Seymour....!!!!????

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PINPIN JUNIOR

Reaction score
Hi my friends & enemy ;)

After a discussion with my friend Guy and his girl friend I take the decision to go for Seymour.
We have a invitation from Alex and We know a other group of 3 peoples will go also for this peak.
With the pinpin's mobile car it was easy to go at the summer parking, tomorrow may be it will be a other story. But We have the Guy 4 runner Toyota to help us if We need!

At 8 o'clock, I check in the register fast and I think Alex group 2 + 3 other peoples + Junior and his friends = 8 = a piece of cake!!! :cool:

Deep snowshoes tracks around 12" from the parking to the juncion with the Calking trail, first surprise We lose a part of the team, only one or two peoples hiked in Seymour direction!!

We meet a man at the Blueberry lean to, and We find the end of the snowshoes tracks : now We know the real game will be here; in the red corner Junior and the in the black corner Seymour!! OK We are ready for the wrestling... :D

The 2,250 steps between the 2 lean to was not to bad the junior snowshoes down around 6".
The 500 next steps, the flat section do not make a trouble.
The next 1000 steps slow up section was a little bit difficult with a couple time 12 " deep.
The next 1000 steps moderate up section change the speed but little train go far (petrit train va loin)
The next 1000 steps hard up section was terrible, impossible to track directly We used the switchback option, try to past by brook bed but it was to steep. Slowly by slowly with go up little by little...

At this time the back side of my leg was have a constance sollicitation and I have the first symptome to cramp.
10 minutes later, I need to stop and massage my leg drink and eat (it is not usual for the Junior traveller) I have a hesitation go up or turn back. :eek:
I know I have probabely only the last 1000 steps but...!!!!????

Junior tell me Are You a mouse or a man? :rolleyes:
Are You a young kid Ask for mamy kiss your pain? :mad:
Are You a legend or a uncognito man? :eek:

This last sentence hurt me , I remove my pack and slowly by slowly We go up with acouple of very difficult section where We need to make 3 steps for avance only one.

Finaly We arrived in the first flat part, at this time We know the cake is ready, few minute later We can see the small yellow disk in the Seymour summit.

Stat to go down meet Christine and Guy they are at 45 minutes to the summit but with a good determination.
Meet the same man at the same place of the morning, We speak with this nice gentleman worked hard a part of last night, to make snowshoes track from the parking to the lean to.

Thank You gentleman Anastahas :) for this chrismas gift. We retuened at the parkimg without memorable other action. We need 7 h 20 minutes round trip but every minute was longer of 60 secondes!!!!

Now We need only 42.... :cool:

P.S. Very few places to park maybe 6 if the cars was correctly park!!
Take care for the car the road conditions will be very different after this day rain!!!

Pinpin Junior

PINPIN JUNIOR said:
Junior tell me Are You a mouse or a man? :rolleyes:
Are You a young kid Ask for mamy kiss your pain? :mad:

Pinpin Junior
YOU ARE STILL A LEGEND! Rock on mon ami! :D

PINPIN JUNIOR said:

Pinpin Junior
Yes you are a legend and I am happy to see you back on the forum again. :D
But I can beleived this, you are human being? :eek:

And I thank you for your help this year.

Last edited:
Pin Pin,
Nice to see you and chat again. No thanks needed. I wonder how many times you broke trail for so many other hikers. You are a legend.

It was a great day to be out and a very good decision to do Seymour. The road was ploughed to the summer trailhead, saving hikers the 4.3 miles (one way) from the winter parking lot.

Unfortunately, I did not make it to the summit. I had to be back for work today and also I knew my son would be worried if I did not get back yesterday. I had planned for a two day trip for this hike. My plan was to start around noon on Friday, hike to Ward Brook LT, stay overnight, Hike up Seymour next morning and head out after that.

After a late start (3 pm), I made it to Blueberry LT a little after 11 pm!!! A ridiculously slow pace of about half a mile an hour. Even then I thought to stay in Blueberry LT to eat, and dry my clothes a little and then rest for an hour and head out to Ward Brook LT. But after getting cozey, the idea went out the window. Instead I spent the night at the Blueberry LT.

In the morning, I was still tired but in good spirits. I had seen in the forum that Alex Lombard with (I think) at least two more people were planning on doing Seymour today. So I figured if they would come we could take turns breaking trail. Well around 10:00 am, I saw a single man going in to Seymour (I did not recognize him then but later I saw it was PinPin). I took only the tripod, camera, waterbottle, and few other necessities and left. I stopped often for photographs and two more people (Christine and Guy) passed me where the trail meets the road after the Blueberry LT. I hiked to the Ward Brook LT. It took me close to an hour to hike there. Obviously my pace was still very slow. I sat there, wrote my notes, took some pictures and added a small entry in the register.

I then decided to call it for the day and turn around. At my pace, I was looking at least 3 hours (most likely 4-5) to the top. And then I would have to hike out. So I headed back slowly with many more breaks for photos. While I was at the LT I saw Pin Pin again. He told me that Seymour was tough but he did make it. We chatted for a few minutes. What a great guy. (Alain, thanks for the photo. I hope I did not mess this one like I did last one).

I gathered my stuff together and started my hike out. Guy and Christine passed me on their way out a little before 5:00 p.m. I was by Blueberry Pond. After Calkins Rd my pace became faster. The trail was more packed and made it out a little after 8 p.m. Driving out was easy without any troubles. I was concerned about the condition of the road and about fallen trees in it. I stopped couple times for much needed sleep at the rest areas on the Northway and made it home at 3:33 a.m.

This morning I am in better shape than I thought I would be. Yesterday my shoulders and feet were very tired but now I am fine.

Did I regret turning around? No.
This is the second time I attempted Seymour in the winter and both times I turned back at the Ward Brook LT. First time was on 3/5/04 when I hiked in from the bridge over Stony Creek. The bursitis on my left hip was acting up and by the time I reached Ward Brook LT it was 3 p.m. That was to be a day trip and was not really ready to stay out the night. I remembered dragging my sorry a _ _ the 8.1 miles back to my car. That was very disappointing because I knew after that failure it would be impossible to end my winter 46ers in one season after I finished the full list.

See... I started my “regular” 46ers on the weekend of 7/12/02 & 7/13/02 with Marcy, Skylight, Gray, Redfield, and Cliff and finish them on the weekend of 7/12/02 & 7/13/02 with Haystack from Elk Lake. I am still working on my write up in order to get my patch. During this time I did Big Slide, Giant, Lower Wolf Jaw, Esther, Phelps, TableTop, Rocky Peak Ridge, and Saddleback in the winter. So I thought that I would be able to finish the winter 46ers in the next season. Well I did Cascade, Porter, Wright, Dial, Nippletop, Donaldson, Street, Nye, Algonquin, Iroquois, Redfield, Marshall, Cliff, Whiteface, Dix, Emmons, Seward, Colvin, and Blake before, as I said before, Seymour shut down my plans to finish them in one season. The next winter (2004-05) I did Colden, Gothics, Sawteeth, Panther, and Santanoni. Then last winter I did none, I fall out of shape, and gained over 60 lbs!!! This winter I was hoping to finish them all. I need 12 more and had scheduled 9 trips for them (every other weekend).

As I was writing this I felt some regret that I turned around but I had to stop and go to work. There I realized that it was probably the right thing to do because I could barely drag my feet at work. Anyway, what went wrong? Being 280 lbs went wrong, carrying a 57 lbs full pack went wrong, breaking trail alone went wrong, being out of shape went wrong. I was also worried about the condition of the road if the rain they predicted on Sunday became frozen and I worried about my son. I had given him a detailed plan of my hike and told him not to worry unless it was Sunday night and hadn’t heard from me but I knew if I was not out by the planned time (7:00 p.m. Saturday) he would be worried sick. If these two last factors weren’t there, I would most likely hike to the summit on Saturday, return to Ward Brook LT, spend the nigh there (I still had enough food ), and hike out the next morning.

Did I enjoy the trip? Absolutely! Was a beautiful day to be out, took more than 80 beautiful (I hope) photographs, learned some lessons about myself, expectations and reality and got some very good experience on winter camping (up to now all my trips in the winter where day trips). Now I know what I have to do: get in shape again, loose the extra weight. No question about it. These peaks will not happen unless I get in shape. I will still try to get some peaks done this season but I do not expect to finish them. For me they are all involved and I do want to leave Marcy for last.

My plan was:
Seymour Mountain - Friday 12/21/07 & Saturday 12/22/07
Couchsachraga Peak - Friday 1/4/08 & Saturday 1/5/08
Allen Mountain - Sunday 1/20/08 & Monday 1/21/08
Macomb Mountain, South Dix (Carson), East Dix (Grace), and Hough Peak - Friday 2/1/08 & Saturday 2/2/08
Mount Haystack and Basin Mountain - Friday 2/15/08 & Saturday 2/16/08
Gray Peak, Mount Skylight, and Mount Marcy - Friday 2/29/08 and Saturday 3/1/08

This winter I will perhaps do less than half of them but that is OK. I can fill the rest of my weekends with other day trips or easy backpacks in the Adirondacks to get and stay in shape. Next winter I hope I will be able to finish them.

One of the highlights of the trip. Seeing and chatting with PinPin. Last time I saw him four years ago his was on his 50th -something round of the 46ers. Well he is now on his 89th round!!! Simply amazing.

PINPIN JUNIOR said:
Slowly by slowly with go up little by little...

At this time the back side of my leg was have a constance sollicitation and I have the first symptome to cramp.
10 minutes later, I need to stop and massage my leg drink and eat (it is not usual for the Junior traveller)
Yikes, this worries me!! I've always felt that with dedicated effort I could keep on doing this forever, based on you being about 5 years ahead of me and still "the man". Now I may have to think about paring down my "octogenarian 12 months 46er" goal!!

Alaine, Glad to see that you are posting again. If anyone's Winter Trip Reports I thoroughly enjoy looking forward to and reading, they are definitely yours!! Your stories have so much humor and certainly brighten up my day.

mavs00 said:
Man, Junior is one tough cookie. He never allow you a minute of rest. Thanks for sharing.

He's just paying his trainer back, for all those training sessions, when he wasn't able to rest. :D