Sharing Snowshoes?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark

Reaction score
If you are on a hike and a member of your hiking party who did not bring snowshoes starts postholing, would it ever make any sense to loan them one of your showshoes? I'm thinking of the situation where you are trying to get your group off the mountain as quickly as possible for whatever reason (incoming bad weather, injury, happy hour, etc.) Is having one snowshoe better or worse than having none? Perhaps a combination of using your hiking poles for flotation and keeping most of your weight on the foot with the snowshoe would help. Obviously, if you loan out one of your snowshoes, you would posthole more too, but would the group as a whole make any better time?

How about the same scenario with crampons?

I've never tried this, but if the situation should ever arise, I'd like to know if this is a viable option.

I wouldn't go with one on one off, too likely to cause an injury IMO. In that situation you can have the snowshoers go first to break a trail, but either way the person without snowshoes (and I've been that person) is pretty screwed.

One crampon is more likely to cause injury. I've had crampons fall off and with one on and one off you go skidding and sliding in all directions. I really won't want to travel with only one. With one person having full gear, they can act as an anchor in difficult situations.

-dave-

I assume you could do the "two-headed monster" trick where you and your buddy wear a snowshoe on the opposite foot, and you put your arms around each other and walk around like that. Otherwise, walking around with one snowshoe, it seems like you'd just be asking for a knee injury by putting extra weight on one leg or trying to balance funny. The best scenario is to let the person trail behind so hopefully the trail will be packed down enough so that he/she without snowshoes won't have to post-hole so much.

It seems like the trip leader though should take care of this by letting everyone in the party know if they should take snowshoes and/or crampons along. I couldn't imagine a situation where I'd lend someone one crampon. If they needed traction and had nothing, most likely I'd give them my snowshoes. Atleat the snowshoe claw is better then nothing.

-Dr. Wu

Maybe you can strap both feet into one snowshoe and bunny hop? :D

I would just lead with the snowshoes and the friend could just follow. I did that once with a friend just after I got my pair of Sherpas, I broke the trail while he tried to follow as good as can be.

You could alternate a bit if you get tired and you could let your friend break trail. Perhaps this is similar to a paceline in cycling?

Jay

Is it like

This sounds like one hand clapping. Actually what you do is carry about 100 meters of light cord. Then the lead person walks 300 feet while laying out the cord, then ties the "traction aides" to the cord and the person in back retrieves them, puts them on and catches up, continues 300 feet past the first person while again laying out the cord who then retrieves them, etc. etc Might make a great contest for winter carnivals or the like.

Last edited:
There was only one time that I wore just a single snowshoe to make any progress. I was floundering badly and realized the only way to make my retreat and get out of the woods was to take one shoe off and use it to belay my self up the hill one step / hop at a time. Make a step, pack the snow, dig in with the snowshoe in one hand, hop up to the step and repeat.
It was very, very slow going.. but it kept me moving and it kept me warm...though it seemed like I was moving in slow motion.
It was either that or dig into the snow and make an emergency bivy for the night.
I opted to keep moving.

Last edited: