Sherburne Ski Trail conditions?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinooktrail

Reaction score
Has anyone done this in the last few days? We are thinking of tomorrow, and I will be the only one on BC skiis, everyone else in the group is on a snowboard. I managed to get down the back side of Wildcat on the same skiis I will be using, but some people have been trying to talk me out of going... Okay, so I am not the most confident thing on two sticks of wood, but I do have some skill... How about sledding? Or is that a big no-no on the ski trail? Thanks for any insight. ;)

Mt Washington Observatory

From the Snow Ranger at Tuckermans today
The John Sherburne Ski Trail has reasonable coverage given the lean snow year. You should still expect hidden hazards such as water ice and rocks.

I know you're not supposed to sled down the Tuckerman ravine trail (below the bowl) but I think the Sherburne trail is open to sledders.

Being I'm not a skier I've been dying to try this versus the boring walk down Tucks; anyone have a recommendation on what kind of sled to use, and is it okay to stash one at Harvard or Ho Jo's and combine it with a walk up to the summit?

I've sledded down it (and the Tuckerman Ravine trail) and they are a lot of fun but probably pretty painful in a low snow year. The trail gets moguled up, so you can't really run in a straight line for long without some serious air time followed by crash and recovery time.

I'd go with a cheap plastic sled, one you aren't very fond of. I'd also bring a helmet. Seriously.

-dave-

It is "legal" to sled on the Sherburne, but it tends to get real well packed and icy. It does get some sun later in the season so its best sledded later in the day when the top few inches turns to slush. I use a ski bob, which is basically a seat with two handles to hang onto. I wear my day pack that is long enough and has enough of a frame that the tail can dig into the snow when I lean back. There are several blind corners that drop down and throw out towards the woods. You have to have the capability of controlling the sled or a good "bail" technique, otherwise, you can get in a world of hurt as there is no run off area and the woods are very mature so there is little underbrush to slow you down. Dave's suggestion of a helmet is a good one.

With that in mind, its a real popular run. If you are in good shape its about a 1 hour and 10 minutes walk from Pinkhams to HoJo's where most peopl start sledding as the upper section towards the bowl usually melts out early.

chinooktrail said:
I managed to get down the back side of Wildcat on the same skiis I will be using, but some people have been trying to talk me out of going...

I have skied both and found Shurburne signifcantly harder (it was also in worse condition). Had a nasty crash--came around a blind cornder to a bad spot and performed a headplant with broken glasses and cut face.

There is at least one very steep (but relatively wide) pitch near the bottom.

Good description in Goodman's guidebook.

Doug

I would say the difficulty of the two trails (Wildcat Valley vs. Sherburne) really depends on the conditions. But, overall I think the Sherburne is more difficult. If you skied the WVT in full tele gear, it would be a breeze compared to the Sherburne. If you skied/survived the WVT, then you should be able to ski the Sherburne. But, if the Shurburne is a mix of ice and bumps, then it is definitely more difficult.

Here's a Jan 28th report from the Chauvin Guides site:

Conditions on the Sherburne have improved with the snow we received this week but much of the skiing on the mountain is still poor. There is a distinct lack of snow and much of what we have is bulletproof. The Little Headwall is still very rocky and brushy and the gullies in The Gulf of Slides are still full of brush. Gully Number 1 is as much an ice climb as a ski run. As of yesterday there were only 26 inches of snow at Hermit Lake.

Check here for latest reports and occasional photos.

cb