Should be an interesting "Foliage Season" to say the least!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting article. Thanks for posting.
The Author has an interesting background. He was an Observer on the Rock Pile for awhile and used the experience to not only learn more about weather but also photography. His Portfolio of New England is extensive especially fall foliage. IMO Downeast Magazine has been and still is an excellent publication in general. You can still get a monthly printed subscription for $28 annually. Which is increasingly becoming more of an anomaly these days. Look up Jim the author of this article. Very impressive photography.

The Author has an interesting background. He was an Observer on the Rock Pile for awhile and used the experience to not only learn more about weather but also photography. His Portfolio of New England is extensive especially fall foliage. IMO Downeast Magazine has been and still is an excellent publication in general. You can still get a monthly printed subscription for $28 annually. Which is increasingly becoming more of an anomaly these days. Look up Jim the author of this article. Very impressive photography.
Yeah, pretty stunning photography. I will miss the NE foliage. I've got to drive about 18 miles into town to see any foliage as there are few trees out here, and those are mostly evergreen. Of course, I will see nice foliage in the northern Front Range, which is about a 1 hour drive to the south.

I was hoping for an actual, you know, prediction, possibly by region to be included, as to the colors. I usually try to go up mid October since we moved south.
Not sure what you mean by "Actual" but I thought this article was a good start. No one really knows until the season actually unfolds. You can follow Jim on FB. He gives regular updates through out the season. Plenty of other sources out there too if you go looking. Living in the area I can tell you not a whole lot going on yet. Hope you pick a good time to go. Enjoy! One of the best times of year in these parts!

Yeah, pretty stunning photography. I will miss the NE foliage. I've got to drive about 18 miles into town to see any foliage as there are few trees out here, and those are mostly evergreen. Of course, I will see nice foliage in the northern Front Range, which is about a 1 hour drive to the south.
Having grown up in NH, I was caught by surprise in Colorado by the Aspen. The rich yellows and the spruce together are quite beautiful in their own right and did not disappoint me in the least.

Well, looks like my trip is probably going to be the third week in October but it's not completely in my control. If there's still leaves in bright colors then I will be lucky.

Well, looks like my trip is probably going to be the third week in October but it's not completely in my control. If there's still leaves in bright colors then I will be lucky.
Southern New England still usually has decent colors at that point. Just picked up on this today. This may be good news for you as your arriving when what is usually a bit late for peak color in the higher and northern elevations. As a note I personally am hesitant for the most part using the term "PEAK COLORS". It is somewhat of a personal observation in the eye of the beholder. I will admit that I am spoiled as I live in the middle of it all. I really try to enjoy the entire evolvement of the Season. I'm sure if you sniff around you should still find some nice color at the time you are arriving. Good season ahead for fall colors? An expert shares his forecast

Last edited: