Showers near Baxter State Park

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sapblatt

Reaction score
Can anyone lead me towards a place where showers can be had when leaving Baxter State Park? After a week in the back country I think this may be a good plan for the ride home...
Alternatively, a place with a pressure washer may work as well! :eek:

Also, a recommendation for a good place to eat (basically anyplace that does not serve Ramen Noodles, Minute Rice or dehydrated meals) in the Millinocket area...we will be entering/exiting towards Millinocket.

Last edited:
Not sure about showers. Big Moose Inn and Campground have showers (they are pay showers - $.25 for 2 minutes). I would assume wouldn't mind non- guests using them (as they are pay showers), but that may not be the case.

Good food (and reasonably priced, too): The Appalachian Trail Cafe on Maine Street in Millinocket.

Little Bear

The Big Moose Inn showers are available to non-patrons. I used their showers back in June and I was lucky enough to get the one that was "broken" (the timer was busted so the water never cut off). :D

The Ledges and Togue Pond Picnic Areas

Both are leach-free swimming areas. The Ledges is a great river swimming hole on the tote road. The Togue Pond swimming area is right by the gate.

We showered at a Whitewater Rafting Outfitter this summer, about three miles outside of the Park -- the owner charged a couple bucks to use his locker/shower rooms, large showers, plenty of hot water. Sorry, can't remember the name of the place.

Big Moose showers were great..hot with pressure

swimming in the Ambijesus..I just like saying that name..Lake pretty good though a might cool..Lake Millonocket warmer and as one might expect has a bit of duckage....

ditto the Appalachian Trail Cafe..a nice stop along the way

Last edited:
OUt the north gate the last place with electric had wonderful showers for anyone with quarters.

Your request reminded me of a trip about twenty five years ago. We always went to Baxter for two weeks and this time driving out we picked up a hitchhiking backpacker who smelled wonderfully of Ivory soap. Ironically we were disgusting, having only had bucket baths, and he put us to shame.

BorealChickadee said:
driving out we picked up a hitchhiking backpacker who smelled wonderfully of Ivory soap. Ironically we were disgusting, having only had bucket baths, and he put us to shame.

LOL! Judy, that made me laugh...whenever I backpack (or go on a really long and stinky dayhike like the one we took to Allen :rolleyes: ), and get close to a trailhead and pass clean hikers, I am shocked at how strong thier bath soap smells!!! :p

PS Nice to see you here, again!

In regards to food, AT Cafe mentioned above is great, If you are looking for more dinner fare, river drivers on the way to Medway- short side road, anyone in town can give directions about a mile on the right past the headquarters building- excellent food

I agree with Mike, the showers at Big Moose were fine. Of course, with a week in the woods probably anything would have felt nice. Since the temps were in the 20's that morning, the ponds were not an attractive alternative.

Some prior posters mentioned the Penobscot Outdoors Center as a possible shower location. One of the rangers at Baxter also recommended this, but thought it had closed a week or two earlier, when the rafting season ended. Thought this was worth mentioning for the benefit of anyone consulting this thread in the future.