Ski Touring in Western Mass or Southern VT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truepatriot09

Reaction score
Melrose, MA; Avatar: Prepping for my first 12 hour
So it looks like ground zero for these two storms we're getting will be western Mass and NH and all of VT.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good half day or day long ski tour? My set up is a free heel on Karhu 10th Mtns so I'm not looking for any huge climbs but some climbing and descending would be fun. I have not done much in these areas, I usually stick the Whites so any info on where to go after you guys get plastered this week would be great.

Thanks everyone!

Cheers,
-ct

Windblown in New Ipswich NH gives access to the Wapack which is excellent for a ski tour over towards Pratt Mt.
The Sharon Ledges, another section of the Wapack in NH, has wonderful terrain going over Holt and Burton Mts.
I've only hiked The Mohawk Trail State Forest on Rte 2 but a lot of the trails would be great for skiing, and you'd be in the company of beautiful old growth trees.
The Heald Tract, in Wilton, NH, also has plenty of terrain and we've hardly ever met anyone there.

Northfield Mountain in Northfield, MA is great for a half day or more. Lots of trails, a mid mountain hot chocolate stop, groomed classic and skate tracks, and ski/snowshoe rentals if you need them. Currently their trail conditions report lists the area as CLOSED but this should change after the storms pull through. The forecast is still calling for 6-9" for my area (I'm about 20 minutes east of there), though I don't have anything on the ground at this moment.

The mountain is located a few miles north of Rt. 2 on Rt. 63.
Website is HERE

Hours are Wednesday-Sunday 9:00 - 4:30
You can also call their 24-hour Snow Phone for the most current conditions: (800) 859-2960

There are too many places to list

The Catamount trail has already been mentioned. A great tour starts from Rte. 9 west of Wilmington and heads north. Not much climbing and descending on that route since it parallels the Deerfield River.

There are a ton of snowmobile trails off of Rte. 9 as you head west from the Deerfield crossing. You'll find them as you go through Searsburg and Woodford. Stop in at Twin Brooks, or True's General, Store and get a map. Here is a link to the trail access spots: http://www.snobusters.com/page14.php. You can ski all the way to the top of Glastenbury Mt. on the snowmobile trails. Right there in Woodford is also Prospect Mt. nordic ski area complete with the now defunct downhill trails if you feel so inclined. There could be some good untracked powder runs available.

A truly excellent backcountry ski tour in S. Vt. is Stratton Pond. There are a couple of trailheads off of the Arlington/W. Wardsboro (a.k.a. Kelly Stand) Rd. Grout Pond is also off of that road. There is a network of ungroomed xc trails circling G.P. complete with a warming hut, courtesy of Green Mt. Nat'l Forest.

In Mass., further up the road from Mohawk Trail S.F., are Savoy and Monroe S.F.s both better for ski touring than Mohawk Trail, IMHO. There is the Dunbar Brook Trail in Monroe S.F. that is spectacular and features its own old growth stands. You can get maps online for all of the state forests from the DCR website.

Not sure how much snow is falling east of the Connecticut but as of now we have over six inches in the center of Ashfield and more at the higher elevations. I'd be willing to bet we get more than a foot out of this current snowfall. All of the locations I mentioned will probably get as much or more. Now up to 18".

Last edited:
We didn't get a whole lot on the edge of the Pioneer Valley - about 6" squished down to 3" by rain.

On the other hand, my mom-in-law lives in Ashby, MA which is about 10 miles south of Windblown and she got AT LEAST 18". Jackpot! Enough snow that WHDH, Channel 7 out of Boston is reporting live from that little town as I type this. I would assume Windblown got an equal dumping.

Have fun wherever you decide to go!

Thanks for all the responses. The way tomorrow's storm is setting up it's looking like we're going to want to get into the good stuff we're going to have to go north and west! Most of MA will probably get rain out of this next one...and who needs that?

Cheers..

There are a ton of snowmobile trails off of Rte. 9 as you head west from the Deerfield crossing. You'll find them as you go through Searsburg and Woodford. Stop in at Twin Brooks, or True's General, Store and get a map. Here is a link to the trail access spots: http://www.snobusters.com/page14.php. You can ski all the way to the top of Glastenbury Mt. on the snowmobile trails. Right there in Woodford is also Prospect Mt. nordic ski area complete with the now defunct downhill trails if you feel so inclined. There could be some good untracked powder runs available.

The Woodford snowmobile club is reporting 60" of snow from the recent storm and before.http://www.snobusters.com/page3.php