Skiing in Hokkaido Japan - Feb 2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just look at my avatar and you will know how I feel about this trip report.!

How'd you choose Japan over Alaska, Tibet, or anywhere else? Opportunity?
I was skiing with Heather at Cannon in 2008 and she said "I'm running a trip to Japan next year and you need to come with." I gave her a check for the down payment later that day. It didn't take a lot of convincing.

If she and Ross run another trip next year I'll go on that one too. :) Someone who was on this trip is talking about organizing a ski mountaineering trip to northern India (where she lives now). Ross also goes to Alaska each year. Since a bunch of these folks live in Crested Butte I'm headed out there before this season is over.

The secret to adventure is low friends in high places.

Beautiful pictures, Dave!

What an amazing trip! I've never thought of Japan as a ski destination, until you told me you were going. Your pictures and report do not disappoint.

And a trip to Crested Butte for you this year....drool...can I hide in your suitcase!? I've been pushing for a trip to Crested Butte, but I'm being outvoted in favor of Telluride or Big Sky MT.

Hey, I'm fine with Crested Butte *or* Telluride! I know sufficiently little about either to make a decision one way or the other.

I can't tell - does the North Face Lift serve Teocali Bowl or is that all hike-to terrain? How much hike-to terrain will you be doing, Dave?

Last edited:
Never skied there. I just confirmed with my host the weekend of choice (end of March) so I'll know more then. :)

NIce TR and pix. Glad you had an awesome time.

I like the photos of the vending machines. I have some very similar shots from when I was there. You have to like the hot / cold vending machines, huh? :)

- darren

I've read various articles about the skiing in Japan and your photos and report echo those articles;the combination of the culture,the mountains and the SNOW make this a life list trip.Very jealous.