Skiing in Hokkaido Japan - Feb 2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Metsky

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
IMG_7461.jpg

Let's just say this was the best snow I've ever skied, bar none. It was deep, steep, untracked, and went on as far as the eye could see. We had run after run, day after day of beautiful snow in an amazing setting, the island of Hokkaido Japan. The trip was arranged through a friend who runs Ultimate Groove telemark camps. This wasn't really an instructional trip, just a ski vacation with some folks to handle the logistics and guiding, especially for the avalanche terrain.

IMG_6875.jpg

IMG_6862.jpg

We met in the Chitose Airport in Sapporo and took a bus to the Niseko area, which has 4 ski resorts and some amazing snow. We stayed at a traditional Japanese hotel which meant wearing kimonos and sandals, 7 course meals of local cuisine, and onsen (outdoor hot baths) every morning and night. It was heaven. Day 1 we took the bus to the resort, took a few lifts to the top, and then traversed into the mist. The rest of the day is a blur of deep powder, blinding white outs, bamboo sticking through the snow, and burning thighs. We were all on tele gear and always were wearing our avy beacons. There are a series of out of bounds gates manned by ski patrol who would check your gear before letting you out. Once outside you were pretty much on your own.

IMG_6643.jpg

IMG_6854.jpg

We spent the next two days repeating this story. Day 2 we took it a bit easier since our legs were shot. Day 3 there were high winds that kept the top of the mountain on wind hold. We found some lower terrain that was epic (deep snow, untracked, perfectly spaced trees) and hit it over and over and over again. That was probably the best 2-3 hours of skiing of my life. On day 4 we went to a smaller ski area to use their lifts to get some backcountry access touring. We left the resort around 10:30 headed for a ridge on the side of Annupuri and then dropped down an incredible run to a gathering point. Instead of going directly to the backcountry onsen we elected to climb another ridge and take a second run. Pretty sweet. We dropped to the onsen, soaked the good soak, then climbed back over the ridge to the ski area (which had already closed for the day) and dropped down the groomed slopes to our hotel.

IMG_7055.jpg

IMG_7152.jpg

Day 5 was our rest day, taking the bus from Niseko to a national park near the center of the island. Our bus driver got a bit lost and our 5 hour trip took 7+, but a rest day is a rest day. At the new hotel we took advantage of local bus service to gain some elevation on Day 6 and hit some true backcountry. We climbed ridges and then dropped down the to main drainage that defined our routes for the next 3 days. I managed to crack my knee on the only rock showing on the entire island (always wear hardshell knee pads) but survived with only a minor boo boo. We found more incredible snow that couldn't be beat, and kept climbing and skiing all day. We always skied with partners in case an avy caught someone off guard but we chose terrain that wasn't at especially high risk.

IMG_7263.jpg

IMG_7427.jpg

Two more days of that, each night with onsen and a magnificent meal and some Bundy rum from Australia. We earned our turns and felt like it at the end of the day. Our last night a huge storm blew in, preventing our bus from making it up the hill to the hotel. The staff had to shuttle us down behind the snow removal payloader to the bus but we survived and all made our planes on time. I spent a few more days in Tokyo but that's beyond the scope of this trip report. :)

Go. If you have the chance, go. You won't be disappointed.

More pictures HERE. The video is HERE.

IMG_7455.jpg

Wow

Powderiffic!!!
Hope to get there someday. Any problems with language barrier or where you able to find English speaking locals?

Love the smilin faces in the photos!

Jeez, I don't even ski and enjoyed all the pics and story. The shot of the half buried skier blasting thru poweder with a smile during a snowstorm is just a fantastic shot.

Dave, what the heck, no shots of hot Japanese girls? Is there a hidden guys only section I can bribe out of you.;)

Jeez, I don't even ski and enjoyed all the pics and story. The shot of the half buried skier blasting thru poweder with a smile during a snowstorm is just a fantastic shot.

Dave, what the heck, no shots of hot Japanese girls? Is there a hidden guys only section I can bribe out of you.;)

what happens in tokyo stays in tokyo?

Dave, what a great TR & pics!!

Really puts Japan now on my to do list at close to the top!!

Powder skiing....aaahhh

Sweet!!!:D

Thanks for sharing!!

Let's just say this was the best snow I've ever skied, bar none. It was deep, steep, untracked, and went on as far as the eye could see.
That was probably the best 2-3 hours of skiing of my life.
That's really all you had to say - I can really sense the sincerity of the epic conditions and empathize that feeling of trumping all previous ski days. That must've been something else out there.
And awesome pics, of course... smiles all around! :)

Unbelievably sweet! If you didn't have a pair of superfats you would sure want to get one for a trip like that. Did you ever ski on anything but powder the entire time?

Very nice t.r. Thanks for sharing it with us, as envious as it makes me.

Great shots, wow. Looks like a real life-changer. How was the view from that top?

How'd you choose Japan over Alaska, Tibet, or anywhere else? Opportunity?

Looks awesome! Congratulations.

Wonderful TR Dave. I'm learning tele and I can only hope to get out in spectacular powder. A trip of a lifetime, I'm sure.
Sandy

Nice Pics!

Great Pics Dave!

I had been looking at that section of the world to do some trekking, but didn't really know what to expect. I have a much better idea now.

Hanna

Dave, how would you rate the snow's consistency, water content, as opposed to out West and the East?

Dave, how would you rate the snow's consistency, water content, as opposed to out West and the East?
Better.

:)

It was as light as Utah powder in most cases. One day, when the sun was out for a bit things got heavier, but that night another foot fell and things were blower again.

Up high, exposed to the fierce winds there was a definite wind slab that was tricky and unfun. You had to pick the right aspect to find the good snow but if you were in the trees things were beautiful.