Skiing on Mount Cardigan

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marshie

Reaction score
I'm planning my first hike and ski adventure and I figured Cardigan would be a good place to lose my green. Does anyone have info on the ski trails on and around the mountain? Thanks a lot.

~ Marshie

This might be a good place to start searching.

They have miles of ski trails. I wouldn't recommend Cardigan as a first winter summit. It is rather steep at the summit cone.

Cardigan is a must-do backcountry ski destination

You can get some good info from this website: Dartmouth Outing Club

Another excellent source is David Goodman's Backcountry Skiing Adventures for Maine & New Hampshire.

The summit cone can have quite funky conditions while at the same time the snow down below tree line is excellent. There's nothing that says you have to start your descent from the summit.

Firescrew is probably a better first choice with ascent (using skins or snowshoes) and descent via the Duke's Trail. The summit snowfields of Firescrew are probably less windblown and have better protection anyway.

I say do Cardigan, especially on skis, and you'll find out why it's such a long-time favorite of backcountry skiers.

I guess I should have been a little more specific...

I've hiked Cardigan in winter before so I'm relatively familiar with what to expect from the trail. Also, I plan on snowshoeing up (I don't have a tele or AT setup :( ).

I guess I should have asked is the location of some good beginner/intermediate backcountry ski destinations in NH. Sorry for the confusion! Thanks again.

Marshie

I guess I should have asked is the location of some good beginner/intermediate backcountry ski destinations in NH.

Ah, no problemo.

Many discussions lately, search away. Quick recap: Lincoln Woods, Hancocks approach, Zealand & environs, Ethan Pond, Wild River (if you can get there: some of it's in Maine, where you can't always get there), Waterville Valley, almost any Kanc Trailhead (Sawyer, Oliverian, pretty much all of them).

But do you say you have no free heel? For strictly down-hill, try the Sherburne (Tuckerman Ravine Trail, Mt. Washington).