Skiing the East

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Without TEO's approval, any undertaking invlolving skiing or hiking should be considered meaningless at best.

Agreed! I move to nominate TEO as the all knower of hiking skiiing and drytooling in the Whites and greater northeast area! Does anyone second this motion?

ApologY for the thread deraileur BenWhiteSkis, I'll be quiet now :D

Agreed! I move to nominate TEO as the all knower of hiking skiiing and drytooling in the Whites and greater northeast area! Does anyone second this motion?

Seconded!

I was only disappointed that Jason limited it to hiking and skiing. I'm glad you added drytooling, but still wonder why the scope has to be so limited.

I'll third it..and remember no salting wether it''s hiking or skiing.:D

Last edited:
Hiking trails are not fun to ski on. Of course I'm looking for interesting ways to descend, whether it be a chute, glade, slide, etc. The way I executed Adams was very poor, because some of these (Isolations, Owl's Head, etc) will have to be done on hiking trail, which is not fun at all. This is a very interesting thread to watch.

because some of these (Isolations, Owl's Head, etc) will have to be done on hiking trail, which is not fun at all.
Somewhere around 1980, a friend and I skied Owls Head via the NNE ridge. We followed the Lincoln Brook trail past the base of the slide and turned onto the ridge a bit S of the height-of-land. All done on wooden XC BC skis with lignostone edges (Bonna 2000) and no skins. No hikers were harmed on the descent...* :)

The ridge was reasonably open (with patches of spruce)--don't know how open it is now.

* Actually, I don't recall passing any hikers. However the trail part of the route is gentle enough that in most places you should be able to pass hikers without too much difficulty.

Doug

Carrigain?
normal_carrigain_002.jpg

topobcski.jpg

I've been curious to come back in the winter to see if this slope on Signal Ridge near Carrigains summit would be good for a few turns. Anybody have any beta on the coverage this gets in the winter? (Wind Scoured?)
Long approach with the road closed, But Might be some thing worth checking out with you Ben?
It would be nice to be able to exit through the notch but I wouldnt plan on it.

Last edited:

From the summit tower

Up close

There is also this snowfield on the shoulder just north of the summit. You may be able to work your way towards the Desolation Trail and back up to do a few runs. Coming over this area from Vose Spur I can tell you that it is pretty thick between this shoulder and the summit tower.

Mid-March, lots of snow, but not completely covered.

Tim

Last edited:
Just checking in. Shoot me an email if you want to do some hiking and/ or skiing

So Ben, how's the skiing going?

For what it's worth, I skied nearly exclusively on hiking trails. Especially in the boreal zone, for most of the NH48, there often aren't viable alternatives to hiking trails. Skiing a stone staircase might be ugly, but it beats bushwhacking on skis through krummholtz at 200' per hour (or less). There are obvious exceptions (think of the famous routes on a selected few mountains), but if you're going to ski all 48, using hiking trails will facilitate your success. (In fact, for a number of the "great routes" down slides, continuing down-mountain off trail may be harder than figuring a way to get back on trail for your exit.)

T

Thanks el-bagr. I've had an epic week, but a little less productive than I thought it would be. I was invited by Scott to finish his NE 67 on the Wildcats, so I got A, and I officially got D, because when I originally thought I got D, I actually didn't. Then some time passed, and I went up and nailed Tom, Field and Willey with Jen on Thursday. Saturday was an epic day on Hale with Alan. I will be uploading videos soon, and will post the youtube and facebook links here. Six peaks in a week, bringing my total to 11

Tecumseh
Cannon
Garfield
Adams
Moosilauke
Wildcat A
Wildcat D
Tom
Field
Willey
Hale

Waumbek should be easy enough about now. The skiing above about 3,000' where the trail starts the big sidehill traverse is just standard survival trail skiing (it might help to ride skins here to keep speed in control, not much room to maneuver at all) but below that it's a wide open hardwood forest with great cover and lots of room for turns. I was up there on Thursday and there were tracks from several recent skiers across this broad, sunny ridge. The new snow will only have improved things.

Thanks Mirabela, I might get that this coming weekend. This weekend, got five more done this weekend. Trypiramids (skied the north slide, it was icy and fun) and the Carters (Imp trail is fun too on the way down). I know I haven't put together the vids from the last conquests, but they will be up eventually, I promise

Just had time to watch Wildcat D, but nice job with the video!