Skiing Tomorrow!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gator

Reaction score
My boss let me take tomorrow off to get some turns in.

What area got more snow? Pinkham or Franconia? Gonna do Wildcat (probably) or Cannon.

Anyone been out in the snow? Should I use snowshoes or bootpack in my skiboots?

Link to early Wildcat skiing
Wildcat

From the Observatory site
Greg, the Hermit Lakes caretaker in Tucks also reports 24 inches of snow from the storm, and required an arduous 10 minute snowshoe to the snowstake this morning around fallen trees. This has me dreaming of only one thing…taking the rock board down the Sherburne Ski Trail in perhaps the most ski-able condition it’s ever been in October! Until then...lots of shoveling ahead...

Waterville Valley pic

There's more snow in VT and northern ME. I've seen reports of people skiing at most of the areas in VT, from Killington north, and Sugarloaf in ME was talking about over 30"! I'm considering heading up to VT this weekend to earn some turns if the weather holds.

-dave-

Sugarloaf hit the motherlode with 40" up top, but my buddy has a meeting he needs to get back to, so we only have time to drive to Wildcat for about a lap and a half probably.

king tut said:
the loaf was saying 40 inches at the top of the mt. There's a few pics from the webcams http://www.sugarloaf.com/daily.html Makes me want to dig out the ski equipment.

Yep......my daughter lives at the Loaf and they did get dumped. She's been skiing and although its pretty heavy, wet stuff, it certainly gets you pretty pumped up for the season. Official opening day is November 18th.

I skied the Sherburne yesterday. Over 36" at Hermit Lake -- the upper Lion's Head trail sign is resting on top of the snowpack. It is kaleidoscopic to blaze down trackless snow through flaming beech and birch leaves. Pics to follow.

Any suggestions for backcountry skiiing in VT? I haven't skied there before, but I may want to give it a shot this weekend if there is enough snow.

I skied the Whiteface highway on Wednesday. Plenty of snow. We hiked from the top of the road to the summit and were sinking hip deep in drifts.

el-bagr said:
I skied the Sherburne yesterday. Over 36" at Hermit Lake -- the upper Lion's Head trail sign is resting on top of the snowpack. It is kaleidoscopic to blaze down trackless snow through flaming beech and birch leaves. Pics to follow.
Ooh, I am so jealous. Love the Sherburne!

I hiked up Tecumseh today(Friday) and skied down Waterville's slopes. WILD! 3 feet of snow on the upper ridge, I was post holing with snow shoes. I'll post a trip report.