skinning / skiing to Carter Notch hut

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the Backcountry Weather Conditions site for Carter Notch:

Below hut, trails are wet, with running water. Above, wet with patches of snow and ice. 11/30/2011
at 08:05 AM

With the disappearance of snow, I decided to just go up to Carter Notch Hut for Saturday overnight. This way I can refresh my memory on the trails and slopes. I considered the Wildcat River trail but I think the trailhead road is unplowed and that could be trouble in the winter. We'll probably head up 19 mile brook trail. If we feel optimistic we might bring sleds for the ride down but I think the snow is probably all gone by now.

snow is all gone was in pinkham notch yesterday looking for anything to skin and found no snow at all. conway was more snow than pinkham which has none:mad:

Thanks for all the replies. FWIW I think the river trail will be great. It is moderate for 80% of thd time with steep finish which we will switch to snowshoes.

Wondering after the road stops being plowed if it becomes a ski trail or if 4wd vehicles still go to the gate? Where does one park in the winter?

I downloaded Jackson Touring Ski Foundation ski map. It appears that the closest parking is by Thirsty Owl Path snowshoe trail.

I downloaded Jackson Touring Ski Foundation ski map. It appears that the closest parking is by Thirsty Owl Path snowshoe trail.

Before you reach the Gate and before the plowing ends there is a parking lot on the right. I believe this area may be under easement to the JSTF and possibly for "paying" JSTF customers. Not sure if that's the case but I would check at the touring center in the village before parking there. Also another note very popular spot on weekends and the lot fills fast. JSTF may provide a shuttle out there on weekends. Again I would check at the touring center.

I've hiked that route. You have to come all the way down the Wildcat Valley Trail to the trailhead on Carter Notch Road, which itself is not plowed in the winter...

We were up in this area yesterday, and met a couple of locals who said that Carter Notch Road would be plowed this winter up to the start of the Hall's Ledge Trail -- which is about 0.2 miles past the trailhead for the Bog Brook Trail, a way of connecting with the southern end of the Wildcat River Trail.

They also mentioned that the road is typically plowed at least as far as the paved section, because of the homes and businesses up to that point. (Mountainside Farm, a year-round bed and breakfast, is located past the end of the pavement, so the road is most likely plowed at least that far.) The paved section of the road ends about 0.5 miles south of the Bog Brook Trail trailhead/parking area.

(Carter Notch Road is now gated where it turns north at the start of the Hall's Ledge Trail; continuing on this section of the road past the gate for about 1.5 miles leads to an intersection with the Wildcat River Trail.)

So, for folks who might want to ski the Bog Brook, Wild River, or Wildcat River Trails (all marked as X-country ski trails) this winter, it may bear checking out.