Sleeping Pad Chair Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kasym

Reaction score
So I've finally decided to splurge and get myself something other than a closed cell foam pad. I was thinking of the thermarest prolight 4 short, but I also saw this MOUNTAIN HARDWEAR Superlight 72 Chair Pad on sale at EMS.

I really like the idea of the quick conversion chair (as opposed to the chair kit you can get for the thermarest prolite, which involves folding the pad and stuffing it into the thing) for sitting in the tent in winter and eating.

Has anyone used this particular pad? Are there any advantages of the thermarest inflatable over this one which is closed/open cell foam? The mountain hardware pad weighs only 2 ounces more than the "short" thermarest prolite 4 including the chair kit. Is there any type of thermarest chair accessory that converts the thermarest into a chair in a similiar fashion as this pad?

I have a 20% off coupon that expires tomorrow to EMS and was planning on looking at the pads at my local store today, unfortunately, they did not have either pad in stock, nor my backup purchases (sleeping bag, new boots, headlamp) to get the most value from my coupon. :mad:

Sorry for the rant :)

Thanks for any info you guys have.

I'm curious about this item as well. It didn't look that much heavier than other pads, and I like the convenience of being able to sit up inside my tent to read etc. I hope your post gets lots of feedback!

1/2 lb

That's about 1/2 lb heavier than a prolite 3 plus thermarest chair sling. If you are weight savy a 1/2 pound might as well be a ton. I'll gladly stuff my pad into the sling to save 1/2 lb. And I always bring my chair sling because of my aching back. I only wish someone sold a silnylon version and save me 5-6 oz. As it is I'll be making one (or paying someone to make me one) this winter or spring. But if 1/2 lb is no big deal to you - go for it - it's certainly cheaper!