Sleeping pad - winter dayhikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty

Reaction score
Hi,

I currently carry a partial Ridge Rest closed cell foam pad on the exterior of my backpack on winter hikes. It is there primarily as insulation for an emergency overnight situation, not for sitting. The primary problem I have with it is that it is bulky.

My questions are:
1. Do you carry a pad?
2. If so, are there any lightweight options that are less bulky than a Ridge Rest? I don't want to carry anything more than 10 ounces.

Thanks,
Marty

I carry a 75" x 20" (original size 75" x 24", .38" thick) piece of REI blue foam--weight ~7 oz* and unroll it inside a large internal frame pack to form a liner. The pack looks big, but isn't heavy.

* measured weight. The spec weight for the full-sized pad is 7.5 oz which gives 6.25 oz for the cut-down pad.

The pad is useful both as insulation or as a magazine splint. I choose the full length to allow a victim or bivouacer to lie down, if needed.

Doug

Last edited:
I carry two: a 36” and a 20” Therm-a-Rest pad for splints. They can double for an insulation pad if need be. They both fit into the back sleeve of my backpack.