Slide from the Neversink

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halia and flammeus

Reaction score
Portrait of a malinois at play (serious business!)
The much discussed, eagerly anticipated ascent of Slide from the Neversink occurred on 9/1! Flammeus and I, with Iske and Lily, hit the trail at 9:00 a.m.

Denning trailhead might be my favorite trailhead in the Catskills – it is such a reward after the long drive. Our first time there we met Mr. Tison (of the Tison Trust – the owners of that gorgeous spot and much of the surrounding woodland). His dog is a Belgian groenendael (same breed as Lily), so of course we have a special fondness for the place! Pulling in at 8:45 a.m., the trail/woods looked amazingly dark. A touch foreboding…

We walked the first 1.2 miles holding hands (aww…), and I was thinking how nice it will be to finish the hike in the same way. The PE trail, from Denning to the intersection with the blue trail is a woods road, and is wide enough and smooth enough to walk easily, swinging your arms and chatting about anything. A very easy and pleasant start to a long hike.

The bridges over the Deer Shanty and Neversink have been improved since our last time out – handrails and everything! Thanks to those that did that work. The dogs had their dip and we headed off in search of the “fisherman’s trail.”

That dang trail played hide and seek with us for the next four or so miles. Now you see it, now you don’t. In some places, it was as well worn and clearly defined as any blazed maintained trail out there. And then, precipitously, it would vanish into hobblebush thickets. I managed to slice open my shin (bruise and cut – I had a lot of forward momentum!) stumbling over a log, and I fell in the river (only once). For those of you into gear – I wore my new Mountain Hardware super duper hiking pants, purchased at the New Paltz salvation army for a buck – they did not rip. And I wore my waterproof hiking boots – hot but my feet stayed dry despite my splash.

We did not see any painted-over blazes (we looked), and we did not see the marker Mudhook pointed out to us. We found that every time we crossed to the north side of the Neversink, we lost the trail, and (I admit it) twice we actually lost the Neversink. I was very focused on not wandering south, following Donovan or some unnamed tributary, so I kept over-correcting. Flammeus was compass bearer, and his work kept us on track. We managed to miss the “fork” in the river – the water level is quite low and there are tons of unnamed, not-on-the-map little streams that come down off Lone or Rocky, so we were never really sure where we were and how far we’d gone. Frequent compass checks and hiking in the nearly dry streambed was our strategy as we got further and further in. Finally, we were in the fully dry streambed, gaining elevation and heading north, when we ran out of streambed. After about 10 steps of pushing through balsams, we found ourselves in a tiny clearing, and I “geared up” (long sleeves, tightened boots laces, etc.). We battened down the hatches on the packs, and got psyched for the formal bushwack part of the hike.

After maybe 10 minutes of extremely moderate balsam abuse, we were in a campsite. Ten steps more, and we were on the WCS trail. I was actually disappointed that the bushwack part wasn’t longer or more difficult! My facial expression must have been precious, standing there on the trail in total amazement that it was over. Sheesh. A piece of cake indeed. The balsams were not much of a challenge at all, and the elevation gain was extremely gradual.

And so we headed west. Flammeus was tired, but I was too exhilarated to be really tired. The dogs were tired. At the spring just east of the ladders/stairs, Iske took a nap, resting her head on a rock. We were low on water, and filtered two more bottles there. Flammeus was beginning to wilt – it was good to stop, and rest a little and have nice cold spring water. I was too summit-focused to mind that I was tired and a tad footsore.

The view from the top of the ladders was spectacular. Just gorgeous. We arrived at the summit a bit before 3 pm, and we were all alone up there. On a holiday weekend, on a gorgeous day… but a couple of folks soon showed up. Flammeus and I lay on our backs on the rocks, just soaking it up. We ate, drank, fed the dogs (yes, I carried dogfood in my pack) and rested. Then we started down.

The views at the open spot just east of the summit are beginning to close in – at my height, I can’t see all that much. Just west of the summit, at the north facing lookout, the views are magnificent. Three firetowers visible. Ravens croaking.

Views at the first lookout on the Curtis Ormsbee trail are also growing in a little – the view of Table is awesome, and then there is Lone, but for me, no view of Rocky. I think someone taller could probably see Rocky and Friday. Second viewspot – there’s Doubletop and Graham, and loads more. Sun was beginning to cast long shadows… we’re all tired now.

At the trail intersection (C/O and PE) we met a group of Princeton University freshmen doing their “orientation.” How cool is that????? We gave their leader some very excited feedback about the hike they were planning.

3 miles back to the car. I actually said “I’m done with all this walking.” After a couple of decent drinks at streams along the way, Iske and Lily revived to the point where they were arguing over sticks and begging to play fetch. Flammeus was mumbling incoherently about ice cream and beer. I was busy finding the next thing to worry about – the daughter left home alone, and what she might have done to the house in our absence. Classic end of the hike stuff. We did get to do the last 1.2 miles holding hands. We arrived at the car at 6 p.m.

Warm thanks to all who gave us information and support. Special mention to Hermit – our chat on Sunday was really helpful, as was all of the input we received from the thread I started. It was a long day, and all that mental effort around following the fisherman’s trail and then following the river tired us out more than I realized. The risk of getting badly lost in that area was ever present for me – unlike my spazz out on Halcott which just meant a long road walk, a navigational error in these parts would mean an unplanned overnight for sure. We always carry the gear to do that relatively safely (warmth, rain protection, 3 different ways to start a fire, headlamps, etc), but we’d be damned uncomfortable, and our kids would be panicked. We were so delighted with how well it went, and so thrilled to not only check off the peak bagging box, but to enjoy such a varied and full day out. This was a hike with a little of everything – easy stroll, tough ascent, bushwack, rock-hopping on a river… it was a great day.

Can’t wait for the next one!

Sounds like a fun trip, glad you are OK and the new MH pants survived! :)

We ran into a similar Princeton U group on the spruceton trail on Hunter early Monday morning. I assume it's not the same group on the burrough's range though. Ran into a lot of college students though, taking advantage of a nice day and before school starts, I guess.

Jay

Great report of a fine wacky adventure, and an enjoyable read - liked the croaking ravens. The dogs sound like real troopers and no doubt enjoyed every minute.

I suspect the Princeton group may have just started school, and taking advantage of the long weekend for a club outing perhaps. I have been encountered many such groups over the years from Cornell, West Point, and many smaller NY/NJ colleges during September and October in the Catskills, Gunks, and Hudson Highlands.

Mark Schaefer said:
Great report of a fine wacky adventure, and an enjoyable read - liked the croaking ravens. The dogs sound like real troopers and no doubt enjoyed every minute.

I suspect the Princeton group may have just started school, and taking advantage of the long weekend for a club outing perhaps. I have been encountered many such groups over the years from Cornell, West Point, and many smaller NY/NJ colleges during September and October in the Catskills, Gunks, and Hudson Highlands.

Nice TR. Thanks for sharing.

I can add , having a daughter starting college in Maine this weekend that many schools have different trips as part of their orientation weekend and these college students could well have been on one of those orientation trips.

The trip leader from that Princeton group explained to us that there are groups of about 10 freshmen with two leaders all over the Catskills - this is part of their freshmen orientation. She said all the freshmen do it - not just environmental studies majors or the like. They were dropped off by bus and will get picked up soon (maybe today? I forget).

Yup, Jay, that was a different Princeton group over at Hunter, and apparently there was a group at North Lake as well, and another on the Devil's Path.

I should have taken a photo of all their gear - a monster pile of packs outside their community tent! The leaders looked a little tired - the kids were loud and happy!

What a great way to start your college experience!

Flammeus speaks!

While there is little to add after Halia's eloquence, I would like to point out that I was NOT incoherent. The two great loves in my life, after Halia, are icecream and good beer. Both are wonderfully rejuvenating and satisfying after an arduous trek, and are often used as a self-imposed carrot to help me through the last few miles of trying to keep up with Halia. So, for the record, I was not mumbling about beer flavored icecream or any such confused blasphemies. I only commented that it had been a sufficiently challenging hike as to warrant both; and I was undecided as to which would come first. As it turned out most of the local stores were closed and I had to settle for wilting lime frozefruit. C'est la vie...

Flammeus

Last edited:
una_dogger said:
Any expert advice on getting a dog up those ladders?

Thanks for the compliment (this is Halia again).

The ladders are not a big deal - they are better described as log steps. A steep staircase, but not more challenging than that. The girls had a tougher time with some of the other ledges that lacked ladders. My dogs are quite athletic, and can jump up, gain a front paw-hold, and then pull themselves up if need be. Where that wasn't working (just too high a jump), they hang on the rock by their front paws and get a butt lift from me or Flammeus. Fear is the mind killer - Lily was more frightened and needed more help, but when confident, she can spring vertically as high as Iske without effort. Each ascent on the WCS trail has tricky (fun!!!) sections that require real effort (human and canine). My sense is that Iske really enjoys it - I know I do!

:)

halia and flammeus said:
The ladders are not a big deal - they are better described as log steps.
:)

Oh, thanks! The guidebooks make that ascent on the backside of Slide sound killer even for a biped! Its the one thing that's kept me from approaching Slide from that way -- didn't think it was doggable. Good news! :)

It's not terribly steep, at least not like the ladder on Armstrong... In fact, in winter, you usually can't find the ladder and you just scramble up...

Jay

Jay H said:
It's not terribly steep, at least not like the ladder on Armstrong... In fact, in winter, you usually can't find the ladder and you just scramble up...

Jay

Oh yah, the ladder on Armstrong is one serious ladder!

IMG_9879.JPG

Last edited:
Excellent report, job well done! That area is quite beautiful and feels about as wild as anywhere in the Cats...It was also nice meeting you guys (and dogs) on Alan's hike. Thanks for sharing. Any pics?
-Tony

I am not a dog expert, but I have seen a few (but not all) dogs balk at going down the log stairs on the east face of Slide. Most dogs seem to have no problems going up. So planning the direction of a loop hike for a climb up the steps might make it more doggable.

Tom Rankin said:
Guinness and Vanilla Ice Cream! Mmmmm! :D

I've never been much of a dry stout fan but I've had my share of stout floats; usually with Mackesson's or our local(Keegan Ales) Mother's Milk stout. I've judged the "specialty beer" category at too many competitions; everything from summer squash beer to hot pepper ale to chicken beer(wasn't too bad actually) and have become more of a traditionalist in my personal tasting.

I know this is probably more appropriate for Views and Brews, so I'll join you there some time.

Flammeus

ROCKYSUMMIT said:
Any pics?
-Tony

Hey - it was great to meet you too :)

I don't use one of those photo sharing sites... so yes, we have some photos, but no good way to share them. I know there is at least one thread in here with suggestions for which one to use. I just haven't gotten there yet. Feel free to scold or admonish...

I must confess - I take photos of odd things - digital photography has increased my natural wierdness since I don't have to buy film or paper. And I can hit delete when even I think the shot stinks. :D

Re: dogs - Mark S. makes an excellent point - up is definitely easier and less fear-inducing than down for my dogs. Up is tougher in terms of working against gravity and sheer muscle effort, but if a dog is prone to be hesitant or fearful, I think looking down scares them. And they can't turn around and back down a ladder, like we can. Iske and Lily have always managed every tough spot going up (so far), but Lily has needed to be lifted down at times. The "lemon squeezer" on the east side of Cornell was too much for her, even after watching Iske and I go down. It is a little personality-dependent too - I think Iske would do anything - especially if I do it first.

Now I am curious about how the girls would do heading down the ladders on Slide... I guess I'll have to go back out there are try it! Meanwhile, Armstrong looks AMAZING. Don't show me photos like that anymore... I am in danger of quitting my job and running away to the Daks (just kidding Flammeus!).

;)