Slide on Lincoln

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob S

Reaction score
Was wondering about THIS SLIDE on Lincoln.

I took this photo a couple of weeks ago when Tuco and I did the FW-OBP loop. The slide looks fresh, but then again, I know little about slides.

Does anyone know when this slide was created? Any info would be greatly appreciated. :) Thanks in advance.

Rob

i12climbup said:
Was wondering about THIS SLIDE on Lincoln.

I took this photo a couple of weeks ago when Tuco and I did the FW-OBP loop. The slide looks fresh, but then again, I know little about slides.

Does anyone know when this slide was created? Any info would be greatly appreciated. :) Thanks in advance.

Rob
That looks like the Lincoln Slide to the East. I's not fresh, it's been there for years. It used to be the way to get to Owl's Head before the Lincoln Brook Trail existed.

Here it is from Owl's Head:

Thanks, PB. Yup, that's the same slide. The color and texture looks so different from most ADK slides. I was going to ask if it was climbable (or descendable), but you already answered my question.

As someone who voted as a non-lister in another thread, I think it would be a lot of fun to attempt Owl's Head via the old route. Has anyone done this recently or heard of someone who has? Would this be crazy (Dr Wu style :D ) or is this whack something that's done semi-regularly?

Several people here have done it. Maybe do a search on 'Lincoln Slide'. ??

carole said:
Several people here have done it. Maybe do a search on 'Lincoln Slide'. ??

THANKS! That did the trick. In fact, I just found out that 10 days ago PB posted on this very subject. Thanks again carole and PB for the info.

Lincolns Throat

I did Lincoln’s Throat last winter and it was amazing. I did it late in the winter so the snow was deep which made bushwhacking to the slide interesting. Nice and open when you find it but it gets tricky toward the top. Make sure you sharpen your crampons. I will post some pictures for you when I get home.

skiguy said:
You should try skiing it sometime.

I did see alot of tracks in there and it does look like some amazing terrain closer to the bottom, but starting at the top would be abit over my head as far as skills go.

My father and I did this bushwack not too long ago. The slide turns into a stream at the bottom, and the stream eventually meets up with the Lincoln Brook. The stream however, very quickly gets completely choked with alder, and is much too rocky and dangerous to follow. The banks are very high and very steep. It forced us into the woods, which are very thick, and has many blowdowns. We went to the right of the stream, and eventually switched to the left, and found that was much easier. There was an old logging road on the left side following the stream, but we did not find it until the last hour of bushwacking, and I'm not sure how far up the stream it goes, so I wouldn't expect to see it until near the end. I'm not saying don't do it, but be prepared to get your butt kicked. :) Total time it took us, 1 hour to get down the slide, very loose and rocky, and about 4 hours of bushwacking. If you look from the Franconia Ridge, you may see a big marsh just to the left of the stream. This is what made us decide to follow the right side of the stream, but both side are very marshy in spots. At least there is plenty of water! :)

Dang it - I thought I had a picture. From up on Franconia Ridge a few weekends ago, I remember actually seeing a pond down there. Was that along your route? Anyone at all been there - know where to find it from below?

please treat plants w/ care

please be careful of the flora if you go that way. I have not taken that route myself (not sure I'd want to), but the general area (Lafayette/Lincoln) is an alpine zone and harbors rare plants in sometimes inconspicuous places (including cliffs & talus slopes).

Usually I'm supportive of bushwhacking & almost never want to see areas blocked off to foot travel, but this may be one of the few exceptions if that area contains something of botanical importance.

I did this hike down the slide a couple years ago and I found the hardest part to be the buswhack through the krummholz at the top. I did not start off the ridge at the right spot and was too far south. Not by much but enough to make the first 150 yards tortuous and bloody. The slide was loose with lots of large boulders balanced on the ridges above my head. Once I got down far enough to get to the stream I moved off to the left and the woods were very thick for less than 50 feet then it opened up and was actually quite easy. I kept the stream on my right and I came across a few pieces of red tape where 'whackers had left a trace. Soon I came out to Lincoln Brook just below a small waterfall on my left and the Lincoln Slide stream on my right. I crossed Lincoln Brook, climbed the stream and I was on the Lincoln Brook Trail. It took me only an hour and fifteen minutes from Franconia Ridge to Lincoln Brook Trail.

I had posted my photos on Webshots back two years ago and if anyone wants to see them, I'll post them up again.

JohnL

JohnL said:
I had posted my photos on Webshots back two years ago and if anyone wants to see them, I'll post them up again.

That would be great! :) What time of year did you do this? I was thinking about late May next year, but the remaining snow may alter that timeframe somewhat. Also, JayH is planning a Presi traverse around that time of year to benefit TBTS. Maybe I'll be able to persuade some of that group into coming along ....... :D

When I did this last summer I found a route to the north prong of the slide which avoided the krumholtz. There was only a few yards of brush to get through. There is a wee bit of Alpine vegetation which, with care, you can step over or around. I got advice on this route from Stinkyfeet who, with Frodo, considered using it on their winter 48 (they ended up going the other way). I initially got the idea from Cave Dog who used it in his record-setting 48.

I've heard it's much tougher to go from the ridge down to the main prong of the slide, so shoot for the long narrow north prong.

As for the bottom, definately go left, but not too far. I went left but strayed too far from the stream. Lesson, get out of the gully sooner, not later and stay within hearing of the stream. It gurgles nicely.

Lots of pictures in my report. Which brings to mind the "Canister" thread. Is there too much information in my report :)?

Here's the report: Owls Head via Lincoln Slide

Edit: fixed above link. Sorry.

Don't tell anyone :D

Last edited:
MichaelJ said:
Dang it - I thought I had a picture. From up on Franconia Ridge a few weekends ago, I remember actually seeing a pond down there. Was that along your route? Anyone at all been there - know where to find it from below?

here's the ponds in the valley between franconia ridge and owl's head.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/418588599/427367129NzJIkI
http://community.webshots.com/photo/418588599/427361670NIuHBM

i was wondering about them too. It seemed like a really, really cool idea to get to them....or a really really bad idea if its super swampy!!!!

it seems like most VFFT'ers are dayhikers, but i'd be up for a multi-night loop out of lincoln woods parking lot, up the osseo, down the slide, maybe to owl's head or 13 falls, and back to lincoln woods?!? Its been an idea of mine since reading papabear's pemi traverse report a while back.

NH_Mtn_Hiker said:
Papa bear:
What's up with that link?
Seems to work ok for me. It jumps to my report then it should jump down to "#day3" which is the relavent portion.

I just tried it with Firefox and with IE. Seems to work. Sorry.

Papa Bear said:
Seems to work ok for me. It jumps to my report then it should jump down to "#day3" which is the relavent portion.

I just tried it with Firefox and with IE. Seems to work. Sorry.

I'm being sent directly to this
I even tried copying and pasting the url.

I agree with most of it, but it's a bit off the subject. :)