Slide on Lincoln

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NH_Mtn_Hiker said:
I'm being sent directly to this
I even tried copying and pasting the url.

I agree with most of it, but it's a bit off the subject. :)

Sorry that was my fault. The link was pointing to my personal web server (PWS) on my PC which I use for testing. It happened that my local server name was the same as a site that links to Richard Stallman's web site. Interesting guy, always liked him.

It's fixed now.

Here it is explicitly:
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2h6gy/papabear/Pemi_Trek_2004.html#day3

Last edited:
the starchild said:
it seems like most VFFT'ers are dayhikers, but i'd be up for a multi-night loop out of lincoln woods parking lot, up the osseo, down the slide, maybe to owl's head or 13 falls, and back to lincoln woods?!? Its been an idea of mine since reading papabear's pemi traverse report a while back.

If you bushwhack down past the slide with the stream on your right, you will come out on the Lincoln Brook Trail about a mile north of the Owl's Head Slide Trail. This will put you about 2 1/2 miles south of 13 Falls, most of it downhill. I day hiked the loop from Lincoln Woods when I did it.

JohnL

am i dreaming or was there a post and a link a few hours ago to a satellite photo of the slide? where'd it go?!?!?

i figured i'd save the link after i got home (at work now) but now its gone.....or is it there and i just can't see it (and thus really need some time off:)

EDIT: i found the link on my browser history, thanks to whomever posted it! I am always amazed and joyful of the resourcefullness and industriousness of y'all, but being outdoors people, i am not tooo surprised!

ps...i don't care what anyone says, industriousness is a real word and spelled correctly!

Last edited:
I remember seeing a pond marked on a old map but it was between Lafayette and Garfield down low in the Pemi. I had found the map on the net didn't mark it and could never find it again. I wonder if this was the pond or if there is a bigger one in that wet area.

the starchild said:
am i dreaming or was there a post and a link a few hours ago to a satellite photo of the slide? where'd it go?!?!?

i figured i'd save the link after i got home (at work now) but now its gone.....or is it there and i just can't see it (and thus really need some time off:)

EDIT: i found the link on my browser history, thanks to whomever posted it! I am always amazed and joyful of the resourcefullness and industriousness of y'all, but being outdoors people, i am not tooo surprised!

ps...i don't care what anyone says, industriousness is a real word and spelled correctly!
I PMed Starchild on this but I may as well go public.

I posted that aerial photo of the slide. Then I deleted the post because I realized that to suggest to anyone (or myself) that we might try to explore the overgrown part of the slide is exactly what you don't want to do. Here we have nature slowly reclaiming the area and I suggest we go tramping down or up this fragile strip.

The photo is nice, but the suggestion of exploring the overgrown section of the slide was inappropriate. With all the talk on the board at this point about overuse of trailless areas, my idea was simply a bad idea.

Thanks for all the great information! I think that down the Lincoln Slide and out Lincoln Brook, with hopefully some investigation of those ponds, is now definitely on my to-do list. It's time to sit down with a topo map and figure out some details. I suspect it may wait until late next summer, after the worst of the bugs but while the days are still lengthy.
:)

MichaelJ said:
Thanks for all the great information! I think that down the Lincoln Slide and out Lincoln Brook, with hopefully some investigation of those ponds, is now definitely on my to-do list. It's time to sit down with a topo map and figure out some details. I suspect it may wait until late next summer, after the worst of the bugs but while the days are still lengthy.
:)

What he said!!

Mike, please keep in touch as I am now thinking about late next summer as well. My usual hiking partner is not interested in stuff like this, and my wife is just way too fond of trails! :p Something about this hike that is just pulling me in like a magnet ....... I've got to do it next year. And I'd prefer not going solo if possible.

Deal. I will definitely post when I start thinking about planning this one!

JKrew81,

I would be real interested to hear how you got from Lincoln's Throat over to Lincoln slide. Both areas are on my list to ski next year but I didn't see much of a route aound the near vertical circue at the head of Lincoln's throat to the ridge. Am planning to investigate this in a few weeks (will post here) so would appreciate your insight.
Thanks!
Yardsale

Nice pics, JohnL. Thanks for posting them. Looks like you had perfect weather. My wife and I are planning to stay in NH next year from September 7th to the 12th, but I think I'll save those days as a backup and shoot for a long weekend mid to late August. Thanks again for the photos and info.

Jkrew81 said:
I did Lincoln’s Throat last winter and it was amazing. I did it late in the winter so the snow was deep which made bushwhacking to the slide interesting. ...
yardsale said:
JKrew81,
I would be real interested to hear how you got from Lincoln's Throat over to Lincoln slide. ...
Would you guys mind telling me what and where is Lincoln's Throat? Never heard of it.

Thanks