Slides On The Tripyramids

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did the N. Slide for my 34th NH 4K peak last November just after Irene ( http://1slowhiker.blogspot.com/2012_11_01_archive.html ). As I say in my trip report it was the hardest, probably the most dangerous and yet my favorite section of any trail I have done. I never did do the flume going up its slide so cant compare it to that. It was hard for me only because of my emphysema, and probably not dangerous as long as you take it slow and its not too wet. It was a bit wet the day I did it but I never really got into trouble and I was using winter boots at the time. I think the key is taking it slow (which I always do) . I did have a little trouble following the trail to the base of the slide but that was because it was fall and there were a lot of leaves just stay parallel to the river and 200- 300 ft up on it and you will run into the slide. Take your time and enjoy it.

Finally got a chance to do the Slides today. Took everyone's advice and hit it on a weekday after a dry period. Couldn't have worked out better. I did not see a single hiker all day (never happened to me in 27 years of hiking) so I didn't have to worry about falling rocks or whether I should yell "rock" or "heads up" if I dislodged one. :). After seeing it first hand I'd say there are definitely steeper trails in the Whites. But they aren't anywhere near as long as the stretches on this trail, particularly the lower 1/3 of the North Slide. I never felt at any point like I could slip and take a huge fall or drop. I could definitely see your feet slipping out from under you and smashing a knee though or doing a face plant. I wouldn't even consider the North Slide in wet weather.

Thanks everyone for the info on the trail. Made for a real nice hike today.

nice!

Finally got a chance to do the Slides today. Took everyone's advice and hit it on a weekday after a dry period. Couldn't have worked out better. I did not see a single hiker all day (never happened to me in 27 years of hiking) so I didn't have to worry about falling rocks or whether I should yell "rock" or "heads up" if I dislodged one. :). After seeing it first hand I'd say there are definitely steeper trails in the Whites. But they aren't anywhere near as long as the stretches on this trail, particularly the lower 1/3 of the North Slide. I never felt at any point like I could slip and take a huge fall or drop. I could definitely see your feet slipping out from under you and smashing a knee though or doing a face plant. I wouldn't even consider the North Slide in wet weather.

Thanks everyone for the info on the trail. Made for a real nice hike today.

sounds like you had a great day! I did this loop 3 or 4 sept.'s ago just me and my friend, nobody else seen all day, dry conditions too, if this hike was closer to me I'd do it frequently..

Finally got a chance to do the Slides today. Took everyone's advice and hit it on a weekday after a dry period. Couldn't have worked out better. I did not see a single hiker all day (never happened to me in 27 years of hiking)...

I've done the full loop clockwise 3 times I usually only saw a few people (and most of them weren't doing the loop). A couple of weeks ago we went counter clockwise up to Kate Sleeper and ran into 30 people. I think something about everyone going in the same direction gives an added sense of solitude, even if you aren't truly alone on the trail. Glad you had a good time!

Last edited:
I remember doing the rock slides about 5 years ago and they were really no issues. They are large rocks, boulders so they will keep your speed down. They offer some great views as well. I also did the flume slide in the rain by mistake and the tripyrimad is nothing compared to that one. have a great time!