Smart people.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
I think the stupidist person I've ever seen out in the woods was me! :D

Luckily, he survived and now manages to do more things right than wrong, most of the time.

But what about the smartest people out there? The smartest hikers, best decision makers, smartest leaders, most navigationally skilled etc. etc.

What have you seen that you thought was pretty good?

People who can look at a map, figure out the forest floor and the best place to get to to set up camp in REALLY bad weather amaze me. They know which way the wind is blowing in more than one sense. And usually the sites were pretty great! Unfortunately he no longer hikes with me, or probably hikes at all, but hopefully I learned a few things along the way hiking and backpacking with him for a little over ten years...

:rolleyes:

carole said:
Smart people are the ones that learn from the stupid people - whether they be ourselves or another. :)
Or, smart people don't learn from stupid people because they're smart enough to avoid them. :D

Smart people on the trails = experience. I was out hiking one time after a terrible windstorm. Hikers were reporting blowdowns everywhere. The most experienced(smartest) person in our group suggested we take a certain trail down because the trail was densly populated by hardwoods, and therefore less likely to have blowdowns. I might be one of the stupid people to think that is smart!!

Hey little Sis, I remember that trip! She also said that we would have better light in the hardwoods as it was getting dark out. I remember thinking how smart she was to think of that too!

:)

I am always greatful when I have a talk along the trail with one othe those hikers in their 70's (or older) and they share their stories, trail knowledge and experiences.

Knowing when to turn around

Looking back, I now smile and think of smart decisions made that prompted the earlier than planned end of that days fun, and let us avoid reaching into the bag of skills to get out of a situation that we all knew we should have not let ourselves get into......

Sometimes, by far the smartest desicion is to turn around.....early

My wife is a very smart person! :D

She knows when to turn around, she knows her limits, she always carries enough gear to be prepared for anything. She's learned to navigate well in the back woods. She knows wilderness first aid.

A lot of 'smarts' is what we learn and apply. Intelligence is no substitute for training, wisdom, and good decision making.

The smart idea the hiker got yesterday could easily be a stupid one the day after.

I believe luck plays a big role in the adventurous hikes.

And true intelligence shows up when a bad luck could be fatal.

After a while of thinking about this, I finally came up with one. I recently went on a backpacking trip in the Brooks Range of Alaska. I was good friends with two people; two more I had camped, skied, or hiked with a couple of times; and three I had never met at all.

All of us, except for one, was what I would consider a "backpacker" or "hiker" on some level. The one who was not was a "woodsman". He is what I consider to be the "Smart Person" of the group.

He is a logger in upstate NY. While virtually everyone of us had spent time time, a lot of time, in the backwoods of the Northeast, our bear encounters were minimal. Our experience in Alaska was virtually non-existant.

The Woodsman had been to Alaska hunting grizzly and caribou. He knew to tip the floatplane operator. He silently sat by while there was a debate about where to put the pepper spray. Then, after the decision (a very stupid one) was made to mount them on the BACK of the pack, so the person behind you could get to it easily, he interjected with "Your F-en stupid. If a bear comes charging you aren't going to have to time to call out and get some help. Keep it on your hipbelt like a pistol in it's holster". Aaah, yeah. That makes sense.

We were trying to figure out just exactly where we were after nine hours of hiking, and where our planned campsite was. Again, he sat silently aside with me (I already learned to latch onto him :) ) and when everyone decided where to go, he stood up, grabbed his map, and said "It's right over that ridge". We followed his advice, and there it was.

He is the one who fileted the fresh fish we caught. He is the one who carried the rifle, and knew of it's importance, but also knew how glad we all were that he didn't need to use it. He pointed out the sheep way the hell up on this ridge that just looked like white rocks to us. He read the weather better. He read the flora better. He identified all the various tracks we saw better.

While seven of us were decked out in Patagonia, REI, Mtn. Hardwear, and Marmot gear with Lowe's packs and fleece and gore-tex and polypro and nylon shells; he was there with his woolies, wool shirt, cabela's hat, suspenders, hunting boots, and the camo pack. He wore forest green, red/black checkered shirts, and camo all over. We were in red, orange, and blues.

I've been in the woods for almost 40 years, and I never learned so much as I did in those five nights.