Snickers completes the 48

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doodles

Reaction score
First of all CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was an honor for me to join Snickers on her last 4 peaks to complete the 48. She made a 10 day trip for 16 peaks. I will report on the last 2.

Sunday was going to be # 47 Owls Head. We started out from Lincoln Woods VC for the 18 mile hike. We made our way up the Franconia Falls Tr and followed the stream up to Lincoln Brook Tr. The morning was looking great. Sunny and not a cloud in the sky. We were moving right along making good time. The turn up the slide slowed us down a bit as we marveled at the fantastic views off the slide. It was a very busy day on Owls Head. I figure we came across about 20 hikers through out the day. Congrats to the gentleman that finished the same time we were on the summit. We took our picture and headed back down to the slide for our lunch break. After the break we continued down and headed out. The trail out seemed never ending, but Snickers never skipped a beat. Once at the PA, I think Snickers had no beats left. She did fantastic on this hike. I was wondering at this point if she was going to keep walking right to Carrigain. NO, this would have to wait to the next day.

The plan on Monday was to be up at 6 am and hiking by 8. At 5:30 I was awaken by a "hey is it time to go yet? ". My response of "no as I rolled over in my hammock for my last 1/2 hr of sleep. How can anyone sleep? I think the Jeep Hilton doors open and closed about 92 times. Well if Snickersw is going to keep making noise, I might as well get up. We packed up camp and we were off for breakfast and the big finish.

As we stopped for a picture at the Signal Ridge Tr sign, Snickers flashed the biggest smile I've ever seen. # 48 here we come. We had another glorious day to hike. Sunny blue skies. We made our way up to the great view points for a quick break as the summit looked down on us. After the break, I went ahead of Snickers for the summit. I made my way to the tower and set up the bottles of champagne on the top rail and camera set. I was wrong back at the trail head. The biggest smile was as Snickers stepped off the last step at the tower summit. We had the champagne toast and took in the unbelievable views.

After a few minutes Mike from Maine showed up. This was his finish as well. CONGRATS to Mike.

It was time to start back down. I mentioned that she was only at #47 1/2 since we needed to get back down. We had a nice hike down and headed for home.

Once again CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A few pictures.
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/560552417hGSVIu

Last edited:
Thanks Doodles for being with me on my finish

At Doodles urging I will write a short TR.

I am still alive and still walking.

10 days and 16 peaks; it was a great trip, challenging, fun, rewarding. For me this was more than just bagging peaks; it was a journey of reflection and growth. My first trip to the Whites was August of 2004, we hiked up King Ravine to Mt. Adams. My first high peak ever was Katahdin a few days before Adams. I can remember how scared and nervous I was on that trip as I had heard many stories of how hard Katahdin was to hike. Then we headed to the Whites, again I heard many stories on how hard the Whites are.

As I headed up the Whites on this solo trip I was a little apprehensive. Ten days of hiking virtually alone; what will that be like??

Saturday my friend Mark met me and we hiked Moosilauke via Beaver Pond, very nice hike and day, that evening Doodles and Zero-G met up with me to camp with me for the weekend. They were up bagging other peaks.

Sunday the Kinsmans, up past Lonesome Lake to the Fishing Jimmy to Kinsman Ridge, not many views as Cannon and the Kinsmans were in the clouds all day, even raining in my cloud.

Monday, pack up camp and head over to Pinkham, I made a reservation at Carter Notch Hut for Monday night. Hiked up the Wildcat's to Carter Notch, great hike, great views on this crystal clear sunny day.
Tuesday morning left the hut after a great breakfast, this would be my hardest and longest day, Carter Dome, Mt. Hight, Middle Carter, S. Carter, N. Carter and Mt. Moriah, very tired feet, came down the Stony Brook Trail, last two miles I was tired.

Wednesday, late start to Mt. Cabot, did the horn on the way up went in via Unknown Pond, very nice, relaxing hike and day, very gentle trail, easy on the feet and knees.

Thursday, Mt. Waumbek, another relaxing hike, easy on the feet and knees, very early start as they were calling for afternoon t-storms. Very nice day.

Friday, late start, Jackson, waiting for the clouds to clear out, never did, hiked in a rainy cloud all day.

Friday evening Doodles found me in a laundromat washing my hiking clothes, we went to dinner and made our plans for Saturday.

Saturday - Jefferson for both of us, Adams for George I headed to Madison hut and waited for George all of 5 minutes, Madison for both of us. Up the Caps Ridge trail, over the Gulfside, down the Webster to the Valley Way. Day started out in the clouds, wind blowing, cold, put long johns on, hat, gloves and fleece. Day cleared out nice by the time we summited Madison.

Sunday, Owl's Head, long day, beautiful day, great views of the Franconia Ridge, slide was much easier than I had anticipated.

Monday, I am still walking. Carrigain, great day, sunny, cool, breezy. I am not sore, but I am tired and it took me what seemed like forever to reach the summit. Wooooohooooooo!!!!!!! Doodles carried up two little glass bottles of champange!!!! Great hike with a good friend. Thanks George for being there with me.

It was a great journey!! I have come a long way from the scared woman that first hiked up Mt. Katahdin and Adams in 2004. I did cry on the way up Carrigain as I was reflecting back on my journey to this point in my life. I have done things that I would never have thought possible and I am loving every minute of it.

I made it to the big dance!!! Now to send in my application to the 4000 Footers.

pictures

Happy Trails - Cindy

Congratulations! I can't imagine hiking 16 peaks in 10 days (I want to know which boots you have!) Awesome accomplishment! Great pictures. Excellent choice finishing on Carrigain. Well done! :)

Like I said at the other place, you are the most determined, persistant hiker out there, congrats!

Thanks, it was fun and beautiful.

No boots, trail runners. I have a hard time with boots. Merrell Continuum with spenco insoles. On day 5 I had to take the original insoles out and replace with the spenco's as my feet were getting very fatigued and my toes sore. The spenco's did the trick.

Cindy

Wow, Snickers you are really something!!! Congrats on your super finish. You've accomplished so much in such a very short time. Good for you!
-Tony

Thanks Kathy.....Congrats!!! What's next? Hopefully you having that baby. ;) Hope all is going well.

The Daks, need you ask. :D

Cindy