snow amounts ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rangeley

Just spoke to a friend in Rangeley, a foot on the ground in town, but she said it's heavy, wet and melting.

injektilo said:
http://www.nohrsc.nws.gov/interactive/html/map.html

NOAA's interactive snow model is pretty cool... I use it often. Simply drag a box around the area of interest and it will zoom in. You can map various parameters such as snow-water equiv, snow depth, snowpack temp, etc. They even have forest density. Pretty cool stuff!

Cool! Thanks for posting!

The higher elevations in Sussex County NJ received a dusting on metal like cars and roofs. Passing by Sunrise MT shelter there was a coating on the roof. Nothing on the ground though. Also had to be 1300+ft up. *00ft and up saw a mix of snow and rain

Promised Land area in PA (Poconos) got 2-4 inches.

Trails are messy north side of Presis

Expect challenging hiking trails this weekend

Out for a stroll on Lowes Path today late afternoon today
Down and bent over trees obscure the trail
I put on snowshoes about 1 mile up. Route finding on this trail which I have hiked many many times was very challenging- expect this on many other trails

Turned back as travel in the dark would be very difficult due to conditions

I understood it took many hours to clear the Mt washington Auto road of trees at lower levels so they can make the trip up tomorrow

CT

Thanks for the links. Plus, how accurate are the snow maps? I ask because when I was in the Whites this weekend, there was snow at base level from Franconia Notch northward. When I left Sunday morning, there was still snow on the ground everywhere until I reached the southern end of the notch. Considering where the snow was at baseline, I wonder which peaks toward southern New Hampshire (i.e. Smarts, Belknap, or Monadnock) still have snow on them. According to the NOAA map, none of them do, but it makes me wonder if their snow really did melt within the last few days. With the non-winter conditions hiking season quickly winding down, it would be good to know which mountains I can still claim that don't require five hours of post-holing.

Nate said:
Considering where the snow was at baseline, I wonder which peaks toward southern New Hampshire (i.e. Smarts, Belknap, or Monadnock) still have snow on them. According to the NOAA map, none of them do, but it makes me wonder if their snow really did melt within the last few days. With the non-winter conditions hiking season quickly winding down, it would be good to know which mountains I can still claim that don't require five hours of post-holing.

Expect only pockets of snow in the Belknap and Ossipee range. What hasn't melted yet, will this week, with warm sunshine!! :)

We encountered 2-3 feet of snow 10/29 in the Adirondacks at 3500' elevation. Higher in drifts and spruce traps that caught my g.f. up to her arm pits! :eek:

A Tale of Two Weathers!

Tom Rankin said:
We encountered 2-3 feet of snow 10/29 in the Adirondacks at 3500' elevation. Higher in drifts and spruce traps that caught my g.f. up to her arm pits! :eek:

And it was 70 degrees, and I hiked in shorts today in northern NJ!

Fred

I was just looking at the snow depth map on the NOAA site, and considering it now shows no snow for the northeast, where exactly is the snowline in the Whites right now?

snow amount update

ok, after all these rumours and reports of snow, can we get some updates on snow amounts in the mountains. I'm curious about tomorrow's hike up Moosilaukee, but reports of anywhere are most welcome.
thanks

Not much snow

hikerfast said:
ok, after all these rumours and reports of snow, can we get some updates on snow amounts in the mountains. I'm curious about tomorrow's hike up Moosilaukee, but reports of anywhere are most welcome.
thanks

Rocky Branch trailhead had about 2" as of 6:30 last night. The most snow we saw was on the Davis Path North of Isolation, about 10" with drifts to 18".

Plymouth, NH has about 2" on the ground this morning. Yesterday's storm was a dud.

The ground is still a little warm so the snow appears to be melting even though the air temp has been around 20 degrees for about the last 24 hours.

We got 4" in Peterborough, 6" in Dublin. Tenney Mountain which is fairly close to the Moose reported 5" new from yesterday.

Got 2 - 3 inches on the ground in Bethel, ME. Don't know what the hills got.
-vegematic

Wow only 2 inches in Plymouth...I think they get shadowed by the mountains because every storm I witnessed while I went to school there ended up coming up short to my expectations. Down here in Chester, NH, we got about 4 inches...and if there hadn't have been a period of freezing rain, we would have had more.

grouseking