Snow at Mount Cardigan

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill bowden

Reaction score
We got about a foot of very light powder at Cardigan this weekend, changed the trails from trecherous (sp?) and icy to pleasant. Perhaps we can yet salvage something from this annoyingly midwestern winter.

I guess there was more snow further south (again!). On Saturday we wore crampons on most of the Liberty Spring Trail (put them on after stream crossing), met a hiker who was cursing his insuuficiently adhesive Stabilicers.

Yesterday we were on Waumbek. On the drive we noticed how little snow there was off Rt 115. Helped by the gentle grades we were able to bare boot to the summit, but many of us decided to don crampons for the way down.

In both cases a thin covering of snow over a layer of dense ice. Yuck :(

Sir, I knew Midwestern winter. Midwestern winter was a friend of mine. And this, sir, is no Midwestern winter. (Except today, which reminds one of the typical first week in January in the Twin Cities . . . :cool: )

(with apologies to the memory of Lloyd Bentsen, for misappropriating one of the great political quotes of all time.)

From this morning's AMC's backcountry condtions at Cardigan lodge.

WIND ADVISORY. All Trails: Hard-packed w/ large areas of ice. Traction gear highly recommended. 10.5" of snow on the ground at the lodge.

Does the Cardigan Lodge have a website where it posts it's weather information and forecasts? Thanks!

I'm looking at doing Cardigan late April/early May or whenever the snow is gone. Waiting for spring hikes! So I'd like to see updates on the snow situation on the trails if possible. Thanks for any help.

The AMC posts backcountry condition reports here. Cardigan is included but doesn't report every day, especially now that the snow is melting rapidly.

-dave-

Some of the trails on Cardigan are notoriously icy

In the springtime, so 3 season hikers should show some concern for particularly the Manning and Vistamont trails where water ice persists well into the spring, even well after the snow is gone from most trails.

Yeah, I'm only a 3 season hiker and Cardigan is our first for this season. We had set a date of May 6th, but with this dry weather and no snow, we may be attempting it end of April maybe.

Now originally I wanted up the Holt and down Manning. But now I keep hearing how icy it can remain up there even in Springtime.

So I have now thought about changing the route up and going up Holt, but then diverging off for Cathedral Forest Trail to Clark Trail to the top. Then still head over to Firescrew by Mowgli's but then make another decision to either continue down Manning or just backtrack our ascent route.

At this point, taking that ascent up instead of Holt the entire way sounds more sensible. I've never done Cardigan but was excited to do that Holt all the way up, but I think that would be better in perfect conditions in more like summertime. But the Manning stays icy in the spring also? Would it be smart to still try going down Manning or just better off backtracking?

I can deal with some adversity, but I am going up with my father-in-law who is on the verge of retiring so he's like 68 years old. I don't want to get him on anything semi-dangerous with icy conditions.

Cardigan in spring

For what my opinion is worth, the Manning is very shaded and get's little sunlight so the ice lasts a long time there. I'll be there in late April (21-23) if you PM me after tha tI can giv eyou a better guess.

Ascent by the Holt is reasonably straightforward if very steep and is well-exposed to sunlight so it is not a bad route provided all of your party are comfortable with it. Descent via Holt-Clark cutoff after a trip over to Firescrew is very reasonable. There are a couple of view ledges on the way down offering nice spots for breaks.

try the other side?

If your aim is to get up Cardigan and avoid ice, you might want to go from Mt Cardigan State Park on the west side (in the town of Orange, just east of Canaan.) The trails on the west are more gentle and also lose their snow earlier than the shaded and steeper trails on the east. And there's a great loop, starting on the West Ridge Trail, then taking the S. Ridge Trail to the S. Peak, then to the Clark Trail by the ranger's cabin, and the Clark trail to the top. Descend by the West Ridge trail. On a nice day Cardigan is always a delight.