Snow-free hikes?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Squam Range trails seem to be snow-free. Today we went up the Doublehead Trail, and across the ridge to Mt. Morgan, down by Mt. Morgan Trail. A few very small and insignificant patches of snow remain, but nothing significant. My guess is that the whole Crawford-Ridgepole Trail is now essentially snow-free, time to start doing the traverse!

A couple of nasty blowdowns between Mt. Squam and Mt. Percival, but that is not the topic of this thread :)

White Horse Ledge is bare in North Conway.

Mt. Israel is bare with the exception of a few packed patches up top.

Cardigan is about 90% snow free but the 10% is inconsequential. Carr Mtn still has snow above the spruce line but 5 of the 12 people hiking it today, including me, were bare booting it with little trouble. 2 of the barebooters came over from the Warren side.

Stratton is still hiding plenty of snow above 3000'. At some points the snowpack on the trail is still several feet deep.

We were happy to have our snowshoes from about 2,950 feet up on a loop of the Wonalancet Range, Walden and Dicey's Mill Trails today, near Passaconaway. The snow was several feet deep in some hollows - major postholing in the soft stuff averted. Spots with southern exposure are clear higher up than that, of course.

Mt. Roberts in the Ossipee Mountains was bare and dry nearly all the way up (a few patches of snow and mud near the summit, fairly avoidable).

Does anyone have any info on the snow cover on the Davis Path from the trailhead to the summit of Mt. Crawford?

Thanks!
^MtnMike^

Last edited:
I hiked the Liberty trail today and it is indeed mostly snow free (some snow/ice below the cabin to the trail junction).

South Moat is basically snow free also, with a pocket of snow between that and Middle Moat.

We can go ahead and add Hedgehog Mtn. and it's neighbor Mt. Potash to this growing list.

The trails were pretty dry too, today. Downes Brook crossing on the Mt. Potash trail was still a little high, water covered a few key steeping stones which made me switch to Tevas to cross and get my feet wet.

TDawg said:
Downes Brook crossing on the Mt. Potash trail was still a little high, water covered a few key steeping stones which made me switch to Tevas to cross and get my feet wet.
The NEW!!! WMG gives a bypass for the Downes Brook crossing; previously it was only written up in Steve Smith's Snowshoe Hikes in the White Mountains:
After crossing Downes Brook (may be difficult) at 0.1 mile, the trail turns sharp left and soon crosses a gravel logging road. (This road provides an alternate approach to the trail that avoids the often difficult brook crossing; it begins at a gate on the Kancamagus Highway 0.6 miles west of the trailhead -- take care not to block the gate when parking)

Still lots-O-snow in the Carter Range. Myself and some friends hiked the Wildcats, Carter Dome, and S&M Carter on Saturday, and there was still 3+ feet of snow above 3500'. We took the Polecat Trail up the ski slopes (which didn't have much snow), and took the Imp Trail down which had consistent snow down to 2400'. There will still be snow up there well into June...

We were discussing that this will be one of those Springs where shorts, deet, and snowshoes will be required on the same hike... :eek:

Up Frankstein Cliff, over to Ripley Falls, back up and over to Arethusa Falls and down, then down the road and up to Mt. Crawford = all snow free :)

And I'm beat.....

Last edited:
Al Merrill Loop is dry and snowfree but the Asquam Trail up to Mts Jim and Waternomee still has plenty of crusty snow.

Mohamed Ellozy said:
The NEW!!! WMG gives a bypass for the Downes Brook crossing; previously it was only written up in Steve Smith's Snowshoe Hikes in the White Mountains:
It was in the prebious edition WMG also

Someday I will try the logging road that potentially bypasses 3 crossings of Little River