Snow Lovers May Be Rejoicing On Friday 2/8

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4"+ in Freeport, ME. Coming down at a decent clip. Pretty cold (9 degrees) so light and fluffy.

12 degrees, snowing lightly with 3 inches on ground. Driving down to 1 lane on 93 and everyone is behaving themselves! Cold though, slight breeze, slowly picking up here.

About 1" in Lebanon, NH right now. Has stopped snowing for the last hour or so.

we're getting up to about 8 inches now at 3PM. 16 car pileup on 295 at 7:30AM :)

Interesting - I was originally planning to head up to Franconia Ridge on Sunday. I haven't heard of it sliding but I can imagine the area between the hut and Lafayette could, under the right conditions, be prone to slide. Anyone remember it sliding? What are the chances? Where else, outside the Presidential ravines and slides, might be susceptible given current conditions?
I'm not aware of any snow avalanches having occurred at that spot. (But it can be a bad area in which to fall...) It is on the west side of the ridge--the prevailing westerlies tend to blow the snow over to the other side. However, this storm is predicted to begin with easterly winds swinging around to the N and NNW as the storm progresses so there might be significant deposition on the upper part of the trail.

Some general guidelines:
* Most avalanches happen on slopes between 25 and 60 degrees.
* Snow accumulation at 1inch/hr or more is likely to slide.
* Most avalanches happen within 24 hrs of the snow, longer if it is really cold.
* If there is enough space between the trees to ski, there is enough room for the snow to slide.
(There is a lot more...)

Doug

Last edited:
I wouldn't say this stuff is light and fluffy but I just cleared 6" off part of my deck with a leaf blower just pushing it down wind.

I saw that there were gusting winds of 69 mph in Newburyport MA! Here in Cambridge MA strong blowing winds and constant snow. Now maybe 5 inches, rather heavy. Will get cooler overnight so the snow will be more fluffy in the morning, I hope. I stand happily corrected from my earlier skepticism. If things keep up like this all night--light snow but falling fast and steadily--we'll have some big accumulations by tomorrow.

About 4" in Brookline (MA :)) of heavy stuff ... temperature at Logan has been on either side of freezing (mainly just above) all day.

... Now maybe 5 inches, rather heavy. Will get cooler overnight so the snow will be more fluffy in the morning, I hope.

The really good news is that it has been much cooler up north ... in Plymouth the temps were around 20 all day, so we can expect fluffy snow once we have dug out of the heavy stuff down in the Boston area.

Not much going on at Waterville Valley. Looks like 5 inches of snow at best and not much wind. Hoping for more during the overnight.

I saw that there were gusting winds of 69 mph in Newburyport MA! Here in Cambridge MA strong blowing winds and constant snow. Now maybe 5 inches, rather heavy. Will get cooler overnight so the snow will be more fluffy in the morning, I hope. I stand happily corrected from my earlier skepticism. If things keep up like this all night--light snow but falling fast and steadily--we'll have some big accumulations by tomorrow.

We're in the teeth of it now - snowing really hard and blowing pretty good. Definitely blizzard conditions. I'd say visibility of 500-1000 feet, 40 mph steady + gusts, and, per State Emergency Ops Center, about 4-5"/hour snow in Hartford/West Hartford.

Here in Bedford MA (NW Boston suburbs) at 11:30pm, I have 6 inches on the wind-scoured back deck (N side) and a 17 inch drift on the front porch (S side). (Both measured while standing in the respective doorways.) The starting temp was ~32F so the base is probably fairly dense, but the current temp is ~18F and surface snow is a nice light dry powder. Blue or green wax for the XC skiers...

Doug

Just went out in it to clear car of snow and check out the storm. Pretty brutish now. Swirling winds in the 30-50 range and heavy snow. Visibility no more than 500'. We've gotten about 12-15" of snow so far, and as it's light and powdery, it' drifting a lot in the wind, 2.5' in some places, 6" in others. Beautiful!

Last edited:
Good morning. We got snow. Before I shovel the driveway I will have to shovel my porch and find my boots in there somewhere. Who hoo! It is safe to say I won't be driving to the mountains this morning.