snow shoes manatory?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
I have always brought my snow shoes, needed or not. I was talking with a local on top of rooster comb(ADK) and I asked him about the local trails during winter. he said the trails are so packed down you only need instep crampons on most of the trails. Don't you have to have snow shoes with you at all times? :confused:

This was discussed long (and loud) last year. Search for the threads if you care to read all the posts. You are required to possess *and wear* snowshoes or skies in winter. I agree that it does seem strange to require it on all hikes, on all days, on all trails.

There are many times when the ADK trails are hard packed and snowshoes are just extra weight. I think, however, that the rule is more or less a good one, because of many factors, such as postholing ruining the trails, quickly changing conditions, safety, etc. I tend to wear mine quite a bit more than some other people. Partly I figure if I'm bringing a piece of gear, I might as well use it! It spreads the weight of my gear out a little in any case. And the added safety is a plus. If you watch barebooted hikers, they tend to slip just a little bit on each step. And over 8 hours, that can add up!

Last edited:
I think it's actually 8 inches. You can be fined if you don't have them, but it usually depends on the individual ranger, just as in most BC regs.

But the guy is right, often times, unless it's after a big snow, the trail are packed pretty well.

spaddock said:
This is the switching season for sure. Start off bareboot, switch into crampons, into snowshoes, back to crampons, etc.-Shayne

Having MSRs (and a tall frame), I almost never need crampons. But I've got them down at the bottom of the pack.

Tom Rankin said:
Having MSRs (and a tall frame), I almost never need crampons. But I've got them down at the bottom of the pack.

Yes I must admit with my MSR's crampons can be a rarity. Most of the time I'm just adding extra weight in my pack.

I can think of a few times (Colvin, Gray, and Skylight come to mind) when I was glad to have them.

BRING ON THE WHITE STUFF!

-Shayne

I'm looking into getting new snowshoes right now, which MSR's are you guys referring to?

cbcbd said:
I'm looking into getting new snowshoes right now, which MSR's are you guys referring to?

I'm referring to my MSR Evo Ascents. There are tons of threads on snowshoes. Do a couple of searches on this site and you'll have a enough to read for a whole weekend.

Happy trails!

-Shayne

spaddock said:
I'm referring to my MSR Evo Ascents. There are tons of threads on snowshoes. Do a couple of searches on this site and you'll have a enough to read for a whole weekend.

Happy trails!

-Shayne
Thanks Shayne! I thought they were the Ascents (judging from other feedback in other threads), just wanted to make sure so I could tally another point towards them as I'm already leaning towards those. :)
Doug

Double Bow said:
Perhaps you ought to post a poll asking about people's favorite snowshoe manufacturer. Me, personally? I like the Tubbs Altitude series.

Someone did that here.

Double Bow said:
Perhaps you ought to post a poll asking about people's favorite snowshoe manufacturer. Me, personally? I like the Tubbs Altitude series.
I,ve seen and tried many different types of snow shoes. Myself and my friends all agree. The MSR denali ascents and Evos are by far the better choice.

I got my LL Bean catalog yesterday and they sell snowshoes. I know some of the higher priced stores like EMS would say that they're poor quality but was wondering if anybody's had any experience with some of their stuff.

mommabear said:
I know some of the higher priced stores like EMS would say that they're poor quality but was wondering if anybody's had any experience with some of their stuff.
I don't think Bean's has been accused of making low quality gear. Their stuff is usually recognized as sturdy and well made, though not always with the most cutting edge widgets.

Their snowshoes are made by someone else, I forget who, and are a good purchase.

-dave-