Snowy Flume

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewHampshire

Reaction score
Goffstown NH, Avatar:Sending out praise for the Re
We have only had a few photos up for critique lately, so I figure I will throw one up for some fun:

2282101671_f9e8e58cfc.jpg

I know the disturbed snow in the foreground detracts a bit, but it was unavoidable.

So C&C me folks!

Brian

I kinda like it...it gives the foreground a little emphasis. The lighting is nice, too. I'm all for disturbed snow. :D

This is a nice image which includes some foreground elements giving the image depth. You also have an interesting cloud pattern in the sky. One side benefit of Kevin's adjustments is that it cleared up the atmospherics. That reduced the haze and/or blowing snow, making the mountain in the distance clearer.

As you have the composition, the mountain is somewhat stacked on top of the ledge, and further the central cloud is stacked on top of the mountain. It might be a more interesting composition if these could be staggered some. Perhaps if you moved forward into the disturbed snow and a bit to the right, you might be able to use the rock ledge as a left frame to the mountain rather than a bottom frame. In doing so you could crop the disturbed snow out of the image frame, just including the undisturbed snow on the right side of the ledge. Perhaps some of the small trees in your right foreground could be used a right frame. The challenge would be to retain the clear view of the distant mountain slides. That may or may not be achievable.

Another alternative if you wanted to explain the existence of the disturbed snow would be to send one or more hikers down onto the ledge. Now you have a clear reason for the disturbed snow. They could be posed from the side to show a bit of their faces and looking toward the mountain (not at the camera). They would also be a left frame which could effectively unstack the mountain off of the ledge.

Thanks for the comments everyone. As usual constructive critiscism breeds good learning lessons.

I think its time to get a Polarizer for the new lens. My old lens was a 52, this one a 72, so I could not use my old one and have not gotten round to getting a new one. I figure the polarizer might have helped reduce some of the haze.

Brian

Brian, nice image! I like the depth. I also like what Kevin has done with it.

I like a well-defined snowshoe track if foreground snow is disturbed. It tells a story as it takes the eye through the scene.

happy trails :)