Some "Virtual" Essentials for enjoyable and safe hiking.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
The SAR thread as related to the ten essentials made me realize that one seldom sees discussion of a different type of "essential".

If the classic 10 essentials are hardware then what about a little "software" to go along with it?

1-Fore-knowledge of the intended route.
2-Familiarity with the regional geography
3-early departure time
4-a route that is within one's physical limitations.
5-consideration of sunset time.
6-keeping track of one's position on a map throughout the hike.
7-keeping track of one's rate of progress.
8-have a Plan B if 7 is too slow.
9-read the weather forecast
10-keep an eye on the weather during the hike.

(Feel free to improve on these 10 essentials, not unlike a wiki.)

If the classic 10 essentials are hardware then what about a little "software" to go along with it?
In some circles, this is known as "wetware"... :)

Joking aside, you are pointing at some very important but oft neglected (particularly by officials) issues.

BTW, I think you meant "Virtual" in the title.

Doug

Last edited:
The SAR thread as related to the ten essentials made me realize that one seldom sees discussion of a different type of "essential".

1-Fore-knowledge of the intended route.
2-Familiarity with the regional geography
3-early departure time
4-a route that is within one's physical limitations.
6-keeping track of one's position on a map throughout the hike.
7-keeping track of one's rate of progress.
8-have a Plan B if 7 is too slow.
9-read the weather forecast
10-keep an eye on the weather during the hike.

(Feel free to improve on these 10 essentials, not unlike a wiki.)

While early departure times are helpful to maximize daylight, I think having the ability to navigate at night is more important. Leaving early is just a hedge against other shortcomings.

I think you can summarize those 10 with one sentence: "Know yourself, know your environment, and know yourself in your environment"

I can't tell you how many times I've had to bail out the ill-prepared. I've given away socks, head lamps, extra layers, water bottles... you name it. What's funny is that I typically pack more than I need, and I've only ever needed extra gear to give to those who didn't prepare better - I don't think I've ever used my "spare" anything.

3-early departure time
let's change that to
3 - departure time appropriate to the goal of the hike
5 - knowledge of times of sunset or predicted bad weather, or external commitments of group members

Obviously if you want a moonlight hike you might want a late start, and there are reasons other than sunset to terminate a hike at a certain hour - I can't believe how many times partway through a hike somebody announces they need to be home early which can lead to dangerous rushing or hasty decisions

let's change that to
3 - departure time appropriate to the goal of the hike
5 - knowledge of times of sunset or predicted bad weather, or external commitments of group members
I really like #3.
Times of predicted bad weather is pretty good too although a tad less reliable than sunset time. :)

For external commitments that could be worded along the lines of: ensure all group members are aware of and agree upon the planned finishing time.

I really like #3.
Times of predicted bad weather is pretty good too although a tad less reliable than sunset time. :)

For external commitments that could be worded along the lines of: ensure all group members are aware of and agree upon the planned finishing time.

I'd agree to the amended #3. For many people, the goal will be to beat sunset. For my hike tonight, the goal is to let the heat dissipate first!