somethin' fishy about this story

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
I read in our small, local newspaper (Conway Daily Sun) that a family of 16 were stranded out at Rocky Branch Shelter #1. The article said that a swollen feeder stream between the shelter and the trail blocked them from the trail. However, the feeder stream is in fact on the other side of the shelter.

Anyone know anything about this rescue?

I also take it from the article that Jericho Road is open.

I think SAR_EMT40 heard it too. Here's what he posted as "Lots of Water" in Trips & Events on Monday:

Sunday the Whites saw way too much water. 2 inches fell with 3 inches expected by the close of day. Flooding was everywhere. I heard FS reports of several trails being totally washed out by their description. Sorry I couldn't hear the specific trails. I didn't catch the names but I am sure at some point AMC/USFS will probably be listing them. I also know that brooks and streams were so swollen that several people were rescued in the Bartlett area. No injuries that I heard. Water at Rocky Branch and the Pemi in Lincoln (and lots of others) was the highest I can remember in a long time.

I assume that this was on Sunday. I already reported that there was very heavy flooding of streams in the Bartlett area and that at least one rescue occured. I have video of Rocky branch running at levels I haven't seen in a very long time and I don't doubt that there was deep water where there is not normally water at all. I saw spots where I have never seen water running before.

And by the way. The feeder I am thinking of would have blocked them from going south to get out to Jerhico road.

See "Lots of Water" under the "trips and events".

Keith

forestnome said:
I read in our small, local newspaper (Conway Daily Sun) that a family of 16 were stranded out at Rocky Branch Shelter #1. The article said that a swollen feeder stream between the shelter and the trail blocked them from the trail. However, the feeder stream is in fact on the other side of the shelter.

I also take it from the article that Jericho Road is open.

Hiked into the shelter from Jericho Rd a few years ago. There is a feeder stream crossing the trail which, if high, could block the RB trail.

There was also a bit of a stream through the tent site, but I do not remember if it could block access to the trail from the shelter.

There are houses along southern Jericho Rd. It is most likely plowed as far as the houses. Doesn't mean road access all the way to the summer trailhead.

Doug

DougPaul said:
Hiked into the shelter from Jericho Rd a few years ago. There is a feeder stream crossing the trail which, if high, could block the RB trail.

There was also a bit of a stream through the tent site, but I do not remember if it could block access to the trail from the shelter.

There are houses along southern Jericho Rd. It is most likely plowed as far as the houses. Doesn't mean road access all the way to the summer trailhead.

Doug

I know the feeder stream you mention, but the article states that the stream was between the shelter and the trail. One explanation is poor journalism, an everyday occurance in every newspaper. However, I suspect that they were actually camped out illegally on the land between the feeder and the river. If so, they would be partially responsible for rescue costs.

Concerning Jericho Road, the article mentions a few campers hiking the three miles out to the trailhead to get help. That's why I suspect the road must be open.

We hiked the trail next to Jericho road (the one used to CC ski on in the winter) on Thursday (4/21) and the road was still gated on that day. It was a fantastic day with lot of sun on thursday and friday. Things started to break down on Saturday with rain and got really bad on Sunday.

Warning: off topic rant coming up. Blame forestnome for getting me started :D
rant on:
As far as the poor journalism, I have been at events (several) that have been reported on and couldn't even believe that we had been at the same event when I read about it. Part of the problem is that reporters have a degree in journalism, which qualifies them to "write well". Doesn't mean they actually know anything, even the most basic concepts about what they are writing. They then do their interview, not with a witness. Wintnesses are usually busy at the scene or not allowed to talk because of HIPPA laws or department policies. So instead, they talk to someone, who once accidentally brushed up against an emergency worker who has worked an emergency scene, apparently any scene will do, and they report that and call it NEWS. Granted this is (somewhat) an exaggeration but its not far from the mark in many cases that I have seen.

email me off line and I'll tell you what I really think. I have been nice so far ;)
rant off:

Sorry, I do feel better though.

Keith

Keith,

That wasn't too nasty ;)

Actually, I'm now leaning toward the lazy journalism angle. I drove down Jericho Road today and it is still gated. The article states that they hiked three miles out to the parking lot for help, where they met an off-duty fireman, who radioed for help. Perhaps the fireman had unlocked the gate and driven to the summer parking lot, which is three miles from the shelter.

I am sure that there is no feeder stream between the trail and the shelter, but I no longer think the family camped by the river. I think it is just typically poor, lazy journalism and a misquote of a ranger.

forestnome said:
I am sure that there is no feeder stream between the trail and the shelter, but I no longer think the family camped by the river. I think it is just typically poor, lazy journalism and a misquote of a ranger.

When I was at the shelter ~5yrs ago, we tented on one of the platforms between (and slightly downstream of) the shelter and and the river. There had been some recent rain and we had minor difficulty (had to take our shoes off) crossing the feeder stream south of the shelter. There was also a small stream very close to the platforms--we used it for water in the evening, but it had dried up by the next morning. And the feeder was crossable with our boots on when we hiked out in the afternoon.

My conclusion from this is that both the feeder south of the shelter and the small stream near the platforms appear to respond quickly to the rain and that the south feeder and possibly the small stream could block passage during high water flow. Unfortunately, my memory of the exact location of the small stream is fuzzy, so I'm not sure what it would block if it were high. (I don't think it would block passage between the shelter and RB Tr.)

My guess is that the feeder stream south of the shelter was the cause of the difficulty.

Now lets get to the important part: was anyone declared to be a hero?

Doug

I was right!

I ran into a Bartlett rescue member today. The family was camped out on the island beyond the shelter, just as I suspected. They set up camp out there on Friday. The rain on Saturday and Sunday slowly but surely filled the feeder that seperated them from the shelter. When they decided to leave it was too late.

I wonder if they will be charged anything for their rescue. The shelter is safely on high ground, and there would have been no problems if they camped there, or on the platforms.

I'm no angel ;) But if I were to break the rules and then need to be rescued, I'd expect a bill.

A family of sixteen on an island? I know that island; that's tight quarters! :eek:

I'm not familiar with this area, what's wrong with camping on this island? Is it in the middle of a lake or a river? Is it private property or above treeline, too close to the trail?

paul ron said:
I'm not familiar with this area, what's wrong with camping on this island? Is it in the middle of a lake or a river? Is it private property or above treeline, too close to the trail?

It's spitting-distance to the Rocky Branch River, impossible to be 200 ft away.