South/Middle Carter Hiking Direction

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RegalJoey

Reaction score
A friend and I plan on hiking South and Middle Carter tomorrow. Most of the trail reports I have read start at 19 mile and end going down Imp. Is there any reason to NOT go the other way, up Imp and down 19 Mile? Is it any more strenuous/dicey going that way?

We are only taking one car and my hiking partner wants to stash a bike at 19 mile and then ride downhill to the car parked at Imp.

Lastly, any opinions on taking the northern vs southern Imp route?

Thanks.

Love the bike spot idea. Would have done it myself if I hiked 'em alone. I hiked the two clockwise (Imp->19 MB) mainly because I knew 19 MB well and figured I'd rather do that one in the dark if I needed to- we hiked it in November. Either way is fine.

I just came down N. Carter Tr. and the southern branch of Imp Tr. to AMC Camp Dodge yesterday, only one blowdown and no other real issues. I've heard the southern branch is a little more mellow than the north but can't speak from experience on that one. I found the southern Imp Tr. a moderate, consistent downhill with decent footing.

Carter-Moriah Tr. from N. Carter Tr. junction to South Carter is clear with typical White Mountain mudpits dispersed along the route. Beautiful views around Middle Carter and Mt. Lethe, enjoy.

I just came down N. Carter Tr. and the southern branch of Imp Tr. to AMC Camp Dodge yesterday ...
Probably used the logging road that goes from the lower part of the S. Imp Trail to Camp Dodge, quite close to the 19-Mile Brook trailhead. This allows the loop to be easily done with one car, no bicycle needed, see Imp shortcut trail. Zoom in on the area between the 19 mile Brook trailhead (southernmost waypoint) and Camp Dodge (the mass of adjacent waypoints).

Probably used the logging road that goes from the lower part of the S. Imp Trail to Camp Dodge, quite close to the 19-Mile Brook trailhead. This allows the loop to be easily done with one car, no bicycle needed, see Imp shortcut trail. Zoom in on the area between the 19 mile Brook trailhead (southernmost waypoint) and Camp Dodge (the mass of adjacent waypoints).

Exactly.

Park at the 19-Mile Brook Trail lot, and walk north on NH 16. It will take all of ten minutes to get to the road to Camp Dodge. From there, it's easy to find the logging road that intersects with the southern branch of the Imp Trail and then on up to the North Carter Trail to the ridge.

I don't recall this route being too challenging nor strenuous -- just some fun, fine, White Mountain hiking.

It looks like you have a nice weather forecast for tomorrow -- have a great time!

The bike idea from 19MB is a great option - almost all gradual downhill. A Razor Scooter works great, too (what I did). It's about a five minute ride to the southern Imp trailhead from 19MB.

Marty

I've done that loop in winter and the walk on 16 to 19 Mile seemed to take only a few minutes.

Probably used the logging road that goes from the lower part of the S. Imp Trail to Camp Dodge...

You got it.

If coming from Rt. 16, go in the driveway to Camp Dodge (there is a large sign as of yesterday,) left uphill when it splits, you'll pass the caretaker quarters then a small field, both on your left. The route to Imp Tr. starts to the left of a small building at the treeline, to the right of the parking. This is all within a couple hundred yards distance from Rt. 16.

Coming from the trail, the old road is very green with tall grasses with a slightly beaten path down the middle. It is hard to miss if you're looking for it.

If you want, you could park at the Great Gulf Trailhead, which is right across the street from the Camp Dodge entrance. Then either walk up the road to 19 mile, or start on Imp right off the bat from Camp Dodge. Not sure if there's anything to gain by doing it that way, just sayin' its an option. :)

Last edited:
If you want, you could park at the Great Gulf Trailhead, which is right across the street from the Camp Dodge entrance. Then either walk up the road to 19 mile, or start on Imp right off the bat from Camp Dodge. Not sure if there's anything to gain by doing it that way, just sayin' its an option. :)
Likely to be easier parking at Great Gulf than at 19 Mile Brook (access to Carter Notch Hut) on a busy weekend. I have often thought of it, but never done it yet.

As others have said....

Park @ 19 mile, use Camp Dodge cutoff and descend back to the car. I've done the Carters both ways and this is my favorite route. I especially like it because you can refill your water @ the hut before descending.

Last edited:
The advantage to the northern leg of the Imp Trail, however, is the open ledge viewpoint with unlimited views of the Presidentials.
img_3687.jpg

The advantage to the northern leg of the Imp Trail, however, is the open ledge viewpoint with unlimited views of the Presidentials.
img_3687.jpg

Agreed. The south leg is a little shorter but it is suckingly boring. The north leg is way better, and not just the Imp Face viewpoint. The whole trail is better. The extra less than half a mile road walk (or bike I guess) is worth it. In fact the last time I was there in the summer, we went up North Imp first and came out 19 Mile Brook. The parking area is much smaller at Imp, but much less used.

It may be safer, too. That is, your car may be less likely to be broken into there.

Back in September 2000, I parked at the Imp Trail head, climbed up to the ridge, hit Middle Carter, South Carter, Hight, and Carter Dome, descended Nineteen-Mile Brook Trail, then walked back up the highway to my car. I was unaware then of that shortcut others have mentioned, but the road walk wasn’t bad except for being the buggiest part of the entire hike.

I don’t remember how long it took me — I may have it written down at home — but I would guess about 10-11 hours. There was no problem with darkness, and I didn’t get started at an especially early hour, either.

If you’re skipping Hight and Carter Dome, that would make it an even shorter hike, of course.

If you should do the trip counter-clockwise, I think there was one relatively steep downhill to a stream crossing somewhere along the Imp Trail, so that might make for a stiff climb at the end of the day.

I recently id the Loop South to North & came out on the Camp Dodge Short Cut. I've done this three times all the same way. Didn't even think this time of going up Imp:eek:

The South Imp is boring & I'd rather end on 19 Mile which at least has the brook & the footing is better. It's not bad on Imp but ithas enough rocks so you have to pay attention more to where your feet are going.

If set on bikes & you have not seen the view from the Imp Face. park at 19 mile, ride bikes down to North Imp & then do the trip North to South.

(Going South to North has less elevation gain but it's not that much different - as opposed to say the difference between Pinkham Notch & 19 Mile when doing Wildcats & using a bike)

Thanks for all help. We ended up stashing the bike at 19 mile. The Dodge cutoff sounded like a good idea but we didn't want to risk walking somewhere unfamiliar.

We took the Northern Imp trail. Weather was perfect and the views were much better than expected. Couldn't have asked for a better day. Trip took 6:40.