Spencer (Peak_bgr) publishes ADK100 Guidebook

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
I'm proud to to pass along word that our own Spencer Morrissey, the other Peak_bgr, just published his first book.
Its titled "The Other 54, a Hiker's Guide to the lower 54 peaks of the Adirondack 100 Highest".

This is the first of its kind and should be a nice addition to any hiker's bookshelf. A must for those who are interested in Adirondack bushwhacking.

Should be in stores by the end of next week in the Adirondacks and shortly thereafter, everywhere.

Way to go, Spencer !!!

Last edited:
Awesome! Congrats, I can't wait to read it (and hopefully someday hike them). :)

Thanks everyone for good wishes and support. I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I did writing it. Just got word that the printing is done. Just waiting to get the books. Should have them by the end of next week.
(link to commercial site deleted by moderator).
Thanks to Alan (peakbagr) as well for doing an edit on the book and writing a most excellent forward.

I owe alot of appreciation and thanks to those crazy enough to join me on most to all of these hikes-especially Brian (bushwacker).

Hope to see you all in August-if not sooner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, very cool, will have to check it out soon, if not at the BBQ..

Maybe I should write a catskills one? :p

Jay

Since you are already an active member of this site, could you describe the book a little bit? Maybe tell us what it is about, why you decided to write it, and why many of us will be interested in buying it? (I know we're not supposed to promote any commercial ventures or charities on here, but it should be okay for the author to describe his creative process, right?)

Are there already established herdpaths on the routes you describe in this book? Do you expect this book to increase the traffic on these routes?

Congrats on officially becoming an author! I think I'll probably do the ADK100 some day, and your book sounds like it will certainly help!

Since I began the thread here, pls permit me to reply prior to Spencer answering for himself.

I put the announcement out there as Spencer is a very active contributor to the site, on the Boards and Trail Conditions. Thru hikes and the annual Gatherings he and Maddy have hosted, he's a friend of many.
You raised an interesting point about commercial ventures - have to confess I never gave it a thought because I saw it as a public service announcement for hikers and bushwhackers.
For the Adirondacks, there is nothing like the book out there. Its a guide to the trailled and untrailled 54 ADK100 peaks.
I wanted to reply to the 'why' I put the announcement there as I'm not sure when Spencer will see this and reply to your other questions.

Thanks,
PB

nice job!

Congrats Spencer! The cover looks great and it will fulfill my giude book fetish for a bit...

Brian H.

Wow. A very impressive accomplishment considering the research that must have been necessary to get all the details to the point of being worthy of publication. Probably compares to the task Bill Myles took on when he wrote his book on Harriman Trails.

I'll probably be looking to get one if only to learn more about these peaks.

Congrats!

Yes, this is exciting news. Congratulations on publishing...I can't wait to have a look! :)

Peakbagr said:
You raised an interesting point about commercial ventures - have to confess I never gave it a thought because I saw it as a public service announcement for hikers and bushwhackers.
Surely many books have been touted on the NH part of this site including the White Mtn Guide (money-maker for the AMC) and those by Steve Smith. And there are lots of links to equipment makers' sites.

I personally wouldn't have deleted the commercial link.

Commercial venture? No way Spencer is even going to get his gas money out of this venture. I'd put the book into the "labor of love" category.

Last edited: