Spiders Above Treeline

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not a spider-man (ha, ha). But it looks like a wolf spider. I think they go after bugs. But I've heard they could have a pretty bad sting for some humans (kind of like a bee sting).

My interest in entomology is generally negligible... until I'm in the High Peaks. I always seem to encounter something bizarre and fascinating, and when I get home I can never find find anything quite like it in any number of Field Guides to North American Creepycrawlies that I consult. Anyone have a recommendation on the volume that best IDs insects and spiders native to the Adirondacks?

Happy trails --
Uncle Butch

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the replies. Black Wolf Spider it is! Now I just have to find myself a copy of the AMC Field Guide to Alpine Summits. Maybe I'll get some pictures of the spiders next time I'm out.

-Dr. Wu

MEB, I wonder if the large (3"+) spider you saw on your dock was a wolf or a fishing spider (one of several Dolomedes species). They are commonly found on docks in our neck of the woods.

I concur (redundantly) with the alpine spider being a wolf.

el-bagr I think you are right.....picture number 2 looks like one I was reffering to.

-MEB

Sparky said:
I'm not a spider-man (ha, ha). But it looks like a wolf spider. I think they go after bugs. But I've heard they could have a pretty bad sting for some humans (kind of like a bee sting).

There is a Mediterranean wolf spider that hangs out in the vineyards. Traditionally women did the grape harvest and would get bit by these guys. They would have head aches, become irrascible etc. The cure was dancing hence the Italian folk dance the Tarentula.

(Some worthless knowledge that I finally got to use to justify my tuition payments. :eek: )

el-bagr said:
MEB, I wonder if the large (3"+) spider you saw on your dock was a wolf or a fishing spider (one of several Dolomedes species). They are commonly found on docks in our neck of the woods.

I found myself standing just inches from one of these puppies many years ago at our dock in upstate NY. It was pointed out by my mother, who tried to say my name, but it wasn't coming out -"Da Da Da David" (she doesn't like spiders at all). If it had not scared the crap out of me I would have shown more mercy. That spider has grown much larger in my memory. Years later I watched as a pair gingerly engaged in some mating rituals, but the guy, who was much smaller, begged off before offering completing his end of the bargain (which, as I understand it, is a manual effort in any event). I guess he did not want to become her snack.

Puck said:
Traditionally women did the grape harvest and would get bit by these guys. They would have head aches, become irrascible etc.
OMG! My apartment must be filled with these spiders! They must be biting my girlfriend constantly! :p

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
On top of Little Haystack over the weekend I had about six of those little (approx 3/4") spiders on me within minutes of reaching the top. From the pictures and due to the fact that they were jumping around when I tried to swat them, I'd say the ones I ran into were of the jumping variety. They didn't have the red on their butts though....

Quack, the one I posted is just one of many in the genius Phiddipus, so there are many different shapes and varieties.

however, since they rely on jumping rather than webs, they tend to be fairly small, downright tiny.

The experts say you are never more than 3 feet from any spider.

FYI, I have had a couple of tarantulas in my bedroom, currently I have a Chilean Rosehair that I got when it was very very very tiny. I've had various Mexican species too and an arboreal T at one point. They are great hiker pets cause they can go weeks without food so you don't have to worry about feeding them when you're off tromping in Alaska or so.. :) And it might scare other VFTTrs from stealing your gear.

Jay

Jay H said:
FYI, I have had a couple of tarantulas in my bedroom, currently I have a Chilean Rosehair that I got when it was very very very tiny. I've had various Mexican species too and an arboreal T at one point. They are great hiker pets cause they can go weeks without food so you don't have to worry about feeding them when you're off tromping in Alaska or so.. :) And it might scare other VFTTrs from stealing your gear.

Jay

Maybe this is the solution to the car break in problem? Leave a few Chilean Rosehairs on your dashboard while you're off in the woods?

Quack said:
Maybe this is the solution to the car break in problem? Leave a few Chilean Rosehairs on your dashboard while you're off in the woods?

Hahahaha! Great mental picture!

bitten

Once I stopped to take a break just above Liberty springs tent platforms. There was at least 2 ft of snowpack, but it was a very warm spring day. I looked down at the snow and there where hundreds of little black spiders running around, yes I was also coverd in them :eek: I ended up with at least 5 bites and they developed into hard red marks, they hurt even when my shirt rubbed against them.
P.S> dougpaul, I saw a bee's nest on Eisenhower 5 years ago, they seem to love that summitt cairn.

The biggest and neatest spiders I've ever seen were on the Kalalau trail in the island of Kauai, don't remember what type but it had like the perfect web. and was very colorful, perhaps an a member of the orb weavers.

BTW, new world tarantulas have a pretty benign bite, as potent as a bee sting. They are generally bigger in mass than most true spiders, hence their bite doesn't need to be that potent. Of course, one could be allergic to them and that is a problem but a bite from a tarantula is more painful due to the mechanics of having a larger fang. But like most woodland creatures, they would much rather run than attack. I've picked up my T many times without ever getting bit. Old world Ts (those from say India or other places in SE Asia) are generally more aggressive and have more potent venon.

Jay