Spring near Cabot Cabin

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akafuzzjones

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has checked out the spring located between the Cabot Cabin and the summit of Cabot? Planning an overnight trip of the Kilkenny and know the water sources in the Notches are there, but haven't seen anyone mention if this spring is actually useable. My hike to check the conditions was cancelled because of the weather. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Michael Blair

The spring is a hole in the ground maybe 1' x 1' x 1', you need to fill by dipping rather than like a faucet

There also used to be a rain barrel that could provide wash water if nothing else

Since a picture is worth a thousand words...

The spring spur is a sharp drop down from the trail. Just keep on going until you get to it. I haven't been to it since storm Irene so I don't know how the spring fared from the storm.
P1070020.JPG

The "spring" is still there. There is plenty of blowdown and overgrowth, but just push through it (about .2 miles downhill) and watch for it on your left on the way down. The opening is very shallow so we had to scoop our water out with our Nalgene bottles which ended up picking up allot of silt from the bottom of the rock pit, but we just pumped it out with our Katahdin into another empty bottle.

If I remember correctly its fairly long spur with more elevation loss than some folks would like. This spur was abandoned for quite a few years and not signed and it was only after the FS decided not to remove then cabin that it was signed again. In October it can really slow down to a trickle. One Columbus day weekend it took us a couple of hours to fill up a groups worth of water by filling a cup over a period of 10 minutes and then transferring to a bottle.

While you are up there it would be interesting if you see any signs of the upcoming radio tower near the summit and the helipad near the fire tower.

There was no sign marking the spur a few weeks ago but there is a small cairn. Follow the ax blazes down hill for 1/4 mi.

This is one of the things that will make whoever I drag down it think red lining is stupid. I should probably leave them at the cabin. :)