stablicers with trail runners?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
works for me

I don't have any problems with the stabilizers when I run.
They stay attached and provide great traction on mushy snow or icey slush as well as winter ice.
The flex is not an issue unless you run on your toes or run really hard.

Hope this encourages you!
If you ever want to do trailruns midweek in the adks, I enjoy company!

Inge :)

Or, you can try this.

I put some in an older pair of shoes and they work great. My friend put them in a newer pair of shoes, took them out and they didn't seem to damage the rubber (may break up a littl faster in the long run, but think they'll be done before then anyway).

Works well to a certain degree. I used this combo to climb Ocseola about 3 weeks ago and I flew right by people in clunky mtneering boots. The only problem is the fact that the straps will rub against your ankle if not secured properly. I just devised a way to have my shoe laces hold the straps down and it gave me no problems all day.

When I was training on the Barr trail on Pikes Peak (CO) many runners wore stabalizers over thier running shoes and they ran.

I'm semi-pleased with stabilicers on trail runners. The toe or heel occasionally pop off. I've found the frequency of this to decrease if you run on a packed trail.

I tried ice screws in two pairs of boots this winter. I liked them very much. They did well in my dog walking boots which saw only easy duty this winter. They did not fare as well in my hiking boots. The screws kept pulling out. The drawback with ice screws is that you have to rig something in order to strap snowshoes on, or wear them on a floor other than cement.

ice screws

I've been very tempted by ice screws.

It seems that screws would perform better than stablicers since the studs are directly attached to the shoes (ie closer to the feet). The obvious disadvantage is that I'd need to bring two pairs of trail runners if I want to walk without the screws.

Obviously this system isn't for climbing Huntingon ravine. And I know that it works well for walking on lake ice. The question is how well it would work for something like patchy flows on Falling Waters trail or the area below the ledges on Chocorua. Or for that matter, the icy flow on the first real climb on Monadnock's Pumpelly trail?

I've done something similar to the area you refer to on Pumpelly. Yes, the ice screws held nicely. They also better in mud and on rock than Yaxtrax. Unlike real crampons, I don't cringe stepping onto rocks.

Google "Kold Kutter" and you should come up with several hits for vendors. That's how I found 'em.