Still Some Nice Autumn Color in the Baldface Region of Evans Notch (28-Oct-2010)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
Some lingering autumn color and a warm sunny day with a hint of crispness in the air . . . now that is my idea of hiker heaven!:)
It was that magical combination that Steve & I experienced when doing a leisurely duet of hikes in Evans Notch.

When we arrived at the trailhead, there was still some morning mist lingering about (as seen in the photo below).

P1070803.JPG

HIKE #1
Our first hike of the day involved a loop hike over Pine Hill and Lord Hill via the Conant Trail in a counterclockwise manner. As has been reported by others, there is a portion of the south segment of the Conant Trail that is flooded, presumably due to beaver activity. The flooding extended for quite a distance on either side of the trail corridor. Rather than go wading, we opted instead to bushwhack a wide arc around this area.

I became so caught up in finding a workaround that I totally forgot to take a snapshot of the flooded section of trail. However, Steve did take a photo which is shown below.

FloodedTrail.JPG

The remainder of the loop was smooth sailing (no pun intended:)). There were large sections of trail where the lighting and the autumn foliage combined to emerge us in a bronze-colored world!

P1070809.JPG

When we arrived at the ledges on Pine Hill, we were treated to a display of color that was completely different from the bronze-world we had experienced en route. There was an awesome combination of a misty undercast, plus bright autumn colors, and a brilliant blue sky. Some samples of this colorful view are shown below in the snapshots below (one is looking directly toward the Baldfaces , and the other is looking at peaks south of the Baldfaces).

P1070818.JPG

P1070814.JPG

After lingering for awhile to enjoy the views from the Pine Hill ledges, we continued onward toward Lord Hill. Along the way, we made a short side trip to take a look at the mineral mine. Nope! We didn't take time to do any mining!

P1070833.JPG

Once we got to Lord Hill, the display of autumn color continued to make itself known. In the foreground and off to our left, Adams Mountain and Styles Mountain still had some nice color. On the horizon and to the right of our viewing area was the massive cliff face on Red Rock Mountain (I've never been there, but it's high on the list!).

P1070827.JPG

Directly beneath our perch on the Lord Hill ledges, there was Horseshoe Pond. Its cobalt-blue color was a sharp contrast to the surrounding orange-red forest.

P1070843.JPG

HIKE #2
After completing the Conant Trail loop, there was still a bit of time left over to do another short hike. We opted to trek up the White Cairn Trail to the first viewpoints on Blueberry Mountain. As anyone knows who has hiked this trail, there is a very steep section on the final approach to the ledges. Well, if it's been awhile since you've been on this trail, then you're in for a pleasant surprise. A crew has recently completed the construction of a long stone staircase for that section of trail. It's a truly remarkable piece of work.

The photo below was taken from the top of this rock staircase looking downward toward the woods far below. However, this snapshot doesn't even come close to doing it justice. It's one of those things that you need to experience to appreciate.

P1070853.JPG

By the time we arrived at the first viewpoints on Blueberry Mountain, the clouds had thickened and the sun was low in the sky. The snapshot below is the best I could do given the lighting conditions.

P1070854.JPG

Autumn is by far my favorite season of year. As soon as it ends, I'm already looking forward to the next autumn.

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
Nice photos, John. It's rewarding going to these slightly off beat places. (Pine and Lord being more offbeat than Blueberry, of course :))

I got a chance to knock these two short hikes off this past summer while at Kezar Lake, as well as a "interesting" trip up to Red Rocks cliff.

Cool views from Pine and Lord Hills, which were unexpected. We collected a couple mica bits from the mine. Blueberry Mtn. was beautiful, I descended the White Cairn after going up Stone House Tr. which had some great swimming holes. I met the trail adopter on that trip, he informed me he was waiting for the USFS crew to finish the stairs. They were incomplete, but still impressive when I was there.

When you go up to Red Rock cliff, I suspect the Miles Notch trail up from Bethel is better maintained (more accessible.) Also, after paying close attention for the unmarked and faint side-trail to the cliff, make sure to travel a bit west of the cliff for views north to Caribou Mtn from open ledges. Looked like there could be some bushwhacking opportunities east of the cliff towards Miles Knob to some other ledges.

It was "interesting" for us because the temp was in the 90s and my lil bro and I found the Miles Notch Tr from Stoneham grown in with many blowdowns. Not many problems route finding though. Also, I found the Red Rock trail west of the cliff around Butters Mtn grown in and quite hard to follow in a couple places, extra care was required. No issues on Great Brook Tr that I remember. The cliff itself has an overhanging, sheer drop rivaling that of Bondcliff, it's an amazing viewpoint. I, of course, found the tougher trail conditions a little fun. My brother who doesn't hike/bushwhack as much? Not as much. :D

Last edited:
WoW!!! very nice photos, John :)
Thanks Yvon . . . it's great to know that you enjoyed the snapshots!
I got a chance to knock these two short hikes off this past summer . . . Cool views from Pine and Lord Hills, which were unexpected.
Agree! This was my first visit to Pine and Lord Hills, and the views were indeed unexpectedly awesome!
When you go up to Red Rock cliff, I suspect the Miles Notch trail up from Bethel is better maintained (more accessible.) Also, after paying close attention for the unmarked and faint side-trail to the cliff, make sure to travel a bit west of the cliff for views north to Caribou Mtn from open ledges. Looked like there could be some bushwhacking opportunities east of the cliff towards Miles Knob to some other ledges . . . my lil bro and I found the Miles Notch Tr from Stoneham grown in with many blowdowns. Not many problems route finding though. Also, I found the Red Rock trail west of the cliff around Butters Mtn grown in and quite hard to follow in a couple places, extra care was required. No issues on Great Brook Tr that I remember.
Todd . . . mega thanks for taking time to post some great tips about hiking to Red Rock . . . much appreciated! Also, I accessed the link to the photos from your Red Rock trek. Great photos from a great spot! You've definitely roused my interest even more to visit that place. I'm thinking now that it might not be until sometime in 2011, but regardless, I'm absolutely planning to go there!

Autumn is by far my favorite season of year. As soon as it ends, I'm already looking forward to the next autumn.

I agree with that sentiment. Always enjoy your photos and reports.

Wow, new area for me! I've never seen that end of the mountains before, and it looks extremely picturesque. Thanks for sharing these.

It has been an interesting fall foliage season, don't you think? It started out somewhat early, so I figured it would be a quick ending. After the major peak of the maples, there has been a secondary peak with the oaks and beeches. Now that isn't overly unusual, but the brightness of these trees, plus the length of time they have stayed bright in my opinion, has been longer than normal. I should start keeping track of this stuff in a journal, so I don't have to go just by memory. :)