Strapping Snowshoes on your Ruck

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksearl

Reaction score
This is kind of a stupid question, but does anyone have a "best" way to strap snowshoes on your pack? I've lugged them once before, but simply used my Tubbs carrying pack, and strapped it to the rear of my hiking pack. This added a lot more weight out behind me, making it tougher on my back. I'd like to find a way to get one of each snowshoe on each side of my pack. This will obviously bring the weight in closer to me and make hauling them easier.

I plan on trying to find a good way to do this tonight, as I'm heading up North this weekend, but figured I would throw it out there to see if anyone has found a great, easy way to do this, that I may not think of. If it helps, I have a set of Tubbs Ventures and my pack is a Kelty Redwing (larger version).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Karl

I think it depends on the sort of pack you have and what pockets and straps it comes with. My winter day pack has a shovel (or shove-it) panel on the back. This is a durable, large flap that is attached at the lower end and can open downward. I tuck my 'shoes in behind it and clip the panel at the top and go. It does put the weight out behind me but I adapt to it pretty quickly. If my pack isn't very full then the top of the snowshoes gets in the way of the opening of the pack but it's the best solution I've found so far.
-vegematic

Its very pack specific. You may want to stop by Ragged Mountain in Bartlett and check out the pack hardware rack in the basement. They also sell multiple types and widths of nylon straps and webbing. They also sell a hand sewing device and heavy duty thread so you can make modifications to the pack as needed. I have added some permanent tabs on one of my packs so I can clip my crampon bag on when needed, I expect you could do the same with your pack for snowshoes.

A lot of folks use the mini bungee cords that Walmart sells. I carry some in my car when I do group hikes just in case. You do need to be carefull with bungees on packs with no suspension as if you stretch them to tight it can make the pack fit poorly.

Some winter day packs are designed with attachment points for skis or a snowboard, and it isn't too hard to used these with snowshoes.

As others have mentioned, it is very specific to your pack, so fiddle around and fine something that works for you- keeps your snowshoes snug and secure and out of the way, and you don't have to worry about them falling off.

Having some extra straps can also help.

I have a winter pack with a back pocket like the one vegematic mentioned, but sometimes when I switch to my spring/summer pack, I'll start taking my old MSR Denali Evo Ascents (vs. my newer Tubbs Flex Alps), because they're only 22" long, and I'll attach them with bungee cords to the top of the pack. This may sound a little awkward but it works with that pack (Rei Venturi 30).

If you need to strap them to the side of your pack, just see what you can do with bungee cords. Make sure the snowshoes are strapped on tight, because you don't want them flopping around while you walk.

Yes, it is pack and snowshoe specific, as other have said. Carry bag is a waste of weight and size, as you pointed out. Best fit for mine on my pack is with the front (toe end) up, soles (claws) pointed toward pack. (I've never had the claw damage the pack.)

Most important thing, which I don't think I see in the thread yet, is to make sure at least one strap goes THROUGH a closed loop on the snowshoe (the frame, or whatever). Without that, you can lose one or both snowshoes, no matter how tightly they seem to be attached when you start.

Most important thing, which I don't think I see in the thread yet, is to make sure at least one strap goes THROUGH a closed loop on the snowshoe (the frame, or whatever). Without that, you can lose one or both snowshoes, no matter how tightly they seem to be attached when you start.

^^^This iz korrekt!!

I've found good success using a couple bungie cords to lash down the Tubbs, using an "X" formation. My current packs are from CiloGear, which gives me a lot of lash points, but the bungie-X worked well on my Marmot and EMS packs, as well.

Thanks everyone, for the feedback. Looks like I'm heading to Walmart to get some bungie cords. Would have never though of them!

I'll take a picture of my "end pack product" for the TR.

Thanks,
Karl

Hear, hear!

It is very snowshoe-specific, I like to carry the snowshoes crosswise at the top of the pack to keep the weight high and near my back. Depending on the pack, they either go on top of or under the top flap. However with 36" snowshoes you can brush a lot of snow off trees that way if bushwhacking or hiking on trails, but it's fine say for carrying them in Zealand Road to put them on where the trail starts.

With mini-snowshoes that I carry when I don't expect to wear them, they will fit inside a high-volume pack where they don't snag on things.

Added - I see a lot of bungee cords on the side of the road where they have come off various loads, I would take the extra few seconds to use a buckle or knot.

Last edited:
Added - I see a lot of bungee cords on the side of the road where they have come off various loads, I would take the extra few seconds to use a buckle or knot.

Just a note that I stay away from bungee cords....I had a friend have one pop and he lost an eye.....straps are lighter and safer! :eek:

I know it was a freak accident but it can happen to anyone........

They sell straps of all lengths.......
I find that most packs have straps built in that will work for snowshoes either on side, bottom or back...and no cases, just added weight with them.
Just my 2 cents! :rolleyes::cool::confused::p

Thanks everyone,

This is what I came up with last night. I crossed them (or made an X) and used four side straps already on the pack. And then I used a bungie as a safety over them both. However, after reading Darl58's comments, I am going to abandon the bungie. Tonight, I'm going to see if can strap them both together first and then put them on the pack. Right now, to get in and out of the pack, with the snowshoes on it will be tough and time consuming :confused:...

I also did this all while the pack was half full. I have to remember that I will be putting my water, food, coffee, etc. in there too, which will give it extra depth. Again everyone, thanks for the help and feedback. Definitely appreciated!

207898_1723582326912_1158978130_31540082_2244023_n.jpg

216558_1723582446915_1158978130_31540083_7865943_n.jpg

Thanks,
Karl

I see your problem... Your pack is too small! :)

I always carry my snowshoes bottom-to-bottom so the crampons can't chew on anything and just attach them with buckle straps through the snowshoes to the compression straps on my pack.

Doug

Last edited:
I always carry my snowshoes bottom-to-bottom so the crampons can't chew on anything and just attach them with buckle straps through the snowshoes to the compression straps on my pack.

Doug

That's exactly what I do. It is a simple, fast and effective method. The buckle straps are key, as they allow you to cinch the snowshoes tightly against the pack.

Marty

Just repeating advice from above:

-extra straps, with quick-release buckles, are really handy. Bungees of just the right length are OK for some purposes, but straps are smaller, lighter, and multi-purpose - easily adjust the length as needed. Also, bungees can break, usually without warning.

- Where to carry the shoes depends on your pack size and shape. I've used all the following with mixed results:

Balanced (horizontal and sideways) on the top.

Stowed vertical down the back, soles out with the toes curving over the top. (I tie the toes to the carry loop or the interior cover strap of my pack - takes the weight and keeps the shoes from dangling backward.)

Stowed vertical down each side.

The first method works best with extra loops sewn into the top of your pack. With some packs and/or large snowshoes, it can be a headache - a repeated whack to the occiput to be precise - and it can be a problem when negotiating branches and blowdowns.

The ability to release straps quickly is important with the second method, since on most packs you'll have to detach the shoes in order to open the pack. If the pack has a closure strap under the cover (and the cover is wide enough), I pass the closure strap through the toes of the shoes (i.e., the toes go under the cover) - no extra strap needed for the toes, though you still need a strap to cinch the shoes tight and keep them from slipping sideways.

The third method can interfere with your arm movements and/or your ability to stow water bottles in the usual place, and usually requires more straps to keep both shoes secure.

I just shove crampons in the pack (with caps on) - this is a bit of a pain but I don't usually need crampons in a hurry (I do carry Microspikes on a mini 'biner within easy reach).

Last edited:
OK, I've refined my approach a bit. I've put the snowshoes bottom-to-bottom and strapped them together in an X fashion, with quick release clips. I then take the two of them and use the four corner quick release straps on the bag to grab the frames of the shoes. It seems to work much better than what I had yesterday. I will definitely need to unlatch them to get in the pack.

Thanks everyone. I'll take a picture of the pack for my trail report. Heading to the Moats tomorrow!

Karl

This is what I settled on for a strapping method. Due to the temperatures and the amount of snow on South Moat, I didn't end up taking them off the pack...which made getting in the pack tough. But, all in all, it worked out well.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and advise. It's greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Karl

208278_1726198952326_1158978130_31543589_1811990_n.jpg