stream crossings

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bring a pair of old sneakers or sandals, lots of run-off and rain is forecasted. I like to use my old sneakers and once across, stuff them in a plastic bag and put on the boots for the climb up. New snow is going fast, it's been warm these past two days.

For the standard route:

The five crossings on the Cedar Brook Trail and the crossing near the beginning of the Hancock Loop Trail can easily be avoided with a 1/2 mile bushwhack along the north side of the brook. This is a common route during times of high water, as well as in winter.

The south link still had lots of ice on it 3 weeks ago, the rest of the route was barebootable with a few spots to post-hole...those should be gone by now.

I was on Carrigain (next door) on Friday and the whole area is getting pretty lush. The major deciduous trees still have a lot of filling out to do, but there's lots of vegetation on the bloom.

Streams on Carrigain were surprisingly manageable; not low (by any means), but not impassable. The trail itself had evidence of the recent rains, but were surface-dry and plenty firm enough.

There was a ribbon of ice and rotten snow on the trail above Signal Ridge; none was evident anywhere else short of Washington's shoulders (and maybe a bit on Lafayette).

If I remember the Hancocks, it's WAY boggy down low. I'd guess you knew this, but maybe the data on Carrigain is helpful.

--M.