strolling the Rob Brook Trail with owls and Bicknell's thrushes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
After a kick-tail hike on Mt. Jefferson I spent some time low and easy on the Rob Brook Trail and some nearby logging roads stalking wildflowers and wildlife.

This nice cow calmly posed for background for the meadow sweet early in the morning...

015aaa.jpg

I'm trying to develop a style of capturing things in a way that is accentuated by surroundings that tell a story.

Anyway, the RBT was nice and quiet on a misty Sunday. These nice blooms are on a plant that looks like a wild pea. ID help?

269aaa.jpg

Is this a juvenile Downy or Hairy woodpecker?

361aaa.jpg

Common St. John's Wort...

005aaa-1.jpg

I was surprised to see a pair of Bicknell's thrushes at this elevation. They were gathering food for a nearby clutch. I didn't see the nest, but as I do with these endeangered birds, I just try to watch and don't go to the nest. I don't mind experts doing it, but I just chill and watch.

374aaa.jpg

388aaaa.jpg

396aaa.jpg

405aaa.jpg

I hung out with them for about an hour and then they must have settled in because they weren't to be seen.

Continuing along, I saw a huge Barred owl swoop from a perch and fly to another perch at the edge of a small clearing. Recently, an owl had led me to a nice moose jawbone and I wondered what might this one lead me to. The I saw this huge old log laying in a bed of moss and ferns. The log had fallen naturally and it was huge and completely covered in moss. It was beautiful. As I enjoyed it and considered an angle to take a pic I felt a sharp prick on my calf. Looking down, I saw a few bees on my leg. Bad owl! I ran back to the trail and found one bee still on my leg. He was wacked and layed stunned for a moment.

002aaa.jpg

I hiked another mile or so on old roads, then on the way back out I heard the whining of baby owls in the same place where I saw the owl.. It sounded just like the whining of an eaglet I saw on Lake Umbagog. I don't know if owls lead danger away from babies as spruce grouse do, but that may have been the case. I could hear two owlets whining for mama. Then one started flying toward me, a few yards at a time, until it perched right in front of me.

It just looked at me and looked around. Here he is scatching his ear..

598aaa.jpg

Then it started whining again...

606aaa.jpg

closeup...

613aaa.jpg

I was resting and just watching it when it suddenly flew right at me, but it had seen a creature behind me on the ground. It flew right over my head and hit the grass and grovelled around for a moment but came up empty-handed, then flew back up to another perch, and then whined for mama. Soon it will be able to catch it's own dinner.

happy trails

Last edited:
Patrick,

I am consistently in awe of your patience and the resulting amazing photos. Without getting overly technical, how close were you to the owl and thrushes and what focal length were you shooting at-
Hope to run into you again sometime soon.

Marty

Awesome photos forestgnome. Rob Brook is a great place to see wildlife, and a very underrated part of the National Forest.
In agreement 100% with the above statement.
Can only add that if you’re back in that vicinity again sometime, you might want to consider doing a short bushwhack to Birch Hill.
For a small little 1,891 ft mountain, it sure has a BIG view.

Wonderful pictures. I'm not sure of the pea flower - the leaves and stems and relative flower size would help identify it more easily. Maybe everlasting pea (Lathyrus latifolius).

I love that trail too, and Owls Cliff is a great hike from there. When we were there last October we had to do some fancy hummock-stepping to keep our feet semi-dry. Any thought of wading was abandoned when our hiking poles sank right into several feet of mud-silt.

Thanks very much for feedback!

John, Sugar Hill is definately on my mind...maybe this autumn.

Audry, you can hike to Owl Cliff and avoid that long, wet beaver section by staying on the logging road. The trail crosses the road beyond the wet section, so just stay on the road until that junction.

happy trails :)

Great photos, Forest Gnome!
I am wondering if the flower could be a monkey flower which likes to grow in wet places - Mimulus ringens?

I love the owl pics, as well at the Bicknell's Thrush. I felt so wistful, as I have been home too much this summer with hubbie and me both having deer tick diseases! Ughh!:mad:

UH-OH! Are these really Bicknell's thrushes, or could they be hermit thrushes? I've been asked via PM, so I looked at pics of hermit thrush. I thought I knew what they looked like but was mistaken. I cannot tell clearly the visual difference.

I know the sond of each well, but I heard no song. Hmmm...I thought Bicknell's thrushes only nest at higher elevations, so what were they?

Time to investigate.

Audry and Jason, thanks for ID help, agreed about the beaver areas!

bogoris, thanks, I'll check that.

Last edited: