suggestions for April in San Diego

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Berard

Reaction score
N. Thetford, VT Avatar: Cabot, winter 2011
My wife and our 3 kids (ages 6 and 4(twins)), and myself are going to visit my brother in San Diego in mid April and are looking for suggestions for some good outdoor things to do in the somewhat local area. We're going to be there for two weeks and are looking to make a few day side trip so as not to overwhelm him. 14 days with three small kids can be alot when you have none yourself :D .
This would be more along the lines of staying in or near a park and doing some exploring...short trips, NOT backpacking. So far I'm thinking King's Canyon/ Sequoia NP, which is about 5.5 hrs away. I also thought of Joshua Tree NP, but wondered if that would captivate small kids. I'd welcome any suggestions.
Thanks!!

I'm no expert on the area but did spend a few days in San Diego this past October. Very locally (if you just want to get out of your bro's house for a few hours!), I would highly recommend Mission Trails Regional Park and in particular Cowles Peak, a nice 3 mile RT hike. Don't miss the San Diego Zoo! Cabrillo National Monument is nice in a historical/educational kind of way. :)

Joshua Tree National Park would *definitely* be captivating for kids! Really cool rocks and awesome campsites. Closer, though I've not been there, is Anza Borego... probably worth checking out.

Have fun! :D

Anza-Borrego desert state park
Spring wildflowers are amazing. April may be past peak though. Maybe ask your brother. It's not a kiddie thing, but it sure is a good Mommy Daddy thing.

I'd second the Anza-Borrego SP, and add Death Valley. If you take in Death Valley, consider continuing NW to Lone Pine, and then drive north along US395 to take in the Sierras. King's Canyon/ Sequoia NP is also beautiful, but keep in mind you'll have to cross the Sierras - they're more remote than may appear when looking at the map. April might be a bit early, depending upon snowfall, so if they're in your plans keep an eye on that. So far this year snowfall (in the Sierra) has been well below normal, but it's still early.

No need to travel too far, there are incredible places to visit right in San Diego County. Three distinct ecosystems - ocean, mountains and desert.

Torrey Pines State Preserve just north of San Diego has easy but dramatic trails and spectacular ocean vistas.

This book came highly recommeded and added so much to my trip: "Afoot and Afield in San Diego County" by Jerry Schad. It really is as good as they say.

it does look a bit early for kings canyon, depending on weather between now and then.... I'll check out death valley. thanks Kevin.

I'll look at Torrey Pines as well, thanks for the book recommendation Trudy!

this is exactly the range of suggestions I was hoping for! thanks and keep 'em comin'!

Trudy said:
Torrey Pines State Preserve just north of San Diego has easy but dramatic trails and spectacular ocean vistas.

I'll second Torrey Pines. I watched a school of dolphins play in the surf when I was there. Warning, the ranger will get offended if you say the cliffs are made of dirt, its sandstone ! :D

I also took a drive to Laguna Mt, which had allot of trails that I did not venture on because I was alone and the signs warned of Mt. Lion country.

San Diego is a great city to visit, see the beaches that go on for miles, the zoo, take a harbor cruise(you can get fairly close to the Navy ships when I was there, but this was before 2001). I also really enjoyed the Star of India, an old sailing vessel converted to museum, which had allot of model ships to gawk at. I really like that sort of thing. I would save the back country hiking for when you are in that part of the world and can dedicate a trip to it. Don't spend 5.5 hours in a car. My 2 cents.

Just here to second others' comments and provide a bit of detail. Been to Mission Trails regional park- close but a bit crowded, lots and lots and lots of fitness walkers, otherwise quite nice; Torrey Pines- worth a very short pilgrimage each time I visit, and near Laguna Peak- which may have wildflowers by then, and was recently burned a couple years ago but by now should have recovered and be spectacular. You will hear of mountain lions but in a group I doubt it will be much of an issue, just keep the kids close and go in the middle of the day. Anza-Borrego has an amazing palm canyon which is a shortish hike from the campground, but I think may have been washed away at least partly by a flash flood a year ago, so check before you go. All are within 1.5 hours of SD.

I'd love to see the desert in bloom, and in my two trips to the southwest, i've been too late in the season :mad: . I think that will be one of my goals for this trip will be to check out whatever flowers and migrating birds we can. I know we'll miss the majority of the blooming, but I hear the cacti bloom later, and we may see them. great ideas guys, thanks! any more?

I'll make sure to post a report when we come back with the kids input! :D
hope fully WE'LL see some dolphins :D :D

"wild" animals

14 days visiting with 3 small children? Methinks you will be seeing a few animals. I think all 3 (the Zoo, the Wild Animal Park, and Seaworld) are all wonderful in their own way, but i would not see any of them within a few days of the others, or it becomes overkill. If you're seeing all 3, start with the Wild Animal Park, so the kids aren't already expecting to see a zillion animals at once like they will at the other 2 places.

Oh yeah, hiking. Joshua Tree (maybe the 1000 Palms Trail) is neat, and if the kids are old enough to be awed by "This trail starts here and goes all the way to Canada if you keep walking...", you're only a couple hours at the most away from the beginning Desert section of the PCT at the border.

More suggestions for SD

My nieces live in the San Diego area (they are 7 & 11). Some of their favorite places to go:

- Wild Animal Park - they like this better than the zoo. The park also has "Park After Dark" activities that can be quite fun for the kids.

- Legoland in Carlsbad. Only about 40 minutes north of SD. They had season passes when they were younger. A must for the kids (and kids at heart)! I really enjoyed it.

- Palomar Mountain - There is camping, hiking trails, nature trails and the Palomar Observatory (free admission and self-guided tours). http://www.palomarsummit.com/

- I agree on the Anza-Borrego SP. Peak wildflowers are in March though, but the desert plants are still interesting. If you have a 4WD vehicle, a fun place for the adults!

- And if you get some warmer weather, there is always the beach at the ocean or at Mission Bay.

Laurie

TCD, thanks for the Mt. Woodson suggestion. that sounds like something I could do with my brother one day.

Laurie said:
- Legoland in Carlsbad. Only about 40 minutes north of SD. They had season passes when they were younger. A must for the kids (and kids at heart)! I really enjoyed it.

- Palomar Mountain - There is camping, hiking trails, nature trails and the Palomar Observatory (free admission and self-guided tours). http://www.palomarsummit.com/
Laurie

my son LOVES legos (me too!) this would be great!

Palomar also sounds cool! we could rent some stuff and stay there for a couple days maybe.....

thanks again everyone! I like the Zoo, Sea World, and the Wild Animal Park, but I think these suggestions will lead to a much more balanced trip! :D :D

Last edited: