Suggestions for straightening aluminum pole sections?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griffin

Reaction score
Our screen-house got flattened in high winds awhile back, resulting in some of the aluminum pole sections getting bent. They didn’t break, but the structure now leans quite a bit when we set it up.

Any suggestions for straightening out the poles a bit without busting them, or otherwise making things worse? Most of the sections in question are straight, but two are L-shaped, with the bend in the long side of the L.

Aluminum is tough to cold set, especially undoing one. Aluminum bicycle frames are easily damaged in cases where steel frames can be bent back. My brother-in-law's boat top aluminum frame was damaged and we had to cut it, straighten it, and weld it in the straightened out position.

Tim

I made up a quick jig using scrap wood and a C-Clamp to repair bent poles for the Boy Scout Troop that I work with; it works great. However, it will not work once you have gone to the point of kinking the aluminum. I have straightened many tent poles and I have also straightened an aluminum trailer tongue so I know that it can be done. The trick is careful force and the ability to bend the item a bit further that necessary as it will spring back.
I will be happy to send photos, but I do not have the ability to post photos, Send me a PM with an email address and I will send the photos. I also have no problem if the photos make it to this site through the generosity of others.

Hi Lost Dad - that would be helpful, thank you! I just sent you a pm.

The sections aren't kinked, fortunately. I'd have to unbend them to fit a sleeve over the top, although that might be worth doing if the metal seems weakened by the process. Thanks everyone for the input!

Hi Lost Dad - that would be helpful, thank you! I just sent you a pm.

The sections aren't kinked, fortunately. I'd have to unbend them to fit a sleeve over the top, although that might be worth doing if the metal seems weakened by the process. Thanks everyone for the input!

Hardware store and plumbing supply houses carry a set of sleeves that are spring steel coils of various sizes. Slide the smallest sleeve that will fit, over the bent pole. Find a large tree and use your body weight to bend gently against the tree.
http://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-8...8&qid=1351090429&sr=1-45&keywords=pipe+bender

You can also take the bent sections to a hardware store. They might have a pipe bending unit that can do an even more controlled (un)bending. You may have to rent the unit depending on how well you know the proprietor.
http://www.amazon.com/Woodward-Fab-...8&qid=1351090554&sr=1-22&keywords=pipe+bender

Last edited: