Suggestions to lighten my food weight

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
food

I too struggle with that...always looking for something that is filling and gives me energy but not heavy. For me, I have to constantly change what I eat. I get sick of things pretty quick and like someone else, I would carry around pounds of something that I just couldn't stomach eating again. Granola is one. I used to love it, now, no way.

I used to make sandwiches for my kids each trip. It never failed that at the end of the trip I would be throwing out the sandwich.

Pete told me about the olive oil thing. I can't do shots of olive oil but if it were on something maybe.

Just remember whatever you are taking, try to balance your liking it also because it can be light and loaded with energy for you but if you are going to force it down your throat or worse, carry it for the next few days and throw it out at home, what's the sense.

I have two words....cous cous. If you measure properly all you need to do is add it to boiling water, kill the heat and cover. Wait five minutes. Before the water boils you can add anything: curry, tuna packets, garlic, sun dried tomatoes, bullion etc.

I have also discovered that you can buy clams ina foil pouch. I packed one pound of angel hair because it cooks fast. I sauted garlic in alot of olive oil, added the clams, tossed into the drained pasta,, throw in a few fistfulls of parmasean and cracked black pepper and we were good to go. However some foccaccia and a bottle of pinot grigio would have been nice. Carbs and calories.

Eat well

I have far more overnight backpacking experiences under my belt than the daytrip excursions, so I think differently for each.

3 days is easy planning, 5-10 days is where I seriously reconsider the weight issues and make compromises.
However food is not really my preferred compromise, mainly gear is.
You can always tell an experienced backpacker…they ALWAYS have food! ;)

Seriously, when you weigh it all in, food is such a small percentage of total weight that for me, its not worth compromising too much. I like to eat, and only the stuff I can eat repeatedly. There is nothing worse than loosing your appetite, then your energy, then get miserable. Food should be something to look forward to each long day.

If cost is an issue, then go Top Ramen noodles and all the suggestions mentioned.
But if cost is not and issue, then go for the dehydrated meals.
(BTW, my plug for Backpacker Pantry meals are well worth it as recommended by Backpacker Magazine best meals, try all the new eastern cuisines. My favorite is Cajun Salmon Inferno!) :eek:

As someone mentioned, eat the other basic stuff once each day before you go to see if you still like it.
Raisins, cashews, soy nuts, choc chips, M&Ms, trail bars, dried fruit, ect.
I have been very conservative on the trail bars recently, it seems I am taking the same uneaten ones on trips all over the country!
Favorite lunches are the new tuna pouches available.(again weight problem? Not for me)

My trick on trail mix is this: DONT MIX IT!
If you make a big bag of that stuff, it won’t take long before your sick of it all.
Instead, pack separate ziplocks of each ingredient, then snack on each one.
You can always mix it if you want later by small handfuls in another bag.

Instant oatmeal is the number one most popular breakfast and has stood the test of time for both cost, weight and proven energy. I bring fresh raisins just to top it off. The flavors which include raisins are often too dry.

When I go for the 2-3 nighters I pull out the stops and could care less about weight.
First night out is always the best food night.
Don’t be surprised to see me flipping fresh boneless spicy chicken and vegetables in my mini backpacker wok for a smok’in batch of fajitas! :cool:

Brownie

Last edited: