Owl's Head with the bushwhack - 8/19/2007

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
August 19, 2007: Owl’s Head

Trails: Wilderness Trail, Black Pond Trail, Bushwhack, Lincoln Brook Trail, Owl’s Head Path, Franconia Brook Trail

Distance – Elevation: 18 miles, 2,850 feet

This hike started at Lincoln Woods. I arrived there a little after 6:30am and started to prepare to hike. First, I finished my on-the-road breakfast of coffee and a Clif Bar. The temperature was in the low 40’s and the sky overcast. The cloudy conditions were generally a local condition that I noticed on my drive north. South, east, and west of the Pemigewasset Wilderness the sky was mostly clear and I hoped the clouds over Owl’s Head would break up as the morning went on. Other hikers were in the lot preparing for the day. It looked like a busy day was coming up.

I started off on the Wilderness Trail. As I walked along toward the Black Pond Trail there were occasional breaks in the clouds suggesting improved conditions were on the way. By the time I reached the turn at 2.6 miles there was more sun than clouds. I was getting ready to have a good day. At the Black Pond Trail junction I took a couple pictures and took a left, heading for the pond. This trail is a short .8 miles that leads to the start of the Black Pond Bushwhack, a shortcut to the hike that saves roughly 1 mile – each way. The Black Pond Trail is interesting and in generally great condition. It winds through a couple swamp areas where I expected to see some large wildlife at any minute, but never did. Also, there is a place roughly half-way to the pond where the trail seems to go right, based on the beaten path many hikers went right, but the trail actually goes left. I have head stories of people hiking the Black Pond Trail ending up in a swampy area, very confused, looking for the next blaze. This may have been start of their problem. I initially went right but realized the error, searched for the next blaze, and headed back on trail.

Before reaching Black Pond I came upon a smaller body of water that offered an early view to the south peak of Owl’s Head through a hole in some trees, a real nice photo opportunity. Too bad the sky had clouded over, again.

I skirted around the southwest end of Black Pond and headed off on the bushwhack. Doing a bushwhack in shorts during the winter is silly. It doesn’t make much more sense in the summer. The last time I went through this area I followed the “due north” course and found the hike very pleasant through open woods and very little change in elevation. This time through I shifted west approximately ten to fifteen degrees. That was a mistake. I found myself in much thicker conditions, gaining elevation that I would only have to shed in the approach to the Lincoln Brook Trail, and my legs were bleeding. Oh well – here comes some lemonade. I got through it and found myself on the Lincoln Brook Trail quite a bit further along than planned. It worked out, but my legs were still bleeding.

I had a quick refreshment and headed for the base of the Owl’s Head Path. Along the way two other hikers blew past me. The first had spent portions of his hike from Lincoln Woods actually running. I can’t imagine anybody running to Owl’s Head (I’ve heard stories though). The next came through soon after and he was also moving at a good pace. Both were peakbaggers working on the list. I’d see both again later on Owl’s Head.

I made the final stream crossing and hiked to the base of the Owl’s Head Path. This turn is tough to miss but I took a few pictures of the area for future reference. There are currently two small cairns, a couple blowdown on the Lincoln Brook Trail, and a tree that has had some markings scraped off (the work of a FS Ranger?).

I made the right and started up. The Owl’s Head slide is an interesting place. Very steep and rough with more unstable footing than any other kind. Hiking alone up the slide has advantages. I didn’t need to worry about being hit by falling rocks from someone above or hitting someone below. This slide is not “fat guy” territory and I made several stops on the way up to recharge. While climbing the slide I met four other hikers (a pair and two solos) all heading back down. Eventually I made my way to the top of the slide and into the spruce above. Even though I was off the slide I was definitely hiking steep and rough conditions that often required hands and feet to pass. There were also a number of blowdowns on the path, none difficult to pass. First I managed to get above the extremely steep and rough section and then the slope started to level off through a series of switchbacks. Slowly I made progress to the ridge. Once there all I had left was to head for the high spot. The path leading to the summit area is very obvious. Along the way it is necessary to go through a section of blowdowns (over, around, and under) until the path leads to the right and onto the summit. There, I found a good sized open area and a tree with two blue pieces of plastic nailed to it. Evidently, this is all that remains of the recently removed Owl’s Head summit sign. Of course I got some pictures of this. I assume the Ranger had no way to pull a couple nails.

After another break, some refreshments, and some pictures I was off for Lincoln Woods. A short distance after heading off the ridge I came upon an AMC Group (eight or nine, I think) out for some fresh air. I stopped for a visit and soon was on my way. In the course of heading back down to Lincoln Brook Trail I met three couples, a group of three, and a solo hiker – all headed for the summit. I didn’t expect to see this many list hikers but that’s probably the main reason for hiking Owl’s Head.

Before long I reached Lincoln Brook Trail, which also marked the end of my elevation for the day. From here out is approximately eight miles with a loss of roughly 1,000 feet - generally flat hiking. I snapped a few more photos of the turn for Owl’s Head Path and set off for Lincoln Woods via the normal trails. At the first crossing I noticed my water was gone so I stopped to reload. With that out of the way it was a cruise to crossings of the Lincoln Brook and Franconia Brook and then the Franconia Brook Trail. The crossings were all easy for the hike. I’ve seen enough railroad bed for a while too.

I maintained a good pace to the Wilderness Trail, made the turn to head across the footbridge at Franconia Falls, and took a break. I had a snack, drank some cold water, removed and replaced my boots, and generally adjusted my frame of mind for the Wilderness Trail. I don’t see this as a good way to end a hike but sometimes it’s the only choice. The Wilderness Trail isn’t that bad, I guess. Only three miles and I’m out. I set off for Lincoln Woods.

Eighteen miles and only one summit. Owl’s Head sure is expensive!

I've posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

:D

Last edited:
I'm glad you had a nice trip Earl....because the remnants of blue plastic on that tree was what remains of a blue arrow which pointed north towards the summit which is about 2/10ths of a mile further up the herd path. :D

So!.....When ya goin' back? :p :D

NH_Mtn_Hiker said:

So!.....When ya goin' back? :p :D

Perhaps next month. But, there's no real need to do so right now since the place I visited is recognized by the FTFC committee.

A discussion is found here.

For now I'll continue not to lose sleep over this.

BIGEarl said:
For now I'll continue not to lose sleep over this.

Good fer you! As if another 10 feet on a freakin' wooded plateau matters.

Seems like you saw a ton of people during the hike. How many would you estimate that you saw on the trails to Owl's Head this weekend. I would assume that this would be one of the least crowded trails but every trip report that I read it seems like a conga-line going out there.

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:
Good fer you! As if another 10 feet on a freakin' wooded plateau matters.

Seems like you saw a ton of people during the hike. How many would you estimate that you saw on the trails to Owl's Head this weekend. I would assume that this would be one of the least crowded trails but every trip report that I read it seems like a conga-line going out there.

-Dr. Wu

I agree.

I believe there was a total of 28 hikers heading to or from Owl's Head. Much more traffic than I expected.

I went through relatively early and managed to beat most of the crowd. There were a few (4) that started early, travelled very fast, and I met them on the slide after they started back down.

Nice TR, glad to hear some beta if I find the blue plastic which I'm tempted to guess was near/at the old "false" summit. Which way did the arrow point. I suspect it was to the right since you lose elevtaion going left of the old summit sign.

Right and left change with the way you're facing. :D

The so-called "new" summit is reported to be north by roughly .2 miles, and up by roughly 7 to 20 feet (depends on who you're talking to, I guess).

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks Big Earl, great pics. I am headed up this Friday for 10 days. I have 16 peaks left and Owl's Head is one, you took the guess work out of it for me, thanks.

Looks like you had a great day!! The pics of the Franconia Ridge are awesome. I can't wait to be up there!!!

Happy Trails - Cindy

It was great to meet you just below the summit. I was part of the AMC group that you met (there were 7 of us). You have some nice pictures. We found the tree with the two blue pieces of plastic in it. (Thanks for telling us where it was). Then we continued on a path for another 5-10 minutes until we came across a cairn (which assumed was the true summit). It was a very nice day for a hike. I put some pictures on my web page at:
http://hikermatt.com/Documents/owlshead.html