Summer/thunderstorm Season Is Here

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouseking

Reaction score
I think its pretty safe to say that winter is finally behind us. Despite a few areas of snow that are left in the normal areas, it is time to head right into summer. With that being said, thunderstorm season is also upon us, including today. One of the things I worry about with summer hiking is the possibility of thunderstorms and today thru this weekend is no exception. I'll be hiking Camels Hump in VT tomorrow and will def be keeping a watchful eye to the sky. I encourage others to do so as well. Pulse severe thunderstorms are quite possible thru Sunday, and these types of storms tend to thrive and are at their most intense along ridges since there is the most amount of lift.

Let's all be careful. I know most people are safe about these things, esp if they hike around here, but I remember the Flags on the 48 last September and many got.

Happy trails to all!

grouseking

A nice rumbler just passed through the Rutland region and up into the Green Mountains. The humidity is upon us.

Yes, straggling along an above-treeline ridge (Franc. or Pres.) isn't the best of ideas this weekend. But what about down below? Any record of anyone getting dinged during a lightning storm while hiking down in the lowlands? No guarantees, but just wondering if jungle hikes are generally safe in a crazy T&L storm.

dvbl said:
Yes, straggling along an above-treeline ridge (Franc. or Pres.) isn't the best of ideas this weekend. But what about down below? Any record of anyone getting dinged during a lightning storm while hiking down in the lowlands? No guarantees, but just wondering if jungle hikes are generally safe in a crazy T&L storm.

you can get hit most anywhere. It's generally safer in the trees, but don't stand under a tree that is all by itself. A group of lower trees is the safest spot.

I was descending Polecat during that T-storm during last year's FOT48, which has to be among the least safe places to be.

bonus question: why are you generally* safe from lightning when inside your car?

*obviously not completely safe as a tree could fall on you, but you know what I meant.

grouseking said:
I think its pretty safe to say that winter is finally behind us. Despite a few areas of snow that are left in the normal areas, it is time to head right into summer. With that being said, thunderstorm season is also upon us, including today. One of the things I worry about with summer hiking is the possibility of thunderstorms and today thru this weekend is no exception. I'll be hiking Camels Hump in VT tomorrow and will def be keeping a watchful eye to the sky. I encourage others to do so as well. Pulse severe thunderstorms are quite possible thru Sunday, and these types of storms tend to thrive and are at their most intense along ridges since there is the most amount of lift.

Let's all be careful. I know most people are safe about these things, esp if they hike around here, but I remember the Flags on the 48 last September and many got.

Happy trails to all!

grouseking
OH MY GOODNESS, I don't know how I'd get by if I wasn't getting critical information like this from VFTT.

Anyone know what the ozone and airborne particulate levels are going to be like this weekend?

NH_Mtn_Hiker said:
OH MY GOODNESS, I don't know how I'd get by if I wasn't getting critical information like this from VFTT.

Anyone know what the ozone and airborne particulate levels are going to be like this weekend?

This is a good site for that type of info. Check it out.

There is a really good book out on a lightning strike on top of Half Dome in Yosemite in 1985. It's called Shattered Air by Bob Madgic. Read that and you'll never want to be anywhere near a lighting strike. It tells the tale of what thinking you know everything can do to you. Don't fool with Mother Nature.

Soon to be a major motion picture (I hope).

SteveHiker said:
bonus question: why are you generally* safe from lightning when inside your car?

I forget the techincal name for it, but your safe because electricity rides the surface of metal to the shortest route to the ground. I saw an interesting display at the BostonMuseum of science. A lady in a Giant metal ball had electricity zapping the cage on the outside, but she was able to touch the inside with no problems.

Brian