Sunday storm ... power outages

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Wow ...

This afternoon I was watching the thunderstorm approach on the radar ... then it reached us :(

There was a narrow band, so I expected it to pass us fairly soon. It did, but in the brief period it was over us there were very strong winds, and soon enough the power went out.

I tried to go get some interesting food that would not need cooking, but NH 175 was closed by downed trees and power lines both to our south and north. Power just came back after almost 7 hours. Currently the NHEC outage map shows lots of small scale outages in our area.

Was driving out of Nash Stream and saw the wall of clouds. Got to Lancaster and there were trees down over power lines. Must have just been a very short gust that caused most of it.

I was canoeing the Pemi down to the Rt 49 crossing yesterday. Got the canoe out, flipped it over, and hid in the car 'til the brunt of it passed. Not a minute to spare. Phew!

Approaching the bridge, we were paddling our hearts out TOWARDS the black wall of clouds, pretty unnerving. Strong storm.

Today there was a brief storm over Thornton, did not seem too serious. But my lights flickered (not enough to reset electric clocks). So out of curiosity I checked the NHEC outage map. To my surprise I found extensive outages in both Thornton (about ¼ of NHEC homes) and Waterville Valley (100% :eek:). Very few outages elsewhere (zero in Campton, right between Thornton and Waterville :confused:).

I'd bet those power lines along 49 are the only ones that service Waterville Valley. Any damage and it's probably going to be 100% outage downstream (towards town).

I'd bet those power lines along 49 are the only ones that service Waterville Valley. Any damage and it's probably going to be 100% outage downstream (towards town).
Yes, which is also why it is fixed rather quickly.