Superfeet?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is an interesting thread. Am going to give Superfeet another try - sounds like I didn't give them an adequate test/break-in period, because when I've tried them on a hike or two my feet would ache.

I've also had pretty good luck with replacement footbeds made by Merrill, (occasionally Vasque) and sold at EMS. I haven't bought any in awhile there though, so don't know if they still carry them. You can (could?) get them in various thicknesses, so they could adjust the fit of a given boot. They cost a fraction of the Superfeet, and last a long time before compressing.

Will give the Superfeet another chance.

I use the SOLE Ed Viesturs heat modable fotbeds ones.

I have tried both the Green Superfeet and the Sole Ed Visteurs. Superfeet were OK but I now swear by the Sole's. I have them in every pair of boots that I own and they don't require any break-in period since they are heat moldable and formed to your feet. I believe they're about the same price too.

I have tried both the Green Superfeet and the Sole Ed Visteurs. Superfeet were OK but I now swear by the Sole's. I have them in every pair of boots that I own and they don't require any break-in period since they are heat moldable and formed to your feet. I believe they're about the same price too.
I'll have to jump in on the SOLE love. Tried Superfeet and they were ok, but I really like the support WITH the extra cushioning I get with the SOLEs. If anyone has a chance, put some SOLEs next to some Superfeet and step on each and feel the difference. Actually, grab as many different insoles and just put them side by side and try them out.

Break-in period is very important. When I used my SOLEs for the first time I didn't listen to their instructions to only use them for a few hours on the first day and used them for a whole day including a standing room only concert later that night - I was in real pain all night long and thought they were crap. When I gave them a chance again I went slow and they worked fine.

Last edited:
I was skeptical of Superfeet for a long time. i had tried (and liked) the Sorbothane Ultrasoles and the stiffness of the Superfeet did not make much sense to me. But after hearing enough rave reviews I decided to try the Superfeet and I must say they are great.

My advice would to go somewhere where you can get fitted. I assumed that i would want the green for hiking, but due to the shape of my foot, the blue were more comfortable for me.

Also just for info, the difference between the main Superfeet colors are:

Blue - standard Superfeet
Green - same support and stiffness as Blue, but with a little more cushioning (3/8" for green, 1/4" for blue)
Orange - same support, stiffness, and cushioning as green, but with added forefoot shock pad
Berry - same as Orange, but sized for women

Last edited:
You forgot these:

Yellow - waterproof, sweatproof and breathable for those scared of damp feet
Black - no cushioning, just plastic inserts for hardcore people
Pink - the least stiff, very flexible and fluffy cushioning for those with feathery light footsteps

I honestly think insoles are highly dependent on each individual. On the AT last year, foot issues drove me to almost daily tears for the first half of the trail. I started in a pair of green superfeet and the foot pain was unbearable at times. About 2 weeks and over 100 miles into the hike, I was starting to experiment with other insoles. A few combinations worked better than superfeet but none of them were great. In Damascus I was bullied into buying another pair of Superfeet and the salesman insisted that Superfeet were the solution to everyone's foot problems and that I was just wearing the wrong "size" of them. Well, another few hundred miles of pain and tears later, I switched to Soles (mentioned by others above) and after 1200+ miles of pain, I found a partial solution.

My feet HATE Superfeet and LOVE Soles. I will never again EVER buy Superfeet because even though they may work for most people, they are not meant for everyone. I tell you all this because insoles are such a "personal" foot to foot decision that I think you should be aware that your feet might like them or not.

All that being said, foot support is one of the best things you can do for your feet, just be sure you have tested which insoles are best for your particular feet.

sli74

Another SOLE lover here. Back when I was gainfully employed, I had a great pair of $200 custom orthotics. Well, those don't last forever, so here I am :)

My "old" pair of SOLEs is my everyday use pair. The "new" pair moves between running shoes and hiking boots as needed. I do still keep a cut-down pair of green Superfeet for dress shoes, but they just don't provide as much arch support for me.

Yellow - waterproof, sweatproof and breathable for those scared of damp feet
Sweatproof!? Do they coat the insole with antiperspirant? ;)

I guess the extra breatheability probably comes from the "diamond venting" hole pattern they put in to align with existing holes on hockey skates and cycling shoes.

"Recommended footwear: Hockey and figure skates, road cycling shoes, track spikes and western boots."

Cowboy boots?

Superfeet green resolved my Morton's neuroma

I was getting Morton's neuroma on most hikes, and using Superfeet green has resolved that. I didn't have any problem when I swapped them in place of the manufacturers insole.

Ah footbeds!

They either fit or they don’t.

This is long but hopefully informative.

There are 3 types of footbeds; Custom, Semi-custom (moldable), and Trim-To-Fit (TTF). All 3 types do require some sort of “break-in” period. The footbed itself doesn’t necessarily break-in your foot adapts to the new support.

I’m not a Dr. I do make custom footbeds for skiing, skating, hiking, tennis, running, what ever footwear one wears. I also customize fit ski boots. I don’t sell TTF’s only custom.

I think the issue with TTF footbeds is when one buys the footbed to match the foot length. I believe there are directions in the store as to the proper method of sizing the footbed. I would hope the store has a salesperson trained to fit the product, if they don’t run away fast. It is more important to size the footbed to the arch length. Most peoples arch length doesn’t quite match the foot length. Also most people have two different size feet! I see people with feet that differ by a whole shoe size! It is very easy to buy the wrong size.

If you have been in a shoe store you have seen the foot measuring device. It’s called Brannock. I believe in using these. I own one. I measure feet both weighted and un-weighted. I like to see how ones foot elongates, if at all. This will help me determine what kind of posting material I will use. Posting is the filler material under the footbed. Stiff feet get softer material, supple arches get stiffer material. More importantly with the TTF footbed is using the small slide piece on the big toe side and match it up to bulge behind the big toe. This is measuring your arch length. This is more important than the foot length. The arch length is what you need to buy with a trim to fit.

Next while seated place the footbed under your bare foot. Have someone look to see if there is a gap between the top of the footbed and the sole of your foot. Now stand on the footbed with bare feet and again have someone look to see if there is a gap. If there is a gap while standing save your money don’t buy the product. If there is only a gap while seated it may or may not accommodate your foot. I would doubt it really helps. I prefer to see the foot accommodated while seated. On the other extreme if one has flat feet they still need support. It is important to make sure the footbed doesn’t push up too hard on the arch. While seated with bare feet on the footbeds look to see if the skin is creating creases, or is pushing out. This will cause discomfort too.

I see where the Green superfeet inole (footbed) is flat along the entire length with a fairly steep sidewall under the arch. As has been stated in the thread some hiking boots are designed with a running shoe last (the last is the foot shape for the design). I see running shoes and hiking boots with very pronounced archs. The arch in the shoe or boot will push the superfeet up into the foot possibly creating arch and instep pain. I usually need to create an accommodating area under the arch in the footbed to adapt to the users shoe of choice. I do this by grinding out extra material in the arch area. Nike running shoes have a very defined arch I need to account for this when I grind the footbeds. So in short the green superfeet will only truly fit a shoe with a flat bottom and no arch support.

I could go on about the stiffness of the arch and how the support will make it better or worse. I could also go on as to pronation and supination, rolling in or out with the tibia/ talus/ arch.

If one has “normal” feet; both the same size, average arch height, the store bought Trim-to-fit may do the job. Otherwise look into semi-custom moldable like maybe the Zapz or better yet custom. Remember you get what you pay for.

Jim

my 100th post, yee haw!

Happy Feet

I could also go on as to pronation and supination, rolling in or out with the tibia/ talus/ arch.

Please do!

Great 100th post - very useful info for this crowd, I imagine!

FWIW, I have always been quite happy with the Sole moldable footbeds.

Both my PT and my orthopedist looked at my feet weighted and unweighted on the green Superfeet and approved them for dealing with my pronation problems, which lead to patellar-femoral syndrome.

YMMV, of course,

Tim

Sweatproof!? Do they coat the insole with antiperspirant? ;)
Absolutely! I bought the yellow ones a few years back and have been putting them in my plastic mountaineering boots and only did they solve my blistering, sweaty and smelly foot issues, but the yellow ones solved my GI problems. Amazing!

bhsf

ouch. Did your PT and Doc check the footbed-boot interface? This what I alluded to when I mentioned the Green Superfeet may too flat with no room for the arch in the footbed to adapt to the last of the boot. The manner in which the footbed interfaces in the boot is as important as the fit under the sole.

Tim, If I give away too much information nobody will need me. Actually, is is better to see a professional regarding footbeds rather than try to fit someone over the internet. And as bikehikeskifish found out there are short comings there too.

One needs a solid foundation under ones body to hike many miles. A properly fitted footbed is that solid foundation.