Tabletop in Winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just posting a follow-up.

We made it safely to the junction for tabletop. We chose to leave our snowshoes in the car which was a mistake. We took a left at the first logs you go over, then a left towards an abandoned campground. At the campground there were so many choices of where to go, and we were knee deep in snow. We decided it was best just to turn around since we were wet at this point, and starting to get cold. Snowshoes would have helped this situation, but instead, we grabbed a bite to eat at Indian Falls and took lots of pictures. It was a great hike despite the lack of summit.

-percious

As you turn left off of the main trail, the path that you and I took leads into the old maze of herd paths. If you had veered more to the left as you exited the main trail, you would have been on the marked trail to Tabletop. In May, I took the same path as you, and wandered around that old camp area for quite a while before bushwhacking through and finding the right path.

Not the best picture, but this view is at the summit, as you climb Tabletop in Winter, no trees to obscure the views.

If I'm not mistaken I think there are red disk markers that start you on the trail then fade out about 100 yds. I'm guessing to eliminate other herd paths. The above post are very good. I'm doing Tabletop and others on the 28th.

percious said:
so i take a left at the "marcy <->" sign? I have never been up this trail before... Thanks for all the help guys. *praying for good weather*

-percious

bear left/straight, but don't take the sharp left. There is an entrance to the van hovenberg ski trail immediately past that sign on the left. the herd path is straight ahead.

TablleTop turn

When I did it in summer ~5 years ago, the trail to Marcy to a hard right at the top of the falls. Nice place to stop for a bit. There were 100s of herd paths, but we continued more-or-less straight where the Marcy trail turned Rt, and continued from there w/o much trouble. I do remember a piece of trail that was eroded into a gully 2-3' deep that was overgrown with scrub pine. what a pain in the ass that was. Are you guys saying that there is a sign there now, and before the falls??

Last edited:
rup said:
When I did it in summer ~5 years ago, the trail to Marcy to a hard right at the top of the falls. Nice place to stop for a bit. There were 100s of herd paths, but we continued more-or-less straight where the Marcy trail turned Rt, and continued from there w/o much trouble. I do remember a piece of trail that was eroded into a gully 2-3' deep that was overgrown with scrub pine. what a pain in the ass that was. Are you guys saying that there is a sign there now, and before the falls??

Yup. there's a new, definitive herd path. they've done their best to close off the old ones. no more jumping mud puddles just to get to the path. i miss the 'dacks.

MMB

Tabletop in winter

Hi Percious,

We hiked Tabletop this morning, it was not realy easy to catch the usual path, many snowshoes tracks around the starting point path!!!
If You will go in few days just stay less of 300 feet in the sky trail in down direction and You will see the snowshoes tracks.
A new trees blowdown near the starting point, if You go in the old camping site You need to go in the right direction, today the usual path was very easy to hike because Correll and CHUMPS hiked tabletop a couple day before.
Unfortunately We do not need Tabletop a other time this winter.

Have a good hike.

Pinpin Junior ;)

Pin Pin--When will you be heading in for Cliff from livingston pond? Many vftter's are waiting for the report! I think many folks here are waiting to hear when the trails are broken out.

Cliff from Flowed Lands

Hi Hillman 1,

If We will be able to catch Cliff summit in december 30...We will stay with the plan to go by Flowed Lands beween January 22 to 28, but for this week We need too many peeks We will need to make a choice!!!!!!!!!!!!
But who do know the futur???

Than You :)
Pinpin Junior. ;)

On December 24, Mrs. ADK4487 and myself we went up Phelps and Tabletop. For Tabletop, turn left from the VH trail when you see the Mt. Marcy sign. This is also the top of the ski/snowshoe trail. You will see a pounded herd path entering the woods. About 10 yards past the ski/snowshoe trail sign look for a white disk on a tree (left side of herd path). At this point, bear left. You will see a cleared route where trees have been cut. The herd path I saw was bearing right which takes you to the old campsite and a multitude of wandering herd paths. Do not go that direction. We broke out the trail that bears left and within no time, you are on the main herd path to the summit.

Last edited: