The Big Giardia Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pete_Hickey said:
IIRC, a reasonable percentage of people (10%?) fit into this in norht america.

Of that number, IIRC, the number of people infected but not symptomatic is thought to be around 80%. I can't find the reference that I read that in but that is what I remember.

Keith

Last edited:
Pete_Hickey said:
. . . some people are 'carriers' Their system contains giardia, but it is not effecting them. . .

That's why I filter my water: Some other people haven't/don't.

(Think about it.)

G.

Pete_Hickey said:
The reason a rolling boil is recomended, is that a cooking pot may not have the same temperature throughout. The rolling boil, ensures that it is hot throughout.

Also, some people are 'carriers' Their system contains giardia, but it is not effecting them. IIRC, a reasonable percentage of people (10%?) fit into this in norht america. In other areas, the percentage may be much higher. I have a feeling I fit into that catagory. In fact, in my case, with the kind of foods I eat, any giardia I ingest will be way worse than I will be.

Jessbee: sarcasm? Me?????

Also, water boils at a lower temperature the higher in elevation you are.

I personally will check a water supply first before drinking out of it. I prefer not to boil or treat whenever possible. Giardia though very uncomfortable, will not kill you. And I'll always be way out of the mountains before the symptoms even start to occur.

Clown said:
Also, water boils at a lower temperature the higher in elevation you are.

I thought of that and checked before I posted, you'd have to be from 17,000 to 21,000 feet elevation (as per my elevation vs boiling point chart) for the boiling point to be low enough to worry about, anything under that and you're good. Even at 5,000 feet the boiling point is 202°F, which is well in the safe zone. But, add the winter temps into the mix and it changes things.

I hadn't thought about the rolling boil thing Pete mentioned, and at first it seemed implausible, but then I remembered back to Festiglace' in Quebec last Febriuary when it was -20°F without the wind, which was present. The sides of the pot of chipped beef were frozen while the center was boiling. I had to keep stirring it into the middle or it'd keep freezing. :eek:

Clown said:
And I'll always be way out of the mountains before the symptoms even start to occur.
Unless you go hiking the week after as well :)

Also: With respect to, "What doesn'T kill you wil make you stronger." You can build up your resistance at home.

Drink water from your toilet bowl. Start with a teaspoon daily, and gradually work your way up to a full glass. Hey! my cats do it.

Pete_Hickey said:
Unless you go hiking the week after as well :)

Also: With respect to, "What doesn'T kill you wil make you stronger." You can build up your resistance at home.

Drink water from your toilet bowl. Start with a teaspoon daily, and gradually work your way up to a full glass. Hey! my cats do it.

Is that prior to flushing? What about public toilets?

I saw a package of Giardia spores for sale at a joke shop. Maybe you could start off taking 0.01 milligram the first day, 0.02 the second and so on.

I have two dug wells for a water supply at my house, maybe import some muskrats or beavers? I could build them a little "fish ladder" so they could come and go on their own. :)

I wonder if you could build your immune system to handle giardia and crypto...an interesting thought...

It would seem a good idea for those who are always on the trail.

Just bringing a pot of water to a rolling boil is generally sufficient below 6500 ft.

Source: Wilkerson, "Medicine for Mountaineering". (Which, BTW, has a good section on water treatment in the field.)

Also for altitude effects, there tend to be fewer environmental pathogens at higher altitudes. For instance, Himalayan climbers report that the challange is getting above base camp free from disease. The rock and ice above tend to be fairly sterile. (Of course, the climbers still bring, deposit, and share their own pathogens.)

Doug

Last edited:
Lawn Sale said:
I wonder if you could build your immune system to handle giardia and crypto...an interesting thought...

It would seem a good idea for those who are always on the trail.

travel in third world countries and eat at all the mercados,that at the very least will expose you to it!!!! :D :D
it serves a double purpose,you get to see part of the world and do a study on giardia at the same time!!! ;) :D ;) :D :eek:
p.s. if you want a less expensive way to become immune to giardia, touch all the door handle leadin' to and from public toilets,then lick your hand!! ;)

post'r boy said:
p.s. if you want a less expensive way to become immune to giardia, touch all the door handle leadin' to and from public toilets,then lick your hand!! ;)
If you do that, giardia may be the least of your problems...

Hand shaking is also a good way to spread pathogens.

I've read that people in southern Asia do not shake hands (although they will frequently respond if you hold your hand out). Hold your hands together in a praying position and say "Namaste" (at least in some areas). A bit safer.

And in the Middle East, the convention is the right hand is for input and the left hand is for output...

Plenty of other ways to pick up pathogens in those parts of the world.

Doug

DougPaul said:
post'r boy said:
if you want a less expensive way to become immune to giardia, touch all the door handle leadin' to and from public toilets,then lick your hand!! ;)

I've read that people in southern Asia do not shake hands (although they will frequently respond if you hold your hand out). Hold your hands together in a praying position and say "Namaste" (at least in some areas). A bit safer.

And in the Middle East, the convention is the right hand is for input and the left hand is for output...

Or you could avoid the etiquette issues entirely by removing the hand as the tool to transfer giardia and instead lick the door knob directly. :eek:

Dugan said:
Or you could avoid the etiquette issues entirely by removing the hand as the tool to transfer giardia and instead lick the door knob directly.
Please do not do this. Maintenence workers at public bathrooms are frequently drunk. THis means, that when they tighten the screws that hold on the door know, they sometimes miss the slot, creating small sharp metal pieces which can cut the tongue.

PLEASE: For your own safety, touch the door knob, then lick your hand.

With all this talk of immunity and how to build it up, I wonder if there is any way to measure one's level of immunity to giardia? If you knew that, you'd know whether you have to bother to filter your water or not (assuming you're not concerned about other pathogens).

Nate said:
With all this talk of immunity and how to build it up, I wonder if there is any way to measure one's level of immunity to giardia? If you knew that, you'd know whether you have to bother to filter your water or not (assuming you're not concerned about other pathogens).

That would require an ELIZA or western blot assay. I am sure there are kits available that have an antigen coat from the giardia. I would think that most of us have heterophylic antibodies to these buggers.

NOW you tell us. I've got projectile diarrhea.

As I drove up the Kancamagus last Saturday I saw some kyakers in the Swift River, and they were downstream from Lower Falls :eek: :eek: :eek:

I drink from springs for atmosphere when I find them off-trail :)