The Bonds from Lincoln Woods (it's hard to leave 'em) Aug 23

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray

Reaction score
I arose at 4am, cooked a hearty breakfast of steak and eggs and set off for NH at about 4:30. The slight bout of tendonitis I had suffered earlier in my left knee was well on the mend (as confirmed in several previous hikes and my doctor's evaluation) and I felt that things would be fine with small periods of rest and without pushing too hard. Also I knew that much of the hike would be on fairly level ground and I would be willing to turn back at any time if things became troublesome. To be sure I packed for safety- space blanket, water filter and purification, warm clothing, lighting and extra food. And off I went.

It promised to be a beautiful hiking day with clear skies and cool temps Indeeed it turned out to be that and more. I made good progress on the Wilderness Trail. The trek to the juncture of the Wilderness and Bondcliff trails was certainly the easiest five miles of hiking I have yet done in the Whites. The Bondcliff Trail is pleasant, woodsy and moderately easy for the first couple of miles. All of the stream crossings, where running, were a snap. Other than a few blowdowns and some muddy sections I cruised right along. There are steeper sections in the last 2.4 miles but they never seemed terribly lengthy or tiresome. Also the broad switchbacks in the trail certainly mitigate the overall steepness. It is a long trail though and at times I would remind myself that, at day's end, this was going to be a lengthy trek back to my truck. However I was well into the spirit of the hike at this point and readily pressed on, stopping occasionally to chat with the half dozen or so hikers who were returning to Lincoln Woods having spent the night at Guyot.

The trail becomes steeper and more ledgy as you approach the Bondcliff summit. There's one particularly difficult scramble just before the top but then you're there and the skies seem to literally open up. Bondcliff is everything I had been told and more especially on a day as pristine as this one. I was alone. The views were infinite and awesome!

The big news was the wind that day. The winds were really gusting, possibly to 65mph at times. They were most intense in the col between Bondcliff and Mt. Bond particularly where it dips the lowest and you're wide open without the protection offered by West Bond. At times there were
quick frightening slams against my body which seemed hostile and contradictory given the clarity and serenity of this place. Pressing on I found relief the gradual ascent of Mt. Bond where the winds lessened due to the protective shielding from both itself and its brother to the west.

Ascending Mt. Bond is fairly arduous. There's plenty of talus and large boulders to negotiate and more than a few scrambles. It was here that I experienced occasional tenderness in my knee. Thankfully it would disappear with a moment's rest and resumption at a slightly slower pace. I finally arrived at the bald, scrubby summit where the views, though not as spectacular as those of Bondcliff, are none the less generous

The Bondcliff trail descends rather steeply from the Mt. Bond summit It's about a half mile to the spur path leading to West Bond. I found that the half mile climb to the West Bond summit on the spur path was a breeze compared to the previous two Bonds. The views from the rocky cone shaped summit are awesome. I found a wind sheltered spot and sat in the warm sun for about twenty minutes just drinking them in. I also exchanged a few pleasant words with the Guyot caretaker who was enjoying a few moments of welcome peace and solitude for herself.

The advantage of starting this hike from Lincoln Woods is that you get to experience Bondcliff for a second time. Certainly the winds were as intense as ever while traversing the narrow exposed ridge, perhaps more so. This time however I had company of a nice couple from Vermont.

I must have lingered for another twenty minutes on Bondcliff. It certainly is a very difficult place to leave. The journey back was a long one indeed and it was already dark when I arrived back at my truck, a weary yet grateful hiker This had been the longest hike of my life and it had given me a new awareness of my capabilities. The last time I had experienced this so intensely was when Marty and I had done the seventeen mile hike to Mt. Carrigain last winter. There was a combination of exhaustion and joy. And I had finally done the Bonds, the piece de resistance, and had added #39, 40 and 41 to the list.

Ray

Last edited:
Great trip report sir, very descriptive and thoughtful musings on my favorite place in the Whites. Look forward to sharing the trails with you again soon!

U da man, Ray! Fantastic job!! How is the knee feeling?? Hope you shocked it fully back to health doing that beast of a hike.

I can only imagine how great it is up there with all the views and a heavy wind almost knocking you over. Hopefully you chose not to walk to the very end of the famous Bondcliff ledge under those conditions.

Congrats to you!

Marty

After just doing this traverse 2 weeks ago from Zealand to Linc Woods, this trip report brought back awesome fresh memories, but from a different perspective. Good stuff! Sounds like you had much more wind up there than I had as there was barely any wind the day I was out there. Nice TR! Love the Bonds!

Love hearing reports from the Bonds, as they are a favorite of mine. Thanks for posting, brings back fond memories. :)

Must HAVE SEEN YOU

Say Ray,
Great trip report..must have seen you.
We were the three old guys on the Bond Cliff TRAIL stumbling down from Guyot. You were on to # 41 at days end RIGHT? ANYHOW you looked like a guy with a mission...hope you finish soon!