The Dix Range 7/6/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkyfreddy

Reaction score
Gail and I went into camp near the Slide Brook lean-to Sat. night, apparently just missing Jay H and 7 Summits..... arriving and signing in just after they left :( We hiked in and set up camp, supplying a variety of insects fresh blood to feast upon :eek: Luckily I was able to get a small campfire going quickly, which warded most of the buggers away, thank God! :rolleyes:

The next day we set out to climb the Dixes...... what can I say? Beautiful views...... a picture is worth a 1,000 words, eh? So please take a look at our slide show, hope you enjoy!

http://good-times.webshots.com/slideshow/564050491TBRvOD

I have now climbed 42 of the 46 ADK HP and have only Allen, Gray, Basin and Saddleback left, planning on finishing my 1st round on Basin and Saddleback late August or early September, hope to see a bunch of you there when I finish! Thanks, Fred

Nice one Freddy and Gail!! That's a pretty impressive hike to do all 5 dixes from Slide Brook Lean-to area. I bet you felt it the next day!

Nice Pics too.
I'll try and be there for your finish.

funkyfreddy said:
I have now climbed 42 of the 46 ADK HP and have only Allen, Gray, Basin and Saddleback left, planning on finishing my 1st round on Basin and Saddleback late August or early September, hope to see a bunch of you there when I finish! Thanks, Fred

Bravo Fred, and good your 42/46, Annie and me are at 45/46 now and we will finish this saturday on Dix, if the weather is good.

Last edited:
Great slide show. My friend and I are planning to hike the Dix range within the next two weeks. Your slides have given us more to look foward to.

Good job friends!

Wish I could have been there with you & the bugs!!! Looks like the Dixes had some pretty awsome hikers: you, Gail (my buddie), Jay H & 7Summit. Love the Dixes for their wide variety of everything & it's more technical flavor.

Looking forward to hike with u twos soon. I wouldn't miss Basin & Saddleback. Allen, I can do without in the heat of the summer.

BUMMER!! Hey Freddy and Gail, really too bad that we missed each other. We ran into at least 2 groups of people hiking in while we're hiking out. Wasn't that just the BEST weekend to be in the mountain.

When do plan to hike Allen? Do you mind if I tag along? I need all you've left except Gray.

7summits said:
BUMMER!! Hey Freddy and Gail, really too bad that we missed each other. We ran into at least 2 groups of people hiking in while we're hiking out. Wasn't that just the BEST weekend to be in the mountain.

When do plan to hike Allen? Do you mind if I tag along? I need all you've left except Gray.

Hi, Sorry again we missed you! I've been meaning to call you lately and we'd love to have you along! Gail and I won't do Allen until after Bearly Live '08 and will probably be hiking in the whites the week before BL '08, so we're probably looking at late August with an early Sept finish on Basin/Saddleback. I'll keep you posted as to our plans and hope to see you soon!

Last edited:
Nice slideshow, Freddy. Looks like you and Gail were blessed with awesome weather and beautiful views.

What's the deal with the pose with the yellow dot??? :eek:

alpinista said:
Nice slideshow, Freddy. Looks like you and Gail were blessed with awesome weather and beautiful views.

What's the deal with the pose with the yellow dot??? :eek:

The Yellow dot is the summit marker on East Dix, canisters being removed from the ADK's some years ago because they didn't look natural in a wilderness setting..... I think those yellow dot summit markers look so much more natural and blend in just wonderfully, don't you? :confused: :p :rolleyes: :D

funkyfreddy said:
The Yellow dot is the summit marker on East Dix, canisters being removed from the ADK's some years ago because they didn't look natural in a wilderness setting..... I think those yellow dot summit markers look so much more natural and blend in just wonderfully, don't you? :confused: :p :rolleyes: :D

Gotta love it! I'm sure those Yellow Dots date back centuries! ;)

funkyfreddy said:
Hi, Sorry again we missed you! I've been meaning to call you lately and we'd love to have you along! Gail and I won't do Allen until after Bearly Live '08 and will probably be hiking in the whites the week before BL '08, so we're probably looking at late August with an early Sept finish on Basin/Saddleback. I'll keep you posted as to our plans and hope to see you soon!

So will Mimi and I, but i suspect you may already know that... We should try to meet up, if only for dinner or something if you are around. We'll be at Waterest on Sunday, the 20th and then again thursday night after our backpack... You have my cell!

I saw Gail's tent but I'm only familiar with yours so I would have no idea who it was, and nobody was outside.

Jay