The Evolution of GEAR

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mad Townie said:
Damn, didn't see that "30 years" part. Why do people have to choose such short time periods, anyway?
:confused:

It's OK Mad Townie we moved the time Period back another ten years to 40 years a few posts ago. Say Pete I have a pile of Dayglo Cycling clothes want to make any offers?

I've got 2 pieces of gear that are 30 years old that I still use all the time;
down booties and a light Northface bivy/bag cover from the EMS in Lake Placid. I was teasing Jay H last week that I have gear older than him, almost.
I've got 2 other pieces that are older that I use occassionally; an Optimus 8R I bought at the old EMS in Ardsley and a rectangular down bag my parents bought for me at Caldor.
Other than plastics and Goretex, I think the things that have made outings much better for me have been my water filter, the food (primarily MRE's) and the fleece.

I think the funny thing I’ve found, at least for myself anyway, is the more the technology advances the more they go back to some of the more low tech products.
I probably own and use more things made of wool than I did 5 – 10 years ago. I’ve found wool to be far superior to synthetic fleece in many applications. For example my wool gloves are warmer and breath better than my fleece gloves. I find myself almost never using the fleece ones now.
Also with the current efforts to carry lighter loads, a lot of people are producing their own gear, out of things found around the house. This I think is slowly changing as a lot of manufacturers are making similar lowtech products.

cool thread(no pun intended). i remember in 1982, bringing several pairs of cotton underwear, t shirts, and socks on hikes. i would get soaked to treeline, then change into a new tshirt, and wear that next. At camp i would change into dry clothes if needed, often there would be a fire drying things out. otherwise, id change into new undies, socks, t shirt if there was no fire. you almost never see a campfire anymore. back then there was ALWAYS a campfire at night, with several groups huddled around it. i remember polpypro and fleece came out, and i could afford wool socks after college. these were revolutionary. you got to wear the same outfit all 3 days of a backpack, winter too, because they wicked moisture and dried so fast. and think of how GOOD you smelled in the same clothes for 3 days! gore tex came also and it seems your underclothes stayed much drier, and you would not be so soaked from sweat. not having to take ones soaking t shirt off just below treeline on franconia ridge in freezing weather didnt break my heart. plastic boots came out also, very warm and waterproof. in winter, the days of 3 season boots with 2 pairs of wool socks and bread bags in them were over. i remember my friends and i, in the middle of a hike, stopping to take our boots and socks off and warm our toes in our hands for 10 minutes, until we put the socks and break bags and boots back on. havent done stuff like that in ages. this thread makes it funny to remember. windproof fleece hats and gloves were nice. gore tex mitten liners took away all those hikes of having soaking wet mittens from the snow all day grabbing trees on the uphill. sherpa snowshoes came out, no longer wood, with that amazing claw. i cant imagine going up steep trails like the hancocks with wooden snowshoes with no cleats attached. i remember an older guy saying 'kick your snowshoes sideways with each step! you have to dig in!' you would be like a mouse in a treadmill going up trails in your green mountain bear paws that everyone had. you used to keep your canteen on your shoulder with the strap, it would be bouncing when you walked, and freeze in the winter. i remember banging the canteen against trees to de-ice it so you could unscrew it for a drink.. then the nalgene bottles came out, then the OR bottle insulators. everyone started attaching them to their waistpack. you used to keep another bottle wrapped in a sock in your pack in the winter, to keep it from freezing. then stuff sacks for sleeping bags. remember ROLLING UP your sleeping bag, tying thick twine around it, then tying it to your pack? that was delightful using your fingers that much in the morning when it was 15 below zero. no more of that! im probably forgetting some stuff..but the advances have made it much more comfortable and easier. lately my favorite, most indepensable piece of gear has been my new flask. EVERYONE i hike with seems to love it..amazing piece of gear.

Belts and Cordura

I could live with wool & 60-40, but I do remember the revelation that a padded hip belt was. Before that, I had a canvas "Yucca" pack with no belt - although it was pretty rugged. At the time I was a boy scout, so I had the energy to cart it around...

Second choice would be cordura nylon. I recall a few nylon packs that just fell apart from branches & thorns - including "rip-stop" nylon. Pretty much useless for any long term use. Getting a light weight fabric that could take a beating made life a lot less expensive!

And a side note - some things never change. I have an inherited Coleman lantern that I know is pre-1965, and I recently bought parts for it. It looks exactly like the new ones, except for some steel instead of aluminum here & there. Works fine, lasts a long time!

Last edited:
when i think of gear and evolution i think of things that really enable people to push limits.

camming devices for speed placements on hard rock and alpine routes come to mind

improvements in shoes i would think is a big one... edging ability, extremely cold temps, taking care of your feet enables performance.

any contribution that made that piece of gear so much lighter... speed means light... get more done... gear made from down for one.

~J

Dugan said:
......gear ..... + 30 years old - other than yourself!
Hmmppff! Kids.

I don't have anything older than I am..... My old tent fell apart after 30 years... my old canvas backpack did the same..... Old clothing also bell apart... Old sleeping bag, wasn't that good, so I gave it to a homeless dog one time. My Svea? No, I replaced it with another Svea, after my brother borrowed it and lost it. I did buy the feul bottle in '69, and I'm still using that.

I'm pretty sure my wood and rawhide snowshoes are older than I am, and I do still use them from time to time. It's an esthetic thing.

I have a few pieces of gear that are over 30 years old (compass, cook kit, lanterns, my Dad’s wool Navy cap that he got in 1945) that I still use and a lot more that are over 25 years old; sleeping bag, down parka, down vest, 60/40 jacket, suspenders, stuff sacks, Lowe Expedition backpack, TNF VE-24 tent, wool fingerless gloves. Alas, my SMC crampons that I first used in Jan 1977 finally succumbed yesterday up on Mt Willey when one of the ring tabs for the straps broke from metal fatigue. It was sad.

JohnL

Can it be inferred that Pete Hickey is then < 30 years old?! (sorry Pete!)

Don't think I have any gear in the +30 range, but I do have some that's gotta be around 25 years... compass, thermarest pad, a couple of stuff sacks. Some other stuff too, but it doesn't qualify since it doesn't get used for hiking anymore.

hikerfast said:
. lately my favorite, most indepensable piece of gear has been my new flask. EVERYONE i hike with seems to love it..amazing piece of gear.

It's not the flask...it's the contents! :D

I'm still on a mission to find a titanium flask...all in the name of reducing pack weight of course :D

Since this thread now has drifted irredeemably off line to a discussion of old-but-still-used gear . . . here goes.

I still use a two-compartment, “teardrop” shaped summit pack by Alpine Designs. It has leather shoulder straps and a leather bottom. Very simple and straighforward. Just the right size for many modest dayhikes. I also occasionally use a larger European style rucksack of similar construction by Alpine Designs that is superbly designed. Both packs are of about 1971 vintage -- a solid 35 years of basically continuous service. I also have a couple of Nalgene HDPE quart jugs -- non blue top variety -- from that same era, both sound, usable, and regularly used.

Mrs. G. and I still use a pair of Eddie Bauer down-filled mummy type sleeping bags we got in 1971. Good goods.

My oldest continuously used piece of equipment (other than a late-1940s hunting knife by Case that belonged to my father) is an early to mid 1950s vintage, two-burner Coleman gas stove.

G.

Grumpy said:
Since this thread now has drifted irredeemably off line to a discussion of old-but-still-used gear . . . here goes..

Hijacked sounds better,but at least everyone here who has a brain older than 30 years seems to have that still working and usable...even if it goes off on a tangent now and again.

Grumpy said:
Mrs. G. and I still use a pair of Eddie Bauer down-filled mummy type sleeping bags we got in 1971. Good goods.

Trumps by 4 years my LL Bean Backpacker sleeping bag. I don't know if it still fits a +20 rating, but it sure does keep me warm on those cool New England nights in the woods.