The Lightening Ascents are here!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I HIGHLY recommend AGAINST buying these shoes. I can't comment anymore, unfortunately, but I can't discourage you enough from getting these.

There was another thread on these a couple of weeks ago. I was really planning to order a pair from REI - I thought these might be awesome. I decided to zoom in on the REI pics with my photo software and I saw something that set off warning bells.
The way the cross members are attached to the frame - These are hard attachments and it seems they might stress under prolonged force or climbing peaks.

Now this is just my honest opinion and I may be totally washed up, but I thought it best to hold off until I could actually see the snowshoes in person and look at bracing of the cross members.

Wow Chomp, strong words and they make me curious.

I will say this having used MSR snowshoes for some time and broken a few of them: When talking to MSR about the failures, especially the early ones they were rather astounded about it. I got the impression where ever they were testing them was prone to have snow and ice, but not snow and ice and rock and mud and roots and....

Anyway, really curious about the strong words.

I have been looking at buying a pair of MSRs for spares for a few years as I like the design. On three occasions I have seen rental pairs of different vintages for sale in the spring (usually at the tent sale at Ragged but also at EMS). Many of the shoes for sale had potential failures in similiar places. Granted rental shoes get beat hard, but it probably is a indication of weak points in the construction. I suspect that MSR probably tracks these issues and makes upgrades so maybe they are perfect now, but I still think I would check over a rental bin.

chomp:
you said:"I HIGHLY recommend AGAINST buying these shoes. I can't comment anymore, unfortunately, but I can't discourage you enough from getting these."

well based on your pictured mtb skills i can only imagine what you did with these snowshoes!

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

shadowcat said:
well based on your pictured mtb skills i can only imagine what you did with these snowshoes!

ha! Unfortunately, I am usually not that crazy. Which is why I crashed so hard in that photo - I am not going at riding over drops at all.

SherpaKroto said:
They look good, but if you want more floatation, they do not have the optional tails. They are also heavier than the Denali Evo Ascents (which I have, and love)

I was just looking at a pair of Evo Ascents. They look pretty solid. I think with those shoes there wouldn't be much need for crampons.

Anything you don't like about them?

Last year I tried the Atlas 1030's. They worked out well, the MSR's have much more palatable price point.

-Shayne

spaddock said:
I think with those shoes there wouldn't be much need for crampons.
Snowshoes, no matter how aggressive the cleat, are no replacement for crampons. Once the wind picks up above treeline, those snowshoes will become sails, and they just can't provide the same grip as frontpoints.

-dave-